NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Derek Stepan's new contract pays him $5 million in 2020-21. $3 million of it is structured as a signing bonus, designed as insurance against an expected lockout that season. Five years away, and everyone already knows.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Derek Stepan's new contract pays him $5 million in 2020-21. $3 million of it is structured as a signing bonus, designed as insurance against an expected lockout that season. Five years away, and everyone already knows.

Jesus they're already planning for a lockout in 2020?

It's been determined to be a successful business model. Shut down for half a season, or even a full one, the players eventually agree to concessions (pro tip: add in a few demands you never expected to get to gjve the false appearance of compromise), and no matter how wise the fans and press get to your scheme (don't worry, most will still blame the players anyway!), you can expect record attendance and revenue on the other side.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's been determined to be a successful business model. Shut down for half a season, or even a full one, the players eventually agree to concessions (pro tip: add in a few demands you never expected to get to gjve the false appearance of compromise), and no matter how wise the fans and press get to your scheme (don't worry, most will still blame the players anyway!), you can expect record attendance and revenue on the other side.

Who'd have guessed 20 years ago that MLB would end up being the sane league when it came to labor relations.

I have a sinking feeling that Vegas, and only Vegas, will be getting an expansion team this time around, for a 31-team NHL. Team #32 will be tabled until either (1) the Seattle group(s) get their :censored: together (assuming one of them doesn't end up with the Coyotes instead) or (2) another western U.S. market emerges, such as Houston or KC, and one of them will get the other expansion team.

Quebec City feels a lot like it'll end up like Winnipeg, all dressed up with nowhere to go for years before another of Bettman's Sun Belt babies finally gives up the ghost (or maybe even a non-Sun Belt baby like Columbus).

CCSLC signature.png

When asked if Quebec might have to start out in the Western Conference (because OINTDGNHL, this a legitimate question to ask), Bettman said:

"The answer is that's something we would obviously have to consider. The experience with Winnipeg in the Southeast was less than ideal. The experience over time with Detroit and Columbus in the West - and they're farther west geographically - they couldn't wait to get into the East. So geography is an issue. But the fact that we identify it as an issue doesn't mean we've reached a conclusion. It means it’s one of the things that has to be considered."

He also slid in:

"The board, I assume, will only vote to expand if they're completely comfortable that it's the right thing to do, taking into account all of the factors," Bettman said. "This is going to be a deliberate and orderly process because it's an important decision to be made one way or the other."

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I'm going to assume alignment is up to a league-wide vote, so, um, welcome back to the Western Conference Blue Jackets.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

When asked if Quebec might have to start out in the Western Conference (because OINTDGNHL, this a legitimate question to ask)

In fairness, we had nearly a decade of an NFC West with San Francisco, St. Louis, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Carolina, plus a quarter-century of Cincinnati and Atlanta being NL West teams, despite there being 5 teams west of Cincinnati when this alignment was set.

Sports aren't always spot-on with the geography.

Also, let's all laugh at the Canadians extolling the virtues of a 32-team NHL completely rejiggered to feature an 8-team Canadian division, because finally, hockey's homeland could have a chance to make the Conference Final on a regular basis.

Separating Quebec City (which would be the easternmost city in the league) from Montreal and Boston because we can't hurt the Red Wings' delicate feelings is beyond geographic quirks and just flat-out dumb.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Winnipeg was in the Southeast for two seasons. No one's saying Quebec would permanently be in the Ouest. More importantly, no one's saying Quebec is getting a franchise.

The Wings fans who believe Atlantic Detroit must be preserved at all costs make it sound as if it would be permanent. Of course, what do they know.

You seem rather anti-Quebec as of late.

I just don't think they "deserve" an NHL team like they feel they do. Neither did Winnipeg, and they're still a more feasible outpost than QC in 2015. I'm sure they will do financially fine if awarded, but putting the NHL back in Quebec isn't righting some long-standing hockey injustice. And given how the current state of affairs came about, I'm all for the NHL jacking up the admission fee for them as possible. Oh, you don't think charging US$800M when your dollar is worth only 75¢ is fair when we let Vegas in for only $500M? Well, maybe you shouldn't have chased out the English and built a taxpayer-funded arena on spec.

Plus, as much as Winnipeg fans have tried to make Jets 2.0 The Cardinal Way of hockey (minus the banners), I get the impression Nordiques Nation would actually be worse.

I think Winnipeg's success, financially speaking, is exactly why they "deserved" a team, and why Québec City "deserves" a team now. Call Winnipeg an "outpost" all you want. They've been so successful at the box office that they don't even qualify for revenue sharing. Makes the move from Atlanta all the more justified.

Winnipeg proved that a strong fanbase makes a smallish Canadian market a more desirable destination than a Sunbelt metropolis. In terms of the league's economics? There are more then enough fans in Québec City willing to spend money to support NHL hockey. Not having a team there is leaving money on the table. So yeah. By that standard? They certainly do deserve a team.

Lets put a NHL team in Truth or consequences, New Mexico :P

no Intercourse, Pennsylvania sounds better.

For Satan's Kingdom, Massachusetts we can move the Devils there.

What about Hell, Michigan?

Lets put a NHL team in Truth or consequences, New Mexico :P

no Intercourse, Pennsylvania sounds better.

For Satan's Kingdom, Massachusetts we can move the Devils there.

What about Hell, Michigan?

I'd suggest French Lick, Indiana, but we all know the NHL hates anything French.

Well, maybe you shouldn't have chased out the English and built a taxpayer-funded arena on spec.

Let's be fair: these are two very separate issues! There were never that many English to chase out of Quebec City in the first place. I think there are still some in the Eastern Townships, though. And yeah, it sucks that Quebecor didn't just build the spaceship themselves, but the Colisee was a public building and it was a piece of crap that no one wanted to use for anything. It's 66 years old and consists of a series of haphazard renovations (but possibly still no air conditioning). The spaceship somehow came in under budget, and now the city can run a full schedule of hockey and concerts and whatever else they were missing out on before. All things considered, the whole deal could have gone a hell of a lot worse for the city and province.

From my shoddy napkin math, Quebec City will actually be more valuable to the league than Winnipeg. Their arena is bigger and features more filthy-rich luxury suites, there are more people within a 50-mile radius of downtown QC than in Winnipeg, and presuming a broadcast region coterminous with Montreal's, Quebec's regional telecasts will reach more eyeballs than Winnipeg's: raw population of about 10.5 million people in the former, about 3.3 in the latter, which includes Nunavut, for Christ's sake. On top of that, I would expect TVA to program as many national games for the Nordiques as they can, much like the Canadiens did with RDS.

I don't care that Nordiques fans would have crappy sanctimonious attitudes. All hockey fans have crappy sanctimonious attitudes; it's what we do. Perds fans have crappy sanctimonious attitudes and all they've ever done is draft some defensemen and learn to chant "power play!" together.

Speaking of RSNs, that's an issue that no one seems to be addressing with Las Vegas. It'd probably end up being a subchannel of Fox Sports West, and would only cover Las Vegas, Reno, and the secret government FEMA camps. I don't think it would be a very hot property. God, even Hartford would thump Las Vegas in the RSN business (CSN-NE, presumably, delivering all of New England minus Fairfield).

And given how the current state of affairs came about, I'm all for the NHL jacking up the admission fee for them as possible. Oh, you don't think charging US$800M when your dollar is worth only 75¢ is fair when we let Vegas in for only $500M?

I don't think you get how currency conversion works.

In fairness, we had nearly a decade of an NFC West with San Francisco, St. Louis, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Carolina, plus a quarter-century of Cincinnati and Atlanta being NL West teams, despite there being 5 teams west of Cincinnati when this alignment was set.

Sports aren't always spot-on with the geography.

NFL divisions don't really matter geographically. They have a week to get to the game, adjust, play the game, and get back.