NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

50 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

If a move to Utah happens, do they keep the Coyotes identity? Utah is  still desert-y/sort of southwest. I hope so, I love it. 

I'm indifferent. But, the Kachina logo wouldn't really work. Personally, I would love the Gulls or Eagles.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 minutes ago, kimball said:

I'm indifferent. But, the Kachina logo wouldn't really work. Personally, I would love the Gulls or Eagles.

The Salt Lake Golden Eagles was the BEST identity Utah hockey ever had...unfortunately, Vegas would probably veto any team using that color adjective.

bYhYmxh.png

The Utah Quiverfulls, the mascots are a polygamous creep with 20 kids via 3 wives.

Also let's not forget the State Cooking Pot - The Dutch Oven.  There's some potential there.

• LOL 5
  • Yawn 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Let's get nuts. OITGDNHL.

Coyotes stay in Arizona. NHL expands to 36 with Houston, Quebec, Portland & San Diego. 

Probably belongs in the realignment thread but whatever:

Dallas & Houston go to the East.

Detroit & Columbus to the West, because it's the NHL & :censored:'em.

EASTERN CONFERENCE 

Atlantic 

New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers,

Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington 

Northeast 

Boston, Buffalo, Montreal,

Ottawa, Quebec, Toronto 

Southeast

Carolina, Dallas, Florida,

Houston, Nashville, Tampa Bay 

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central

Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, 

Minnesota, St. Louis, Winnipeg 

Northwest

Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton,

Portland, Seattle, Vancouver

Pacific

Anaheim, Arizona, Los Angeles,

San Diego, San Jose, Vegas

6 hours ago, Burmy said:

The Salt Lake Golden Eagles was the BEST identity Utah hockey ever had...unfortunately, Vegas would probably veto any team using that color adjective.

I agree, but I think Salt Lake Eagles or Utah Eagles work.

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

13 hours ago, kimball said:

I agree, but I think Salt Lake Eagles or Utah Eagles work.

I love the idea of just going with “Eagles” since Vegas has the “Golden” adjective locked down, but could that pose some legal issues with the Philadelphia NFL team? IIRC wasn’t that what kept the Washington Commanders from  using “Wolves” somewhere in their name (like Redwolves)?

Or would there be be a way around it, like trademarking the entire team name, like “Utah Eagles” instead of just “Eagles?”

As for another possible name, I think “Stingers” would work well with a bee-themed identity—if Cincinnati doesn’t mind someone else picking up the old WHA team name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DustDevil61 said:

I love the idea of just going with “Eagles” since Vegas has the “Golden” adjective locked down, but could that pose some legal issues with the Philadelphia NFL team? IIRC wasn’t that what kept the Washington Commanders from  using “Wolves” somewhere in their name (like Redwolves)?

Or would there be be a way around it, like trademarking the entire team name, like “Utah Eagles” instead of just “Eagles?”

As for another possible name, I think “Stingers” would work well with a bee-themed identity—if Cincinnati doesn’t mind someone else picking up the old WHA team name.

Maybe only among us here. Have you any outside evidence of that?

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

I think they were blocked or were given issues by Arkansas State, who use Red Wolves. 

Salt Lake Stingers actually has a nice ring to it. 

• Like 2

sig.png

22 hours ago, CS85 said:

The Utah Quiverfulls, the mascots are a polygamous creep with 20 kids via 3 wives.

Also let's not forget the State Cooking Pot - The Dutch Oven.  There's some potential there.

i like the sound of the Salt Lake Soakers tbh

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Dislike 1

33 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

i like the sound of the Salt Lake Soakers tbh

Oh god, that's gotta be it.

Their victory song can be "The Poophole Loophole."

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I think they were blocked or were given issues by Arkansas State, who use Red Wolves. 

Salt Lake Stingers actually has a nice ring to it. 

Again - let's have some sources. This isn't anything more than 'we talked about it on CCSLC, so it must be true'.

Salt Lake Stingers - former nickname of the AAA baseball team there.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

3 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Again - let's have some sources. This isn't anything more than 'we talked about it on CCSLC, so it must be true'.

Salt Lake Stingers - former nickname of the AAA baseball team there.

Jan 5, 2022, Bloomberg Law: Washington NFL Team Punts on RedWolves Citing Trademark Issues

It doesn't say anything specific about Arkansas State, but quotes an IP lawyer working with the team as saying trademark issues kept them from considering any Wolves name. 

"Once we began looking into Wolves, however, we became aware of a notable challenge: trademarks held by other teams would limit our ability to make the name our own. And without Wolves, variations like RedWolves wouldn’t have been viable either for these and other reasons[.]"

• Like 2

This team is in equal measure a perpetrator and victim of pointless dithering: the estate being difficult about the sale, the city government not wanting to build an arena on the world's saddest plot of land

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/10/2023 at 10:21 AM, the admiral said:

This team is in equal measure a perpetrator and victim of pointless dithering: the estate being difficult about the sale, the city government not wanting to build an arena on the world's saddest plot of land

The city of Ottawa actually has nothing to do with the arena. The land is owned by the federal government, so they’re the ones who’ve put up all the red tape over the years. 

From the beginning of the process it sounded like Andlauer was always the favourite, so that’s who I’m expecting ends up with the team. He’s already been on the NHL Board of Governors and is expected to be close to selling his share of the Habs. He’s the safe choice and has been going about his business quietly during this process, which the league always seems to appreciate. 

• Like 1

Michael Andlauer has been officially announced as the new  majority owner (90%) of the Ottawa Senators.

Word on the street is that he will bring Steve Staios in as his new GM. If this happens, the Sens will win the Cup within 5 years.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17