NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

6 minutes ago, IceCap said:

How about this- the Yeti is a mythological creature from the Himalayas.

And yes it was dumb when the Avs used it too. Thankfully they've fixed the situation. 

Anyway Utah doesn't even have a NHL caliber arena.  

Don’t kill the dream of Honky the Honda’s cousin Mormon the Mazda.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

VmWIn6B.png

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

How about this- the Yeti is a mythological creature from the Himalayas.

And yes it was dumb when the Avs used it too. Thankfully they've fixed the situation. 

Anyway Utah doesn't even have a NHL caliber arena.  

They have an interim solution being the Delta Center which will suffice in the short term. Ryan Smith will either expand/remodel the DC - or build a brand new building to house both the NBA/NHL. Within the next 5-6 years SLC will have the NHL and MLB to go along with the NBA and the Jazz. Smith also needs the NHL to create his own sports network featuring the Jazz and the Yeti.

• LOL 2

2 hours ago, H20 said:

They have an interim solution being the Delta Center which will suffice in the short term. Ryan Smith will either expand/remodel the DC - or build a brand new building to house both the NBA/NHL. Within the next 5-6 years SLC will have the NHL and MLB to go along with the NBA and the Jazz. Smith also needs the NHL to create his own sports network featuring the Jazz and the Yeti.

So you think Salt Lake City is a better option than Quebec City? Because Quebec City seems like the most logical choice for relocation over any other city (Houston, Kansas City among others) but for whatever reason, the NHL has not been interested in going back there.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So you think Salt Lake City is a better option than Quebec City? Because Quebec City seems like the most logical choice for relocation over any other city (Houston, Kansas City among others) but for whatever reason, the NHL has not been interested in going back there.  

QC has an NHL calibre arena, and enough fan support to draw crowds. However, they don’t have much of a corporate base, and would hurt the value of the league’s TV contract. The premier has said he wants a team back, but it isn’t clear who would own them or who would pay the relocation fee. 

2 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

QC has an NHL calibre arena, and enough fan support to draw crowds. However, they don’t have much of a corporate base, and would hurt the value of the league’s TV contract. The premier has said he wants a team back, but it isn’t clear who would own them or who would pay the relocation fee. 

When he bought the CFL's Montreal Alouettes, many people speculated that Pierre Karl Peladeau would eventually push for an NHL team in Quebec City.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, H20 said:

You keep say “will” like it’s all guaranteed when that’s far from the truth. 

• Love 1

18 hours ago, H20 said:

They won't touch the Delta Center for a longterm remodel. There are plans for a possible arena at the Power District where they're eyeing to put a MLB ballpark. 

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I won't lie, based off that video I wonder if the Coyotes were sold and moved out of town (to wherever) and Phoenix given an expansion team (no Browns deal, new name and everything) I wonder if hockey could work in Arizona? It seems like it could. But, they'd need a clean slate.

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

20 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Apple, Google, Microsoft could build headquarters and the Saudis could claim Quebec City as their new capital, and the NHL still wouldn't give it a second thought. 

sig.png

20 minutes ago, kimball said:

I won't lie, based off that video I wonder if the Coyotes were sold and moved out of town (to wherever) and Phoenix given an expansion team (no Browns deal, new name and everything) I wonder if hockey could work in Arizona? It seems like it could. But, they'd need a clean slate.

It's not just a new franchise that needs a clean slate, it's also whoever gets a relocated Coyotes. On moving, the team needs a rebrand as not only is the Coyotes idenity tied to Arizona (at least the orginal Kachina is), the Coyotes name is tainted beyond repair. When the team moves and wherever it ends up, the Desert Dog needs to be given the Old Yeller treatment and a new identity created.

New name, new uniforms, new identity.  After how good the identities for the Golden Knights and the Kraken turned out, I'm sure the NHL can nail it for a third time.

1 hour ago, kimball said:

Oh Jesus... 

THIRTY 

YEARS

NO 

PROFITS 

• Like 3
  • Applause 4

1 hour ago, VampyrRabbit said:

It's not just a new franchise that needs a clean slate, it's also whoever gets a relocated Coyotes. On moving, the team needs a rebrand as not only is the Coyotes idenity tied to Arizona (at least the orginal Kachina is), the Coyotes name is tainted beyond repair. When the team moves and wherever it ends up, the Desert Dog needs to be given the Old Yeller treatment and a new identity created.

New name, new uniforms, new identity.  After how good the identities for the Golden Knights and the Kraken turned out, I'm sure the NHL can nail it for a third time.

Exactly. They need to be the Houston Aeros, Utah Yeti, Kansas City Comets, etc., etc., etc. The Arizona Coyotes identity needs to die.

45 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Oh Jesus... 

THIRTY 

YEARS

NO 

PROFITS 

I don't know if I would put them on the top of the expansion list if the Coyotes leave, but I think it could work with great leadership and the right situation for a home arena. That video really paints the lack of leadership as the root of the problem.

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

3 hours ago, kimball said:

Exactly. They need to be the Houston Aeros, Utah Yeti, Kansas City Comets, etc., etc., etc. The Arizona Coyotes identity needs to die.

I don't know if I would put them on the top of the expansion list if the Coyotes leave, but I think it could work with great leadership and the right situation for a home arena. That video really paints the lack of leadership as the root of the problem.

How many ownership groups do the coyotes need to have for you to say maybe Arizona just isn’t a hockey market. How many bad owners have we seen in other sports still make a profit at some point anyways? They haven’t had a single profitable season in 30 years

• Like 2

I feel awful for Coyotes fans. Losing your team absolutley sucks and top level Hockey probably isn't coming back to the Sun Valley.

But on the other hand, this needs to end ASAP. The Coyotes right now are the living dead of North American Big 4 sports, stumbling and groaning their way through the desert while feasting on bad contracts, the one useful function the team serves.

Cutting the head off and filling the mouth with wafers is long, long overdue.

• Like 1

The thing about Tree's video that sticks out the most is the amount of turnover, everytime a new owner agrees to acquire the team. They all get fed up after several years, get rid of their losses, and the game of musical chairs continues with someone new.

11 hours ago, IceCap said:

Oh Jesus... 

THIRTY 

YEARS

NO 

PROFITS 

I don't know many businessmen who like to not make any profits from the businesses that they own.

But apparently, the plan is to fill that position anyway, if when the currents owner resigns just like everybody else did.

12 hours ago, kimball said:

Giving The Sun Valley an expansion franchise straight after putting the Coyotes out of their misery would be absolutely asinine. That market is going to need time to recover from the damage done to it, if it ever recovers at all. And NHL aren't that dumb to give the area a new franchise that soon afterwards.

The San Jose Sharks were founded 15 years after the absolutely rotten Golden Seals left for halfway between Akron and Cleveland. After the Flames headed to Calgary, Atlanta got the Thrashers 19 years later.  Colorado got a relocated Nordiques 13 years after the Rockies left for Jersey. Even for Hockey mad Minnesota, 7 years passed between the North Stars going south and the arrival of the Wild.

You need to give markets time to recover.

• Like 1