Teams that could use some BFBS

WavePunter

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said earlier...ANY team that has a white uniform (every one does)...can easily have a black one. It's not BFBS it's just an opposite color. Just like all primary baseball team Road uniforms are grey!!

People need to snap out of it. Black is beautiful as well as a neutral color.

It works for everyone.

While I wholeheartedly agree that black gets a bad rap, it doesn't go with everything. Shoot, white doesn't even go with everything.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Black certainly doesn't go with everything. It's not a colour that works for every team. I could rattle off a list of teams that black just won't work for.

As far as black already being in the scheme? It can still be BFBS. The Arizona Cardinals have always used black as a secondary colour, but I don't think their black alternates work for them. They're the oldest team in the league. They shouldn't be jumping on trends like they have been since their rebrand.

Same sort of thing with the 49ers. Yeah, their logo has always used black trim. Suggesting that it justifies a black jersey? Never mind black monochrome? Sorry, not buying it.

It does go with everything but those uniforms need an accent color to compliment it.

I disagree. I can't think of a single way to make the black Niners jersey respectable, in the spirit of their regular jerseys and adequately featuring all colors. There's also not a good way to add black to the Bears or Browns jerseys, let alone having a black alt.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think the clashing with navy and brown thing is more of a fashion faux pas than a real clashing issue, but I abide by fashion rules even when it comes to uniforms (except white after labor day).. But I also agree that black is a natural base color.. In general, think it could be used in applications to replace white (with certain exceptions)

Temple University. They originated as a night school, so if any FBS program deserves BFBS, it's them. I'm calling it now: a NIGHT OWLS alternate.

Also, TCU could really use some black again. Their current set traded that out for GFGS, when they already had a fine look, including this great alt that proved to the Toronto Raptors you can use purple and black with red as an accent to great effect.

Temple's had plenty of BFBS already.

Also, as a mod, you really shouldn't be telling someone else that their opinion on a team's color scheme is "weak." That's something you would tell a non-mod they shouldn't do ... so you shouldn't do it either. In other words, try to lead by example.

Mods are allowed to have an opinion, and are allowed to disagree with you. If you put your opinion out there in public? People can, and will, disagree with it. Mod or not.

And that's fine. It would just be preferable if you could disagree with someone without insulting them in a backhanded manner.

Isn't that exactly what crashcarson did? You're scolding someone for doing something while defending someone else for doing the exact same thing.

I think the simpler the better. Maybe just a straight change out of black for a color. A pro "blackout" type of thing? Just a once a year deal?

Why?

I thought the point was asking who could pull of a black for black's sake uni. Not that I'd want to see the Colt version but thought they'd translate well into a black color scheme if you took away the history, etc. Just the design itself.

I think the simpler the better. Maybe just a straight change out of black for a color. A pro "blackout" type of thing? Just a once a year deal?

BlackColts.jpg

But that's not proving the point. Black isn't neutral and can't go with anything. You just replaced blue with black. Try using royal blue and black together and it always looks bad. There's not enough contrast between them. A "neutral" black jersey with blue numbers, even if there's a white outline? Crap, and you couldn't make out the numbers on TV or in stadium.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think the clashing with navy and brown thing is more of a fashion faux pas than a real clashing issue, but I abide by fashion rules even when it comes to uniforms (except white after labor day).. But I also agree that black is a natural base color.. In general, think it could be used in applications to replace white (with certain exceptions)

Black absolutely clashes with navy and brown. It doesn't work well with dark red on sports uinforms, but those colors don't necessarily clash.

But like you said "with certain exceptions." I think the exceptions would far outweigh the instances where black could replace white and make a nice, legible jersey.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Also, as a mod, you really shouldn't be telling someone else that their opinion on a team's color scheme is "weak." That's something you would tell a non-mod they shouldn't do ... so you shouldn't do it either. In other words, try to lead by example.

Mods are allowed to have an opinion, and are allowed to disagree with you. If you put your opinion out there in public? People can, and will, disagree with it. Mod or not.

And that's fine. It would just be preferable if you could disagree with someone without insulting them in a backhanded manner.

Isn't that exactly what crashcarson did? You're scolding someone for doing something while defending someone else for doing the exact same thing.

Nope. crashcarson criticized SCalderwood's opinion. It's a public message board. That sort of thing is allowed.

SCalderwood implied that crashcarson's intelligence was lacking (that bit in particualr was edited out of his post) because crashcarson disagreed with him.

One targeted the post, the other targeted the poster. The former is part of open discussion and conversation. The latter is unnecessary and something we look to discourage.

I'm starting to think that "black" is taboo around here.

No, bad design is taboo around here.

Speaking personally? I have no issues with black when it's added correctly. I thought the 49ers' 90s look was solid in concept. Its major fault was darkening the red along with adding the black. The black wasn't the problem there. I'd also like to see the Lightning emphasise black more. And the LA Kings? Screw purple and gold. They're a black and silver team as far as I'm concerned.

As for BFBS specifically? I think the Calgary Flames' colour scheme has been improved with the addition of black. The uniforms are trash, but the black isn't the problem. I'm also a fan of the Minnesota North Stars' 1981-91 look, which added black to the green and gold colour scheme. The 1988-91 set is my favourite look in North Stars/Stars history.

What I disagree with you with is your assertion that black looks good with everything. I don't believe it does. It can, in some cases. In others? It just looks awful.

Speaking personally? I have no issues with black when it's added correctly. I thought the 49ers' 90s look was solid in concept. Its major fault was darkening the red along with adding the black. The black wasn't the problem there. I'd also like to see the Lightning emphasise black more. And the LA Kings? Screw purple and gold. They're a black and silver team as far as I'm concerned.

As for BFBS specifically? I think the Calgary Flames' colour scheme has been improved with the addition of black. The uniforms are trash, but the black isn't the problem. I'm also a fan of the Minnesota North Stars' 1981-91 look, which added black to the green and gold colour scheme. The 1988-91 set is my favourite look in North Stars/Stars history.

What I disagree with you with is your assertion that black looks good with everything. I don't believe it does. It can, in some cases. In others? It just looks awful.

Agreed on all points.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think the problem with BFBS is just that the color is not needed. It's tough to find a spot where black could be used and used well, because most modern identities were crafted with colors in mind. Black needs to be paired with lighter colors for a sports uniform, IMO, and no teams are using solely light colors in their design. If there was a team walking around wearing barely legible vegas, silver, and white uniforms then I'd say you could throw in some black and improve their look, but most teams already have that dark color they need, whether it is black, navy, royal, maroon, purple, green, etc. Tough to find a team nowadays that was designed lazily, at least in terms of their colors.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the Mets looked great with BFBS as an alternate. Their mistake was forcing it into the regular home and road jerseys.

90H9W5A.jpg

That jersey looks like a reward when you sign up for the Mets credit card with your local bank or something. Black should never be on the Mets jersey in an actual game. Its a fashion jersey and black blue and orange don't work for them.

Archived