FIFA officials arrested on corruption charges

Everyone's most hated snake in the grass has released a statement, which you can read here.

My opinion? Dude is a complete snake in the grass... how he is going to be the unanimous pick for president is beyond me. Why doesn't someone out there challenge him for it? It might spark change from within.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone's most hated snake in the grass has released a statement, which you can read here.

My opinion? Dude is a complete snake in the grass... how he is going to be the unanimous pick for president is beyond me. Why doesn't someone out there challenge him for it? It might spark change from within.

People have challenged and ran for the FIFA presidency. They just don't win, for obvious reasons.

Oh, that obvious reason is money (of course!)

But, come on. Someone that can come in and clean up FIFA's image would be great for them.

When the guys voting on it are the same guys whose pockets Sepp is lining, what is their motivation to vote him out? Altruism? These guys have a history of not giving a crap about the game or the fans so doing what "is right" doesn't mean much to them. To them what is right is that FIFA and they remain rich as hell and in full control of the game. Anything else is not really of interest to them.

Oh, that obvious reason is money (of course!)

But, come on. Someone that can come in and clean up FIFA's image would be great for them.

The people voting don't want to clean up FIFA's image.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I guessing that it's not going to sit well with those getting banned. I'm sure they can put up with trials and jail time as long as FIFA still backs them, but with them being thrown under the bus, it's only a matter of time before they sing like birds...

tigercatssignature-1.png

I guessing that it's not going to sit well with those getting banned. I'm sure they can put up with trials and jail time as long as FIFA still backs them, but with them being thrown under the bus, it's only a matter of time before they sing like birds...

Who said this would be a boring "off" summer for soccer...

I have never had a hard time boycotting soccer

Cute. Remind me to snark on the next hockey conversation. .p

In more local news for most of us, the Chairman of the NASL (and president of the company that owns the Carolina RailHawks) was named in the indictment, leading the league to suspend him effective immediately. The RailHawks owner has already plead guilty for his part in the bribery scandal.

http://www.nasl.com/news/2015/05/27/nasl-statement-on-us-department-of-justice-investigation

Good move. Even if they really didn't have a choice, it's the right statement to make.

Cute. Remind me to snark on the next hockey conversation.

Oh good grief. That wasn't snark. That's a fact about myself.

1,200 people have died as a direct result of this. What do you want me to say?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Cute. Remind me to snark on the next hockey conversation.

Oh good grief. That wasn't snark. That's a fact about myself.

1,200 people have died as a direct result of this. What do you want me to say?

Something NYCFC-related wouldn't be a bad place to start.

And yes, that was snark. :P

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Lol.

Just seemed like a needless cheap shot at the sport, inappropriate for a serious subject like this. As you note, the death count is appalling.

Is it really inappropriate? There are tons of people in this country who don’t watch college athletics because they don’t support an immoral organization in the NCAA.

1200 people have died building stadiums already for soccer’s grand cathedral event and nothing’s being done. Nobody cares. And we’re still 7.5 years from the tournament.

McCarthy indicated he isn’t a soccer fan and that actions like these help keep him from getting involved. I don’t see what’s inappropriate here.

6fQjS3M.png

Lol.

Just seemed like a needless cheap shot at the sport, inappropriate for a serious subject like this. As you note, the death count is appalling.

As I said, just seemed like a needless cheap shot, which the soccer threads tend to attract for some reason. If that's not what was intended, McCarthy, then I apologize.

We both agree that the death count is appalling. In this case this isn't the standard "Lol soccer sucks foot fairies itz gay AF!!!!!". Most of the time I just flat out ignore the sport and I don't come into the threads at all. It's not for me, but I get why people like it so most of the time I leave them alone. Now, though, this is an extreme case and in this case because the death count is so appalling I disagree that it was a cheap shot or needless or inappropriate.

I could've said "I don't watch soccer and now I will continue not to", but I chose to dress it up in angrier language because that's the spice of life.

PvO6ZWJ.png

FWIW, I think it's perfectly understandable for someone who doesn't care for soccer in the first place to be even less inclined to watch the World Cup because of these issues. Like I don't care for basketball as it is, and if some egregious scandal were to emerge in the NBA, it certainly wouldn't help my attitude towards the league/sport.

This has been an interesting little scandal, but then I was just thinking, "hey, international financial conspiracy, by now shouldn't someone be blaming this all on the Jews somehow?"

PORT OF SPAIN (Reuters) - Former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner has blamed Zionism for the circumstances that led to him and former Asian Football Confederation chief Mohammed Bin Hammam being forced out of world football.

Warner, 68, resigned from FIFA after ethics investigations were begun into a meeting he held with Bin Hammam where FIFA say payments were made to Caribbean soccer officials ahead of the election for FIFA president in June.

Qatari Bin Hammam was handed a lifetime ban by FIFA for his role in the affair while a number of Caribbean officials were given suspensions last week.

Bin Hammam was not immediately available for comment.

Trinadadian Warner says in a letter to the Trinidad Guardian, which will be published in full on Tuesday, he intends to speak out on the affair and highlighted who he felt was to blame for his downfall.

"I will talk about the Zionism, which probably is the most important reason why this acrid attack on Bin Hammam and me was mounted," Warner told the newspaper.

The train's never late!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This has been an interesting little scandal, but then I was just thinking, "hey, international financial conspiracy, by now shouldn't someone be blaming this all on the Jews somehow?"

PORT OF SPAIN (Reuters) - Former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner has blamed Zionism for the circumstances that led to him and former Asian Football Confederation chief Mohammed Bin Hammam being forced out of world football.

Warner, 68, resigned from FIFA after ethics investigations were begun into a meeting he held with Bin Hammam where FIFA say payments were made to Caribbean soccer officials ahead of the election for FIFA president in June.

Qatari Bin Hammam was handed a lifetime ban by FIFA for his role in the affair while a number of Caribbean officials were given suspensions last week.

Bin Hammam was not immediately available for comment.

Trinadadian Warner says in a letter to the Trinidad Guardian, which will be published in full on Tuesday, he intends to speak out on the affair and highlighted who he felt was to blame for his downfall.

"I will talk about the Zionism, which probably is the most important reason why this acrid attack on Bin Hammam and me was mounted," Warner told the newspaper.

The train's never late!

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

ahaha....

ha..............

I'm sad now.

*scans list of charges*

Good Lord, these :censored: s are literally a superweapon away from being Bond villains.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived