NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--everybody-gets-paid--nhl-s-multi-billion-dollar-canadian-tv-deal-enriches-league-from-top-to-bottom-225401414.html

Say you’re the Coyotes. You have been at or near the bottom of the league in attendance in recent years. You want to win, draw fans and make the business work on your own. But the cap and floor are more manageable. You don’t have to hit attendance targets to receive revenue-sharing anymore. Your cut of the Canadian TV revenue now is $4.75 million a year at the current exchange rate, but it will shoot up to an average of about $13.8 million a year over the next dozen years – a $9.05 million difference per year. Now factor in revenue from the American TV deal, the outdoor games, a World Cup, other international events, et cetera.

And now consider this: If the NHL does expand – to, say, Quebec City and Seattle – the owners will split hundreds of millions of dollars in fees between them, and they won’t have to share any of that money with the players.

“We didn’t buy the Coyotes, we’re managing the Coyotes,” said Coyotes executive chairman George Gosbee in an interview last month. “We bought 1/30th of the NHL, and we’re extremely bullish on the NHL and what they’ve been able to do with the new collective bargaining agreement, where we’re going, the revenue projections over the next three years. We’re extremely bullish on it.”

The Canadian TV deal is one reason why.

Poor Pierre-Karl Peladeau.

Hmm....even if the league doesn't expand, the NHL looks hell-bent on working the numbers to where the Coyotes don't lose $50 million in 5 years....

$150 for a single Leafs ticket.

Go :censored: yourself, Glendale.

Wait a minute, is that for ANY ticket at the ACC? As in, $150 even for something in the nosebleeds? God does Toronto have some ridiculous ticket inflation.

It depends on the game. On Stubhub, some Leafs games start at around $50, while others start at $150. The next Leafs-Habs game at the ACC starts at $230 (and that's just standing room only, if you want a seat, it's at least $300).

I was on Ticketmaster, and on a Tuesday night, (what I'm assuming are) standing room tickets were $40; real seats started at $70.

Off topic, but three weeks ago, a Bulls ticket in the 17th row of the upper deck in the end zone was $186 face. I had to search it again 3 times I was in such disbelief. It was for a Sunday afternoon Heat game a few months from now. (In 2010 you could get 2-for-1 tix in the 2nd row of 300 for every game in January.) No idea if prices went down since "the sequel."

On topic: I said to myself in that moment, "That's worse than the Blackhawks." NHL can gouge with the best of them in prime markets. I used to joke that you couldn't get in the door for less than $100, but that's conservative now I'm sure.

For the record, I bought group tickets to the Hawks-Panthers game on Sunday 12/8. 300 level, in the corner, lower rows. $75 per ticket. Not bad, considering.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Off topic, but three weeks ago, a Bulls ticket in the 17th row of the upper deck in the end zone was $186 face. I had to search it again 3 times I was in such disbelief. It was for a Sunday afternoon Heat game a few months from now. (In 2010 you could get 2-for-1 tix in the 2nd row of 300 for every game in January.) No idea if prices went down since "the sequel."

On topic: I said to myself in that moment, "That's worse than the Blackhawks." NHL can gouge with the best of them in prime markets. I used to joke that you couldn't get in the door for less than $100, but that's conservative now I'm sure.

$186 face value? Like the price the team charges at the box office? Near top row on an end? Do they do variable pricing or something? If so then it's understandable that there will be incredible demand for that one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

$186 face value? Like the price the team charges at the box office? Near top row on an end? Do they do variable pricing or something? If so then it's understandable that there will be incredible demand for that one.
Not that I could find beyond a top level of $90 for that ticket. I searched Ticketmaster, went back to the seating chart/price guide three times because I thought somehow I had doubled my "order." Passed on that one. But got a great ticket for a TNT Nets-Bulls matchup instead. Ugh. Maybe if I spill my drink on my seat I can get a refund.

Sorry, back to hockey. When's the earliest the Coyotes can move? And are the Panthers really candidates for Quebec? It'd leave Tampa Bay on an island in their division, plus it's a foregone conclusion that Seattle and QC are getting expansion teams, right? Right?

Count keeps saying "there are no expansion talks at this moment," but because stewardess, I speak Count, that means "there aren't talks at this particular moment along the continuum of time because at said moment I am talking to you which precludes me from talking to them." Seattle and QC will be expansion destinations for better or worse, by which I mean worse. I don't like it, but it does end up being a funny coda to Seattle fans' insisting Quebec needed an expansion team while they got the ready-made one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Coyotes ownership claims tonight's game against the Blackhawks was the first time the team filled all 87 suites at the Jobberdome. They've been playing there since December, 2003. It took them almost 10 years in Glendale to actually sell out a game.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Unless there are 7,500 fans hiding in the bottom right corner out of camera view, all I have to say is, "10,074 my ass!"

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

When it comes to Florida, remember:

1) The center ice sections on the main level are always sold out, no matter what you see; and

2) Ownership doesn't have to care about hockey attendance because of the lease deal. 50 people a night show up and they'd still be worse off by moving.

Sounds like Markham's city council voted down the arena proposal. See, that's the way to do it. Encouraging news.

They only voted down using public funds... If the guy can get the private funding, the it will go... If he can't then it will be tanked.

Personally I'm okay if it doesn't go ahead right now. I'd prefer seeing a team in Quebec City before a second team in Toronto right now.

Yeah, if. This guy sounds like another BS artist and the whole arena project sounds like a terrible idea. Going toe-to-toe with the Maple Leafs is an unnecessary risk, and they wouldn't even be putting a team in the area that would make the most -- though still little -- sense: the Hamilton area that oddly fancies itself something other than the GTA. Dodged a bullet on this one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Part of me was looking forward to the incredible failure that would have been Clippers North playing in Glendale North, but it is nice to see that there are local governments out there not blinded by SPORTS!