NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

"It’s easy to understand the tepid interest. After six consecutive playoff DNQs, the Canes are a diminishing asset on the local sports scene. The team ranked 29th in attendance in the NHL last season with an average of just 12,594, down nearly 3,000 from 2013-14 and ahead only of Florida. "

Naturally, my interest was piqued that not only was Arizona not last in attendance last year, there weren't even second last!

This led me to look up the attendance for the whole league. These are the only teams below 16,000 per game:

Columbus 15,511

Islanders 15,334

New Jersey 15,189

Winnipeg 15,037

Arizona 13,345

Carolina 12,594

Florida 11,265

Only three franchises with serious attendance issues... actually not too shabby! Time to add another.

It'd be the almost-perfect scenario for the NHL...move Carolina to Quebec City, expand to Las Vegas and Seattle (to balance out the conferences), and the Coyotes stay where they are. So, naturally, it'll never happen. Except for the Coyotes staying put.

Unless they get wise to the fact that they can expand by two and get three expansion fees (one via a relocation fee) in the process. Money they don't have to share with the NHLPA. So maybe it will happen.

It'd be the almost-perfect scenario for the NHL...move Carolina to Quebec City, expand to Las Vegas and Seattle (to balance out the conferences), and the Coyotes stay where they are. So, naturally, it'll never happen. Except for the Coyotes staying put.

Unless they get wise to the fact that they can expand by two and get three expansion fees (one via a relocation fee) in the process. Money they don't have to share with the NHLPA. So maybe it will happen.

Still doesn't deal with the issues between Broward County and the Panthers as the team still wants $5.5M in county tourist tax revenue.

BITCHES DON'T KNOW BOUT MY ESOTERIC BACCHANALIA

Starr and Elkin also had been working for months with Danialle Karmanos on plans for two other celebrations to honor Peter — a formal gala June 8 at Detroit City Airport and an employee event outside the downtown headquarters, possibly at Campus Martius.

Initial plans called for Compuware to pay for events. Paul had approved a combined budget of $1.5 million a few months earlier, after more expensive ideas, such as hiring pop stars Sheryl Crow or Kid Rock to perform, were discarded.

As time went on, Paul — aware of potential criticism — proposed spreading the $1.5 million in expenses over two fiscal quarters.

Only a handful of people inside Compuware knew about the cost of the parties or that Paul had approved the budget — at a time when activist investors were pressuring the firm to cut costs and share more cash with shareholders.

That included most board members. That is, until they received their invitations in the mail for the VIP event.

Board members Henderson and G. Scott Romney, (brother of Mitt Romney), would later say that Paul erred in authorizing company funding for a gala at City Airport.

The invites arrived in foot-long black envelopes with white cursive lettering, announcing "the pleasure of your company is requested at an Esoteric Bacchanalia for Peter Karmanos, Jr." The attire: "Gown & Gloves; White Jacket Tuxedo"

​Alarm bells went off for Henderson and others: "My wife received the invitation and when she opened it, she said, "You're never going to believe this,' " Henderson later recalled.

Henderson conferred with Compuware board chairman Bedi and another director. Bedi phoned Paul that morning in the Bahamas and said the company couldn't be financing such extravagance when employees were being laid off.

Henderson, who headed GM during the automaker's Chapter 11 bankruptcy and U.S. government control in 2009, immediately saw a potential problem in funding a pricey-looking party when Compuware was a takeover target, laying off workers, and drawing criticism from activist investors for spending too much money.

"I felt like it sent exactly the wrong message," he said. "You almost couldn't do anything worse if you're in an activist campaign but to have an event like this which would undoubtedly be covered publicly."

Board member Grabe, a former IBM executive, also was jarred by the party invitation, which he recalled was the size of a license plate.

"My reaction was, geez, it's over the top," Grabe said.

In fairness, I've never known an esoteric bacchanalia to be low-key.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

"It’s easy to understand the tepid interest. After six consecutive playoff DNQs, the Canes are a diminishing asset on the local sports scene. The team ranked 29th in attendance in the NHL last season with an average of just 12,594, down nearly 3,000 from 2013-14 and ahead only of Florida. "

Naturally, my interest was piqued that not only was Arizona not last in attendance last year, there weren't even second last!

This led me to look up the attendance for the whole league. These are the only teams below 16,000 per game:

Columbus 15,511

Islanders 15,334

New Jersey 15,189

Winnipeg 15,037

Arizona 13,345

Carolina 12,594

Florida 11,265

Only three franchises with serious attendance issues... actually not too shabby! Time to add another.

This made me curious, so I did some mathematical jiggery-pokery to help normalize small total attendance against smaller buildings. In a nutshell, if you draw 15k a night at 100% capacity, that counts against you less than drawing 15.5 at 85.5%. Obviously, there are some problems with this, but here's a table I'm getting all hoity-toity about and calling the NHL Relocatometer:

nhl.png . nhl2.png

Hm, as much as I'd like to go under-70 for the cut-off, the Jackets would be under the bar and I think they're fine. So idk.

I have a question to ask, do you guys feel like we're a little harsh on the fanbases like say the Coyotes? Just curious, not trying to be mean.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Hm, as much as I'd like to go under-70 for the cut-off, the Jackets would be under the bar and I think they're fine. So idk.

I have a question to ask, do you guys feel like we're a little harsh on the fanbases like say the Coyotes? Just curious, not trying to be mean.

I don't think anyone here is really attacking the fanbase when they want the Coyotes to be moved, but maybe I'm wrong. I think it's a mix of frustration with the stubbornness the NHL has shown in trying to make the team work, despite it very clearly not working, and the idea that it's kind of likely that their continued existence has literally killed people through what Glendale has had to cut to keep them.

And I don't mean figuratively when I say literally. I mean literally.

I don't think anyone here is really attacking the fanbase when they want the Coyotes to be moved, but maybe I'm wrong. I think it's a mix of frustration with the stubbornness the NHL has shown in trying to make the team work, despite it very clearly not working, and the idea that it's kind of likely that their continued existence has literally killed people through what Glendale has had to cut to keep them.

And I don't mean figuratively when I say literally. I mean literally.

Ah, okay. That makes sense. Relocation would still would suck for the fans, even if they are few.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

It's also that the most vocal Coyotes fans have nearly always been out-of-town stereotypical teabaggers who don't want the gubmint overseeing or regulating any facet of their existence, but also demand that said gubmint barf up welfare to keep their hockey team afloat.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I saw zpqw... er, Aaron, post this one on Twitter: Slava Voynov's been training at the Kings' facilitues during his jail term, and the Kings claim it's totally okay because it's a work release program. Send his ass to Russia on a rocket, and strap Dean Lombardi in along for the ride.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/kings/la-sp-0904-kings-voynov-20150904-story.html

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I saw zpqw... er, Aaron, post this one on Twitter: Slava Voynov's been training at the Kings' facilitues during his jail term, and the Kings claim it's totally okay because it's a work release program. Send his ass to Russia on a rocket, and strap Dean Lombardi in along for the ride.

Following the Wolves this year looks more and more appealing every day.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

The Kings are making the offseason crap up to the fans in a big way. The giveaway for November 14? Cartman bobbleheads!

(My tickets have already been purchased)

EDIT: Besides, Slava's ICE's problem now.

DOUBLE EDIT: Slava, an ice hockey player, is in ICE custody. The headlines write themselves!

VmWIn6B.png

The Kings are making the offseason crap up to the fans in a big way. The giveaway for November 14? Cartman bobbleheads!

Oh but it could have been so much better!

That was rescheduled to October 18, because, uh, well...

C9Rw4fP.png

Oy vey.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Oh hey Patrick Kane's reporting to training camp Friday and is on the roster yeah everything's perfectly fine also we will be taking no questions from the media this season.

The league office set the precedent by suspending Voynov. It's on them to suspend Kane, not the Blackhawks, who of course will err on the side of a superstar player like any team would. The league should have. I don't know why they didn't.

Maybe it's that charges haven't been filed yet. I don't know, everything from every angle on this is such a goddamned mess.

I'm sure once that happens, he's gone.

I understand why the Blackhawks haven't acted. McDonough doesn't strike me as an impulsive nor a lazy guy. I think they've taken the temperature on this and realized that the white knights of rape culture are just as much a disproportionately loud fringe as the #isupport88 morons, and that most fans/consumers are just in an uneasy state of caution about the whole thing: ready to condemn him if it looks like they should, but still holding out hope that he didn't do something awful (he probably did). It may sound cynical and gross, but I think that if there were enough women who are fans of the Blackhawks demanding that the team make Kane disappear, then they would make Kane disappear, but there just doesn't seem to be as much outrage there as there would need to be. Dan "Boobs" Bernstein isn't gonna get that done himself.