NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Their policy, as best I can suss it out, is that you're not allowed to hurt a fanbase's collective feelings, but because people in, say, Hamilton and Quebec don't have teams, they can't constitute fanbases, per se, and so they don't have collective feelings to hurt and subsequently manage. It was open season on Winnipeg fans before they had their team, and the mods didn't let them retaliate. So by saying "this commercial sucks" or "there are major rhetorical flaws and errors which I would like to point out," you are flaming an entire fanbase, I guess.

Makes perfect sense... it's the Dred Scott of HFBoards.

The other problem with this ad campaign that dawned on me is that they're trying to sell a new regime that in so many ways is still the old regime, but for "a new owner." You locked up the same trap/shell coach for like eight years, guaranteeing more of the unwatchable hockey that so often went unwatched for the last four years. You locked up the dumpster-diving GM, guaranteeing that you'll still settle for digging up the Rob Klinkhammers of the world and having them shot-block their way to staying in the league for once. You locked up a goalie who just had a bad year and recently extended an aging compiler.

So yeah, continuity is good, I guess, but the only continuity is that of an organization that was just good enough to get by without acquainting itself with much greatness. So how do you sell that anything is new and improved when it's neither? Well, you just talk around it by talking about a season you had two years ago, then you flat-out Make Crap Up by saying you have "a new home," and then for good measure you make a bald-faced appeal-to-emotion fallacy by adding "HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT!" notwithstanding the fact that it wouldn't belong there anymore had a firefighter not signed over millions of tax dollars to "a hero" right after actual firefighters died being heroes.

So really, the only signs of new management to be found are

1) parking was free and now they charge for it, and

2) they signed Mike Ribeiro, who is being hailed as a savior right now, but give it a month before we find him doing gargantuan lines off some Scottsdale hosebag's leather-coated water balloons.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Their policy, as best I can suss it out, is that you're not allowed to hurt a fanbase's collective feelings, but because people in, say, Hamilton and Quebec don't have teams, they can't constitute fanbases, per se, and so they don't have collective feelings to hurt and subsequently manage. It was open season on Winnipeg fans before they had their team, and the mods didn't let them retaliate. So by saying "this commercial sucks" or "there are major rhetorical flaws and errors which I would like to point out," you are flaming an entire fanbase, I guess.

I think Plessy v. Ferguson is the case you were looking for.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think Plessy v. Ferguson is the case you were looking for.

Dred Scott was a slave who sued his owner for his freedom. The Supreme Court basically said "F*** you... you're not a person; you're a piece of property, so you don't even have standing to sue someone in the first place." It's what I thought of when I pictured a hypothetical Quebec fan or Hamilton fan complaining on HFBoards about someone trolling them, only to find out that they don't even have a "fanbase" to offend since they don't have a team to be a fan of. And the end result is that the authorities let the trolling continue. "Trolling" in the first instance is, of course, slavery.

http://nypost.com/2013/09/17/buyer-set-for-florida-panthers/

The Panthers are so under the radar that we didn't even realize they had gotten to the point of a fire to be put out. I can't wait to see how awful this round of Panthers ownership is.

Completely Reputable New Jersey Businessman Vinnie Viola should be just the tonic for this organization!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

are the Florida Panthers for sale? and would they be moved somewhere?? That I am interested in knowing....

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

1. league ownership (Yotes, Mallards, Expos)

2. merger (oft-forgot option)

3. relocation ("Northern expansion" is the current era of the NHL)

4. contraction (rare)

Can't wait to see the Panthers move even though they arrived at the height of my hockey-loving childhood (Vanbiesbrouck/Panthers jersey for Christmas).

Can someone please explain the SPHL/abundance of ECHL teams in the Southern backwater? Somebody must care about the Pee Dee Cyclones...

The ECHL makes some sense in that these mid-sized arenas need anchor tenants and hey why not minor-league hockey. I can't explain the SPHL. No one can.

I don't think the Panthers are moving, though from what I've gleaned, this seems to break up the all-important cross-ownership between the hockey team and Sunrise Sports & Entertainment.

So no more PARTY CITY FLORIDA PANTHERS PRESENTED BY YOUR SOUTH FLORIDA LEXUS DEALERS POST-GAME CELEBRATION (regardless of outcome) HAND MADE BY MOES' SOUTHWESTERN GRILL WELCOME TO MOEEESSS! CEELLLLEEEBBBRAAATTTEEEE GOOOOD TIMES, COME ON! AND LOOK WHO'S DANCING WITH STANLEY C. PANTHER AT THE ADT DANCE DECK SERVED BY BUD LIGHT, IT'S THE GEICO GECKO when this sale goes through? :(

• Like 2

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I don't think the Panthers are moving, though from what I've gleaned, this seems to break up the all-important cross-ownership between the hockey team and Sunrise Sports & Entertainment.

Don't they still have an "ironclad" lease with the arena? Isn't that part of the reason the Panthers have never really entered the relocation discussions?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I think so, which is what makes this confusing if Vinny the String isn't buying the rest of SSE. What's the point of the loss leader if you just have the losses? Of course, he could be buying the whole package, in which case disregard.

There's been a lot of ownership turnover in the NHL, I've noticed. Three this year alone, then going back you have Dallas, then Atlanta/Winnipeg, Tampa Bay, and Florida again. I might have even missed a few.

Looking for documentation and confirmation, but a report on Twitter says Vinny "The Lead Pipe" Viola has an estimated net worth of $35 million.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I saw that the owner (who was one of two who bought the team in 2009 -- the other guy ran out of money, always a good sign) is going through a messy divorce. Maybe it's like the Stars sale, where the whole thing could just be had for assumption of debt.

Still, giving primary ownership to a guy who's worth less than some pro athletes make in a year is more than a little disconcerting, especially on the heels of the Coyotes sale in which the team was transferred with a giant loan, a giant subsidy, and very little money down. I get that the NHL will do anything to hold down the forts, but these aren't going to hold anything down too well.

For what it's worth, the Miami Herald is reporting that Vinnie Viola is purchasing Sunrise Sports & Entertainment in its entirety, including both the Florida Panthers and the management rights to the BB&T Center. The latter portion of the SS&E portfolio is what generates the considerable revenue that offsets the Panthers losses.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/19/3634940/new-york-businessman-leading-group.html

"Sunrise Sports & Entertainment, which operates the arena, is the profitable arm of the Florida Panthers family of companies and is said to be part of the transaction."

I thought he had a chance of moving the team to Quebec City or Seattle seeing he has no ties to Miami..

then he bought Sunrise.

I want this ass on a silver platter by 2020.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom