NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

49 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

You guys think there's any fire regarding the Connecticut Governor re: Yotes to Hartford?

I feel that most of the fans that the Whalers abandoned have either hopped on with the Bruins, Rangers, Isles, or followed the Whalers down to Carolina. 

It was discussed a few weeks ago in here I believe, but Hartford would need a new arena before they could be seriously considered. Nothing has really changed on that front since the team left for Raleigh 25 years ago. The market also isn't doing itself any favors, as the city of Hartford itself is the fourth most populated in Connecticut and continues to shrink. That doesn't necessarily mean the metro area of about 1.2 million couldn't support an NHL team, but it might make more sense to give a midwest market like Kansas City a chance, or Quebec City if you want to go the small-but-proven hockey market route. 

• Like 3

T1oYViW.png

8 minutes ago, Glover said:

It was discussed a few weeks ago in here I believe, but Hartford would need a new arena before they could be seriously considered. Nothing has really changed on that front since the team left for Raleigh 25 years ago. The market also isn't doing itself any favors, as the city of Hartford itself is the fourth most populated in Connecticut and continues to shrink. That doesn't necessarily mean the metro area of about 1.2 million couldn't support an NHL team, but it might make more sense to give a midwest market like Kansas City a chance, or Quebec City if you want to go the small-but-proven hockey market route. 

Totally agree, they just seem very keen on giving it a shot. 

sig.png

4 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

You guys think there's any fire regarding the Connecticut Governor re: Yotes to Hartford?

I feel that most of the fans that the Whalers abandoned have either hopped on with the Bruins, Rangers, Isles, or followed the Whalers down to Carolina. 

In the shortest post, I've ever written on these here boards.

No.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

They are likely moving to SLC - and the wheels to put all of this in motion may actually happen with an announcement before July 1.

They won't be the Golden Eagles, The Eagles, The Stingers, The Gulls, or anything like that.

Ryan Smith - who will own the franchise - loves what the Kraken have done in Seattle, the moniker, the merchandising, logo, etc.

Think along the lines of the "UTAH YETI"

Edited by LMU
Not the place for requesting design work.
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

San Diego has a new NHL capable arena coming, and Stan Kroneke is the primary money man behind it. 

I always thought the NHL could work in San Diego. It's a 3 million metro and they always seem to support their minor teams fairly well.  Also, with no fall/winter sports anymore, sports fans may love another ticket in town.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

sig.png

9 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I always thought the NHL could work in San Diego. It's a 3 million metro and they always seem to support their minor teams fairly well.  Also, with no fall/winter sports anymore, sports fans may love another ticket in town.

The Samuelis would have to be cut a nice check though as the Ducks have essentially assumed it being part of their territorial rights.

VmWIn6B.png

2 hours ago, H20 said:

They are likely moving to SLC - and the wheels to put all of this in motion may actually happen with an announcement before July 1.

They won't be the Golden Eagles, The Eagles, The Stingers, The Gulls, or anything like that.

Ryan Smith - who will own the franchise - loves what the Kraken have done in Seattle, the moniker, the merchandising, logo, etc.

The avalanche will probably have a problem with that, even with them no longer using the yeti foot logo or mascot it’s still a part of their recent history.

13 minutes ago, dont care said:

The avalanche will probably have a problem with that, even with them no longer using the yeti foot logo or mascot it’s still a part of their recent history.

Nope, the Avs have no such recourse, it is not a part of their name in any way and it would not preclude Utah from choosing such a moniker. Uh, so where is the right place to request logo work from anyone looking to make a few dollars?

• LOL 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, H20 said:

WASATCH SQUATCH or nothing ...

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

28 minutes ago, H20 said:

Uh, so where is the right place to request logo work from anyone looking to make a few dollars?

From the FAQ that should have popped up when you signed up:

• Members must have 100 posts in order to view the Requests forum and request design work. 
  • Requests must be made in the Requests forum. Requests made in other forums will be moved to the Requests forum. If the member making the request has fewer than 100 posts, it will still be moved to the Requests forum and the moderator who does so will add a note asking anyone willing to help to contact the original poster via PM.

This is to cut down on people signing up for the sole purpose of requesting work. If anyone wants to take you up on your offer, they can PM you directly.

• Applause 1

6 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Totally agree, they just seem very keen on giving it a shot. 

That's just Ned Lamont doing his thing. In his defense, it's his job as Connecticut governor to sell the state and do its PR. Tough job when it's Connecticut you're talking about.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

7 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

From the FAQ that should have popped up when you signed up:

This is to cut down on people signing up for the sole purpose of requesting work. If anyone wants to take you up on your offer, they can PM you directly.

Thank you for the clarification. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, H20 said:

I’d love to see an NHL team come to Salt Lake, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

That said, the thought of Utah Yeti (Colorado’s old secondary logo notwithstanding) has crossed my mind and isn’t a bad idea.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

I’d love to see an NHL team come to Salt Lake, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

That said, the thought of Utah Yeti (Colorado’s old secondary logo notwithstanding) has crossed my mind and isn’t a bad idea.

JAZZ - YETI - it works

• LOL 1

Gary Bettman will probably want the Coyotes to talk to Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Scottsdale, Peoria and the local Native American reservations first.  If all say no, then and only then will Gary Bettman give up on the NHL in Arizona.....unless he builds his own Phoenix suburb called "Bettman Town" and tells the Coyotes to move there and he forces them to sign a 100-year lease to play at the new "Gary Bettman Arena" in Bettman Town, Arizona.  

• LOL 1

4 hours ago, H20 said:

Nope, the Avs have no such recourse, it is not a part of their name in any way and it would not preclude Utah from choosing such a moniker. 

How about this- the Yeti is a mythological creature from the Himalayas.

And yes it was dumb when the Avs used it too. Thankfully they've fixed the situation. 

Anyway Utah doesn't even have a NHL caliber arena.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Gary Bettman will probably want the Coyotes to talk to Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Scottsdale, Peoria and the local Native American reservations first.  If all say no, then and only then will Gary Bettman give up on the NHL in Arizona.....unless he builds his own Phoenix suburb called "Bettman Town" and tells the Coyotes to move there and he forces them to sign a 100-year lease to play at the new "Gary Bettman Arena" in Bettman Town, Arizona.  

bettmantown

• LOL 1