NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

There's a video of the press conference, but I'll volunteer to have my eyelids surgically removed before I sit through a bunch of Panthers crap just to verify a stupid Gary Bettman quip.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Their policy, as best I can suss it out, is that you're not allowed to hurt a fanbase's collective feelings, but because people in, say, Hamilton and Quebec don't have teams, they can't constitute fanbases, per se, and so they don't have collective feelings to hurt and subsequently manage. It was open season on Winnipeg fans before they had their team, and the mods didn't let them retaliate. So by saying "this commercial sucks" or "there are major rhetorical flaws and errors which I would like to point out," you are flaming an entire fanbase, I guess.

See, here's what I'm talking about, in response to someone wanting to discuss people circumventing the new parking fees. Note that the mod doing the reminding is a Coyotes fan.

aX0u4iz.jpg

Apparently it's "goading" an entire fan base. Those poor little souls.

• 3 weeks later...

http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/report-barclays-center-to-pay-isles-millions-per-year-to-relocate-to-brooklyn/#more-43369

The Barclays Center’s owners have guaranteed the Islanders an unspecified annual payment to move them there, according to a report from Standard & Poor’s, which issued ratings on the arena bonds and highlighted the deal as a risk factor.

People familiar with the deal said it runs in the tens of millions of dollars a year.

Oh, it's a Cizikas Management Fee.

Kind of the buried lede here is that the Barclays Center is falling well short of revenue predictions. I guess the good trust fund babies and additionally the people of Brooklyn didn't take to Jay-Z-themed popcorn and artisan urinals like we had hoped!

Did the Barclays ever have a chance to succeed? The people of Brooklyn must have been angry when that thing was built.

http://battleforbrooklyn.com/

I think I stumbled across that doc once on TV.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Many of us opposed the use of eminent domain, but not necessarily the arena itself. Frankly, I think the design is sublime.

I'll have to read that Journal piece, but it sounds like an expenditure problem, as published revenues have been amazing - the Barclays Center was the nation's top-grossing concert venue in the first six months of 2013.

Kings are doing well but weren't part of the expansion. Sharks are doing well. The Ducks aren't a failure but aren't exactly a success. They just are. But even the most ardent northernist, if we're going to call them that, would concede that Los Angeles and the S.F. Bay Area are indispensable to a league footprint. Those have never been the issue. The issue has been medium-to-small markets with unsustainable population growth and shaky support for professional sports. This league has no business whatsoever puttering around in small southern towns like Raleigh and Nashville, and needed to put more planning into Phoenix and Miami if they were going to make warm-weather transplant suburbias work (and even then...).

• Like 1

Much of the league's Minnesota era expansion can be boiled down to "which town is dumb enough to build us an arena first." Hence Columbus over Cleveland, Nashville over any other possible market, etc

Welcome to DrunjFlix