NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

5 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Swift Current. Where Life Makes Sense, Where a NHL Team Makes Sense.

Rampant sexual abuse and a fatal bus crash? Now that's a real hockey market! Move the Bruins there post-haste.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Friedman said last week that he believes Houston will be an NHL city someday but thinks Atlanta is a tougher sell and that the league may not want to expand in case they need a backup plan if the Coyotes don't get Tempe*. 

The league's backup plans for the Coyotes:

1. Prescott

2. Scottsdale rec rink

3. Glendale, we've changed baby, we swear

4. Shoveling dark money to Kari Lake's next run for governor with a promise to rebrand as the "Arizona Unwokes"

5. Pulling an '83 Blues, attaching a $1 billion expansion fee to the "new" team with money that simultaneously does and does not exist

6. Moving out of state

• Like 1

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Diamond Sports Group officially filed for bankruptcy today. This is extremely dangerous to our democracy. I mean, our freeloading sports teams. As I said, MLB can get through this because they're actually in the digital media business, the NBA can get through this because people don't watch NBA games, they just talk about talking about talking about NBA games, but the NHL, man, this could smack hockey-related revenue right in the dick.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

NHL Big City Greens Classic' adds new dimension to Rangers-Capitals game

I actually enjoyed this last night. I'm also a  Big City Greens fan, so it was pretty fun to see an urbanized version of the Winter Classic. 

NHL Big City Greens Classic Official Trailer | @disneychannel - YouTube

And apparently there was a trade between Bill Green and Alice Green since they were playing goalie for the opposite team last night. Maybe the NFL and ESPN could do this for a preseason game in the future. It's nice to see the technology that was originally used in the AAF app is in use for something else. 

AAF Debuts with First Week of Football—and Fan Gaming AppAlliance of American Football Mobile App | OKO.design

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I guess I’m confused as to what the Big City Greens is, and why there was a Winter Classic version of it?? Can anyone explain this? 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I guess I’m confused as to what the Big City Greens is, and why there was a Winter Classic version of it?? Can anyone explain this? 

It's a Disney Channel cartoon. I think they wanted to copy Nickelodeon's wild card games and decided that one way to do it without the slime and cannons was to make it into a video game.

Big City Greens (TV Series 2018– ) - IMDb

There was a hiccup on the 2nd Rangers goal since it comes from outside the area.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

23 hours ago, IceCap said:

Again, you're advocating for the league to keep a team in Arizona, a market that has been nothing but red ink since 1996, while Quebec City just sits there. That's leaving money on the table man, and no amount of whatif's will change that.

I'm still of the belief that Arizona still hasn't had a proper shot. They started off playing in a basketball-specific arena that was in a decent location, but had an awful setup with poor sightlines & the jumbotron over the blue line. Then they completely shot themselves in the foot by moving west & committing to the city of Glendale. 

I am realistic about the situation, and am fully supportive of the Yotes finding a new home if they can't get this new arena approved. However, people seem to think the league/owners should just rip the team out of Maruelo's hands and move it unilaterally, which isn't how it works at all.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'm still of the belief that Arizona still hasn't had a proper shot.

The Arizona Coyotes have been given more shots since 1996 than any resident of the state has gotten since 2021.

• Like 11
  • LOL 4

I know most of the "Bettman is going to gift Bedard to the Coyotes" narrative is tongue-in-cheek, but it's pretty sad that there are people who actually believe it. If the league had the ability to rig the lottery, McDavid would be playing in Toronto & Matthews would already be in Arizona.

52 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I know most of the "Bettman is going to gift Bedard to the Coyotes" narrative is tongue-in-cheek, but it's pretty sad that there are people who actually believe it. If the league had the ability to rig the lottery, McDavid would be playing in Toronto & Matthews would already be in Arizona.

It's also the fact people thinking that Ernst & Young would be okay with the NHL rigging the lottery and then auditing/certifying the rigging and not considering what that might bring for E&Y's reputation if it was ever revealed.

Ernst & Young sure ain't going let Gary Bettman and the Arizona Coyotes become their Enron.

IbjBaeE.png

11 minutes ago, TalktoChuck said:

EY has survived much worse scandals than rigging the draft of a sports league most people outside of Canada don't care about. Their reputation is far from spotless.

Sure, yeah. But I just don't think they're going to let the NHL draft Lottery be one of those things. Maybe they are so egotistical and money hungry that they would turn an blind eye and shred the ping pong balls, but I think they wouldn't care enough/not enough money to want to take that chance for something like the NHL lottery and the Arizona Coyotes to be the Enron. It would be funny though for the rigging of the NHL draft lottery be the one scandal that Ernst & Young can't weather.

Plus, there's too many people involved in the lottery process for nothing to have leaked out if it actually has been rigged in the past.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

8 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Counterpoint- the NHL is incompetent (hello this thread) and if they tried to rig it they'd find a way to screw it up. 

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

I honestly don't think the NHL draft lottery is rigged. I do think the NBA draft lottery is totally rigged. I will not be taking further questions at this time.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I doubt the NHL would rig the lottery, knowing there's a representative of each team present when they spin the balls. But Gary Bettman is desperate to keep the Yotes in AZ for whatever reason. He purposely set the Draft before the election, so that even if they don't get Bedard, they could use any elite prospect to try to convince voters to approve the deal.

It's not completely out of the realm of possibility that he could rig the lottery. But realistically, I believe it's unlikely that he would do that.

• Yawn 1

2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I doubt the NHL would rig the lottery, knowing there's a representative of each team present when they spin the balls. But Gary Bettman is desperate to keep the Yotes in AZ for whatever reason. He purposely set the Draft before the election, so that even if they don't get Bedard, they could use any elite prospect to try to convince voters to approve the deal.

It's not completely out of the realm of possibility that he could rig the lottery. But realistically, I believe it's unlikely that he would do that.

INT.   TEMPE CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS - NIGHT

Gary Bettman enters the Tempe Council Chambers  

GARY BETTMAN

(nervous excitement, almost as if trying to convince himself as well)

"Just you wait Tempe, Leo Carlsson is going to suit up for the Coyotes next year!"

TEMPE CITY COUNCILOR #1

(perplexed)

"Uhhh, who?" 

Tempe City Councilor #1 votes no to arena deal.

SCENE

IbjBaeE.png

The NHL rigging their lotteries would be dumb given how little impact a top player has compared to the NBA. But good news, the NHL is really dumb, so instead of rigging it or maybe just allowing this year's top prospect to land somewhere where he might be appreciated, they would totally cheat in order to send this year's top prospect down some black hole where he'll never be seen or heard from again, just so Bettman can more easily convince some government sandbillies in greater Phoenix to push another bogus stadium through so the NHL's most useless franchise can continue being useless, because this is a for-profit league and we need to Grow The Game, sorry you can't understand that sweetie-cakes.

• Like 3
  • Yawn 1

8 hours ago, who do you think said:

The NHL rigging their lotteries would be dumb given how little impact a top player has compared to the NBA.

You're not wrong, but here's two exceptions.  Top pics that were by-in-large the catalysts for two separate elite eras.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."