NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

image_zps5e37ab01.jpg

Not a damn thing stopping you from going to the inner "Westgate Entertainment" lots. And if memory serves, aren't the Coyotes Westgate Entertainment?

Yeah I'm not paying $15 for parking or $20 for premium Lot G (or the $12/$15 pre-paid) when I can park closer for free. Nice job, guys.

(Also, map not to scale. This place is not big at all.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Unless you just blindly follow the signs, there's nothing forcing you to the game lots.

Yes, but Arizonans are kind of America's clubhouse leader in blind following. Blind following is why they're in this whole mess in the first place!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

image_zps5e37ab01.jpg

There's a Lake Glendale? OH WHAT THE HELL?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

image_zps5e37ab01.jpg

Not a damn thing stopping you from going to the inner "Westgate Entertainment" lots. And if memory serves, aren't the Coyotes Westgate Entertainment?

Yeah I'm not paying $15 for parking or $20 for premium Lot G (or the $12/$15 pre-paid) when I can park closer for free. Nice job, guys.

I highly, freaking doubt that an NFL mega-stadium is smaller than the Coyotes pathetic excuse of an arena. I highly doubt that it's even smaller than Lot E.

What was in that freaking tap water those surveyors in Arizona drank?

image_zps5e37ab01.jpg

Did you get a sense of how many people are actually using the pay lots?

Not really, we skipped right through and it's not something I thought about looking at until after the fact. All the "Westgate Entertainment" lots were filled up though. And there aren't enough spots in those lots to accommodate everyone that's at Westgate and going to the Coyote game (or concerts. These pay lots are supposed to be for all arena events). So people obviously have to and did use the Coyote specific lots. (And the Outlet mall parking was jam packed too. idk if that was because of people actually at the outlets, or more people taking free parking.)

But there lies the rub. On a Coyote game night or concert night, people really just can't go to Westgate to do anything else. If the regular free lots are filled up, the only available lots would be the pay event lots, and if I'm a general citizen that just wants to go to the movies or Buffalo Wild Wings or the Yard House or whatever, you're not going to go. Or you have to organize your activities around avoiding the event times.

Basically, as we've said for the entirety of this whole ordeal, putting an arena in a strip mall is a bad idea. Or at least putting an arena in a strip mall and not figuring out how you're going to charge for parking from the get go.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

You say "only" six times like it's not that much. $50 million isn't exactly a rounding error, you know!

Those numbers just seem really wrong. I took some shortcuts to make this math quick, and that may invalidate my final answer, but chew on this:

$50M more gate revenue for TOR than PHX ÷ 41 home games ÷ roughly 18,500 seats average between the two arenas = $66 more revenue per seat, per game for the Leafs. Only $66 more for the ACC than the Glendale Fortress of Solitude? Doesn't seem like the right markup.

That's if we were talking about two teams selling every ticket, but Toronto always sells out and Phoenix has been in the 70%'s (80 so far this season, but still).

Edit: Interesting to add that I could go to Ticketmaster and buy at least single seats for upcoming Leafs games when every one will be sold out eventually, but I physically could not purchase Coyotes tickets through Ticketmaster for some reason. I don't know what's up with that, but the Coyotes would not even sell me a first-hand ticket. Wonder why they're not making money?

Admiral, you forgot the other facet of Coyotes revenue... parking, of course! That's like a multi-hundred dollar revenue stream right there.

I'm interested to see how much money they're making off of parking. They made a huge deal about it being this untapped revenue source. I'm interested in seeing how well they're doing on that front.

Fun Fact: I parked in a non-game-designated lot right up front at Westgate for the Ducks game. Free of charge.

Unless you just blindly follow the signs, there's nothing forcing you to the game lots.

Yeah, I went to a Coyotes - Kings game earlier this year, and I just parked over by the Johnny Rocket's in a free parking lot (I believe Lot J). It was still a shorter walk than the walk I take to get from my car to the Honda Center when I go to Ducks games.

20131125_211916_zps9f9bb401.jpg

OH :censored: YOU FOREVER GLENDALE

I've seen worse. They used to have a thing where you get 2 free tickets when you buy a $20 bottle of Absolute or Stoli or something from Fry's (a local grocery store).

maybe but that's $24.75 for a NHL ticket, a hot dog and Pepsi per person to see the current Stanley Cup champs play. I spent more than that to take my wife to see Phantom of the Opera for her birthday years ago.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I've seen worse. They used to have a thing where you get 2 free tickets when you buy a $20 bottle of Absolute or Stoli or something from Fry's (a local grocery store).

maybe but that's $24.75 for a NHL ticket, a hot dog and Pepsi per person to see the current Stanley Cup champs play. I spent more than that to take my wife to see Phantom of the Opera for her birthday years ago.

... on a Saturday night, no less. Those should be the easy tickets to sell.

I think the usual Blackhawks bump may be lessened by the Thanksgiving weekend.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If they have trouble selling a Saturday game against the defending Cup champions, how in blue hell do they promote a Tuesday game in March against the Florida Panthers?

Weird definition of "lake". More like a puddle.

GlendalePuddle_zpsafcb1e6f.png

If this water fountain constitutes a "lake" in Arizona, what constitutes an "ocean?"

If they have trouble selling a Saturday game against the defending Cup champions, how in blue hell do they promote a Tuesday game in March against the Florida Panthers?

Weird definition of "lake". More like a puddle.

GlendalePuddle_zpsafcb1e6f.png

If this water fountain constitutes a "lake" in Arizona, what constitutes an "ocean?"

wetnwild01.jpg

IbjBaeE.png

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--everybody-gets-paid--nhl-s-multi-billion-dollar-canadian-tv-deal-enriches-league-from-top-to-bottom-225401414.html

Say you’re the Coyotes. You have been at or near the bottom of the league in attendance in recent years. You want to win, draw fans and make the business work on your own. But the cap and floor are more manageable. You don’t have to hit attendance targets to receive revenue-sharing anymore. Your cut of the Canadian TV revenue now is $4.75 million a year at the current exchange rate, but it will shoot up to an average of about $13.8 million a year over the next dozen years – a $9.05 million difference per year. Now factor in revenue from the American TV deal, the outdoor games, a World Cup, other international events, et cetera.

And now consider this: If the NHL does expand – to, say, Quebec City and Seattle – the owners will split hundreds of millions of dollars in fees between them, and they won’t have to share any of that money with the players.

“We didn’t buy the Coyotes, we’re managing the Coyotes,” said Coyotes executive chairman George Gosbee in an interview last month. “We bought 1/30th of the NHL, and we’re extremely bullish on the NHL and what they’ve been able to do with the new collective bargaining agreement, where we’re going, the revenue projections over the next three years. We’re extremely bullish on it.”

The Canadian TV deal is one reason why.

Poor Pierre-Karl Peladeau.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

$150 for a single Leafs ticket.

Go :censored: yourself, Glendale.

Wait a minute, is that for ANY ticket at the ACC? As in, $150 even for something in the nosebleeds? God does Toronto have some ridiculous ticket inflation.

It depends on the game. On Stubhub, some Leafs games start at around $50, while others start at $150. The next Leafs-Habs game at the ACC starts at $230 (and that's just standing room only, if you want a seat, it's at least $300).