NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Uh, so, the NHL Network just advertised Mike Smith Bobblehead Night for this Saturday's game in Glendale on NHL Tonight. And not some misplaced commercial, right after the second run through of the Ducks/Yotes highlights.

What the hell? I thought they didn't own the team anymore and now they're advertising game tickets? Come the :censored: on.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Is it me or is every other spot on NHL Network for JDate?

That and those stupid penny-auction sites.

Go ahead and make whatever connections you want between those two facts and all-glorious Commissioner Bettman.

• 2 weeks later...

Court documents show the Coyotes lost $112,708,322 during their 4 seasons under league ownership.

Gonna be really tough for this new ownership to show $50,000,000 in losses over 5 years. They have to hit the number exactly, right?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Their promo video showed a player lifting the Stanley Cup... their intentions are pretty darn clear, but the NHL likes people who don't make a fuss. Them doing all kinds of crazy stuff to get noticed like Balsillie did won't get a team back to Quebec any faster.

damn it feels good to be a government-subsidized gangster:

In August 2013, a group headed by George Gosbee and Anthony LeBlanc purchased the Coyotes and a new operating lease for Jobing.com arena for $170 million. The capital structure for the team consists of $45 million of equity, a $120 million loan from Fortress Investment Group (to be repaid by the annual fee Glendale taxpayers are going to pay the team to run the arena), and an $85 million loan from the NHL. The $80 million of the total capital investment ($250 million)—which exceeds the enterprise value of the purchase ($170 million)—will be used as working capital to reduce the likelihood that the new owners will need to make capital calls if the team loses money over the next few years. In addition, the NHL has promised the new owners that they will get the maximum amount of revenue from the league’s revenue-sharing system.

I haven't poked around everywhere yet, but I see they're saying $67MM in revenue with $10MM from the gate. That seems odd. Toronto has $142MM with $60MM from the gate. So where are the other $57 million coming from? Apparently from the other teams.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Does anyone else think it's weird that Toronto only has 6x the gate revenue that Phoenix does? I could easily see a $10 upper level Coyotes ticket being $60 dollars or more in Toronto... that's even before considering that the Leafs sell those tickets.

Admiral, you forgot the other facet of Coyotes revenue... parking, of course! That's like a multi-hundred dollar revenue stream right there.

Does anyone else think it's weird that Toronto only has 6x the gate revenue that Phoenix does? I could easily see a $10 upper level Coyotes ticket being $60 dollars or more in Toronto... that's even before considering that the Leafs sell those tickets.

I've seen nosebleeds in the ACC go for $150. I'm not sure what's accounting for it, honestly. Snow birds packing the Jobberdome for 'Hawks and 'Wings games inflating the numbers, perhaps?

Admiral, you forgot the other facet of Coyotes revenue... parking, of course! That's like a multi-hundred dollar revenue stream right there.

I'm interested to see how much money they're making off of parking. They made a huge deal about it being this untapped revenue source. I'm interested in seeing how well they're doing on that front.

20131125_211916_zps9f9bb401.jpg

OH :censored: YOU FOREVER GLENDALE

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't think the greengrocer's apostrophe is Glendale's fault. Still, that's really sad that they're doing deep discounts for what I take to be one of their bigger draws. Or is this like an inverse of the priceouts Nashville and St. Louis tried, only here they'll give away the seats to load up the place with sandbillies instead of Hawks fans? Everything is confusing me. It's late. I'm tired. I want to go to bed.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't think the greengrocer's apostrophe is Glendale's fault. Still, that's really sad that they're doing deep discounts for what I take to be one of their bigger draws. Or is this like an inverse of the priceouts Nashville and St. Louis tried, only here they'll give away the seats to load up the place with sandbillies instead of Hawks fans? Everything is confusing me. It's late. I'm tired. I want to go to bed.

Then go to bed. It's not like the Hawks game is very interesting at this point.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

I'm interested to see how much money they're making off of parking. They made a huge deal about it being this untapped revenue source. I'm interested in seeing how well they're doing on that front.

Fun Fact: I parked in a non-game-designated lot right up front at Westgate for the Ducks game. Free of charge.

Unless you just blindly follow the signs, there's nothing forcing you to the game lots.

• Like 1