NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

They'd never do it on a real lake, because then you'd have to worry about getting it cold enough. Plan an outdoor game on a pond, then it'll be a record warm winter in Minnesota and you'd have 2" thick ice. Maybe movie to Alaska; then you could pretty much be guaranteed the cold. Make it an exhibition so people don't bitch about the pond ice not being perfect or something like that. Actually, I hear there are some pretty good local club teams up there... made up entirely of players from the town... maybe one of them could play an NHL team?

That would be awesome. Find a lake in rural Minnesota (no great feat) and set up some temporary bleachers. Unforgettable scene.

Set up bleachers on the riverbank, play hockey on the Red in Winnipeg in February. Boom. Done.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

What in the Holy Name in Jesus H. Christ, Santa Claus, God, Buddah and Moses is Gary Bettman's opsession with Glendale?

Sun Belt hockey is his legacy, his singular contribution to the sport (sure isn't labor peace). Doubt he'll ever admit that it was anything less than a spectacular success everywhere.

• Like 1

Except Atlanta, because screw that place, apparently.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That would be awesome. Find a lake in rural Minnesota (no great feat) and set up some temporary bleachers. Unforgettable scene.

Set up bleachers on the riverbank, play hockey on the Red in Winnipeg in February. Boom. Done.

What, on an ice surface 10 feet wide?

Except Atlanta, because screw that place, apparently.

Nobody can work miracles.

It's also worth noting that Atlanta's move helped take pressure off the Coyotes by eliminating the one immediately compelling relocation site. So Bettman got to keep his pet project while blaming The Failure of the Thrashers on "because Atlanta".

What I don't get is that pro sports team owners aren't dummies. You don't get to the point where you're in position to own a pro team if you're an idiot (or just got a large inheritance.)

How do these guys not see how poorly the league is being run, and what a laughing stock it's become? I realize that they're businessmen, and technically some of these decisions have been "good for business" even if they've been bad for the league, I would have to think that enough of them are also fan enough to want to make the league better, even if it cuts in to profit margins a little bit.

What's Bettman's contract situation? At what point do they have to either renew it or wish him well in his future endeavors?

I think that the CBA is killing the league, even if it's helped the poor teams. Player salaries are forcing the teams to make decisions solely based on finances, rather than the greater good. They have to maximze revenue to continue to overpay these guys. NHL players want to get paid the same as athletes in other pro sports, but they have to realize that they're not in MLB, NFL, or NBA. $7M / year shouldn't be looked at as the going rate for "good athlete". It's the going rate for "good MLB player", etc. It doesn't matter if they train harder, play a harder sport, play more games, win more titles, etc - the league simply can't continue if these guys are getting these contracts.

That being said, go back to the old system, and stupid teams like the Flyers will continue to give out these deals just for reasons. Maybe the only way to proceed is to just start cutting losses, moving teams, forgoing expansion fees, etc., and if it drives revenue down, then that would be reflected in the salary cap and might reduce salaries that way. I don't know. I'm tired and need to take a dump and then a nap.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The CBA took 7% off the players' share, and there are few if any NHLers making eight figures a year. You know what's scary? The going rate for middle relievers. NHL players make money as a function of revenue. There are enormous systemic problems with the NHL; player salaries aren't one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Pretty sure Seattle and Vegas have been the frontrunners in this thread for months. Because Bettman. And those pesky divisions. And the NHL's new acceptance of smaller arenas with bad sightlines.

Key? Thomas and Mack? The Orleans? Sure. It's only "temporary."

AEG, MGM Resorts and a private investor are to break ground for an on Strip arena in April or May with a construction timeline of 22 months.

In the 2012-13 ECHL regular season, the Wranglers filled up about 59% of the arena, if you want a statistical outlook on things.

Yeah, but that number would probably go up for an NHL game. Very few people [sorry] really care about the ECHL. 59% in the south is a really good number.