NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Oh and besides New Jersey and the Islanders are in a market with 3 NHL teams! The Coyotes on the other hand occupy a whole state or 2(if you count New Mexico)!

And to further my point the Islanders suck and the Devils are doing mediocre compared with their previous seasons, while Phoenix has a pretty decent team who can compete for the play-offs!

I'm sorry but to compare the situation in Glendale to New Jersey/Long Island is ludicrous Eye...(see what I did their!)

And even if they were discussing putting another team in Ontario, I'm sure Hamilton would come heads above Markham.... besides the Maple Leafs wouldn't allow a team so close to Toronto, if Hamilton is struggling then Markham will really struggle!

The Markham idea is interesting. Sure, the Leafs would demand some astronomical amount of money for territorial rights, but they would already do that with another team anywhere in Southern Ontario. There's probably a limit of how much they can ask for, right? The part I wonder about is could a team in Markham get away without paying the Sabres anything? It's considerably further from Buffalo than Hamilton is. I would worry a little about another Southern Ontario team's impact on my Sabres, but it just makes so much sense to have another team somewhere around Toronto. There are 6 million people in the GTA and 12 million people in Southern Ontario; do the conversion of how much Americans care about hockey to how much Canadians care about hockey and you could seriously support three NHL teams in Toronto. What percentage of the league's teams are in financial trouble? The NHL needs to stick its franchises wherever they will be supported.

There are 6 million people in the GTA and 12 million people in Southern Ontario; do the conversion of how much Americans care about hockey to how much Canadians care about hockey and you could seriously support three NHL teams in Toronto.

if the Maple Leafs weren't The Passion That Unites Us All

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Being a football fan England makes me a different breed of fan, the only fan that comes close to a English football fan is a hockey fan, but still a good country mile off.

I dunno about that. Some of us hockey fans are willing to stay up until 3am to watch games, splash out on GameCenter Live to watch said games, and splash out again to watch their favourite teams in person the one time they come over to Europe to play.

You probably spend about the same amount of money for a single ticket :P

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

And even if they were discussing putting another team in Ontario, I'm sure Hamilton would come heads above Markham.... besides the Maple Leafs wouldn't allow a team so close to Toronto, if Hamilton is struggling then Markham will really struggle!

The Markham idea is interesting. Sure, the Leafs would demand some astronomical amount of money for territorial rights, but they would already do that with another team anywhere in Southern Ontario. There's probably a limit of how much they can ask for, right? The part I wonder about is could a team in Markham get away without paying the Sabres anything? It's considerably further from Buffalo than Hamilton is. I would worry a little about another Southern Ontario team's impact on my Sabres, but it just makes so much sense to have another team somewhere around Toronto. There are 6 million people in the GTA and 12 million people in Southern Ontario; do the conversion of how much Americans care about hockey to how much Canadians care about hockey and you could seriously support three NHL teams in Toronto. What percentage of the league's teams are in financial trouble? The NHL needs to stick its franchises wherever they will be supported.

Markham's not happening. MLSE made it very clear they weren't going to tolerate a team in Hamilton. They sure as hell won't allow one in Markham. It's not as simple as paying a territorial rights fee. The Leafs have one of the most hockey-mad markets all to themselves. Why would they give that up if they didn't have to?

As for the Sabres, a team in Markham would hurt them as much as a team in Hamilton would. The Sabres draw in fans from southern Ontario that can't get Leafs tickets. Put a second team in southern Ontario and you suddenly have an option for those fans within driving distance that doesn't include a border crossing.

I'd really like to know just how many Southern Ontario ticketholders come from north or west of Hamilton, or even Hamilton proper. While there's no question that there's a Canadian presence at Sabres games, I feel like the extent of their necessity is overstated by Canadians who want to pretend they have a seven-and-a-halfth team. This isn't an argument for a team in Hamilton; I'm not really in favor of one because I know it can't be allowed to happen. Hamilton's just sorta dicked. The end.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd really like to know just how many Southern Ontario ticketholders come from north or west of Hamilton, or even Hamilton proper. While there's no question that there's a Canadian presence at Sabres games, I feel like the extent of their necessity is overstated by Canadians who want to pretend they have a seven-and-a-halfth team. This isn't an argument for a team in Hamilton; I'm not really in favor of one because I know it can't be allowed to happen. Hamilton's just sorta dicked. The end.

Actually it was the Sabres who played the "we have lots of Canadian fans we can't afford to lose" card last time Balsilie was making noise about a team in Hamilton.

I don't know of any Canadian fans who claim the Sabres as a "Canadian" team.

BuffaLOL is just the default city for Torontonians who want to seem American. Bills season ticket holders, Sabres ticket buyers, etc etc. It's close, so it reaps the rewards, kinda like (to an extent) Seattle does for Vancouverites.

Except most Vancouverites don't give a rat's ass about the Mariners or the Seahawks.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Page 2...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/david-shoalts/whats-next-for-mlse/article2251448/page2/

Thursday is deadline day for Glendale, Ariz., to come up with an owner who will buy the Coyotes from the NHL and keep them in the Phoenix suburb. But don?t expect the NHL to stick to its deadline. Why start now?

It?s hard to meet a deadline if there is no owner in sight. An NHL source who keeps an eye on the situation says it isn?t clear if Chicago White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf is still in the picture. Former San Jose Sharks president Greg Jamison is said to have a conditional deal but one of the major conditions is that he raise the money, which is proving to be a challenge.

Folks in Quebec are best advised to stay on alert.

baltimoreravens.png

I'd also say the longer we don't hear what the NHL intends to do about reel-line-mint, the more likely it is the Coyotes are going somewhere. Obviously if they go to the East, Detroit and Columbus would almost certainly have to stay West.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

The only thing we go to Buffalo for is the Walden Galleria, though we did go see Canada/Russia play at the World Jrs. last year...

Yes, well Johnny Rocket's.

They have them in the GTA, no need to sit in the car at the boarder salivating anymore.

Plus, Johnny has nothing on the Triple O out in Vancouver.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)