NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

46 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

Alright, we get it. Who are you moving to the West to make room for the Nordiques in the East? News flash: it's not going to be Detroit or Columbus.

I'll wait.

Just get rid of conferences and have 4 8-team divisions.  I know it was a pandemic precaution, but the Final 4 playing 1v4 and 2v3 really wasn't that bad.   

If you judge relocation based off of teams preference of what conference you're in, then you have a bigger problem.  I get the issue that Detroit and Columbus may have, but do you think it makes sense to have TB  and Florida in a division with the furthest north teams (BOS, MON, TOR, OTT, BUF, DET)?  Ideally Tampa Bay would be with Carolina, Nashville, Washington among others.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Expansion.

You do realize that would require adding more than just one more team to keep the divisions even, right? You'd need to add one team to the Metropolitan, two teams to the Central and one team to the Pacific.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

10 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

You do realize that would require adding more than just one more team to keep the divisions even, right? You'd need to add one team to the Metropolitan, two teams to the Central and one team to the Pacific.

Yes. Houston, Salt Lake City and Atlanta were being discussed. If the league really does expand, I think Quebec should get a team before Atlanta. Depending on what happens with Arizona, US western markets would have to balance out the conferences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin W. said:

Alright, we get it. Who are you moving to the West to make room for the Nordiques in the East? News flash: it's not going to be Detroit or Columbus.

I'll wait.

I touched on this a few pages back, but imagine being such a weak-willed league that you can't be bothered to incentivize anyone to switch conferences for the sake of a balanced alignment. I'd be embarrassed if that was the sport I ran; but then we know if Gary ever once felt embarrassment or shame, he would've left the position ages ago. 

Besides, it's not as if having dodgy divisions has ever stopped the NHL before; might I remind you that this is the same league that once had Vancouver in the East Division, the New York Americans in the Canadian Division*, Montreal & Los Angeles in the same division, and Winnipeg in the Southeast Division? (Yeah, I didn't forget the last time the league was forced to move a dead sunbelt team north & they just kept the divisions the same.)

* - extra stupid: in 26-27 the Detroit Cougars had to play their first season in Windsor while the Olympia was built, so that year you had a Canadian team in the American Division and an American team (named the Americans) in the Canadian Division. 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Just get rid of conferences and have 4 8-team divisions.  I know it was a pandemic precaution, but the Final 4 playing 1v4 and 2v3 really wasn't that bad.   

If you judge relocation based off of teams preference of what conference you're in, then you have a bigger problem.  I get the issue that Detroit and Columbus may have, but do you think it makes sense to have TB  and Florida in a division with the furthest north teams (BOS, MON, TOR, OTT, BUF, DET)?  Ideally Tampa Bay would be with Carolina, Nashville, Washington among others.

Some of the western teams have closer travel distance to Florida and Tampa than some of the eastern teams that the Panthers and Lightning share the Atlantic division with.

Chicago, St. Louis and Nashville are borderline eastern teams in the west.

Here's the view from a map...

2022-NHL-Base-Map.jpg?ssl=1

26 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Yes. Houston, Salt Lake City and Atlanta were being discussed. If the league really does expand, I think Quebec should get a team before Atlanta. Depending on what happens with Arizona, US western markets would have to balance out the conferences.

:censored: it then, just give all 4 markets an expansion team, each to a different division. SLC to the Pacific, Houston to the Central, Atlanta to the Metropolitan and Quebec to the Atlantic.

Uhhh...and why exactly are we discussing giving  Atlanta a team for the third time now???

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

24 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

:censored: it then, just give all 4 markets an expansion team, each to a different division. SLC to the Pacific, Houston to the Central, Atlanta to the Metropolitan and Quebec to the Atlantic.

Salt Lake City doesn’t have a suitable building yet.

3 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

I'll wait.

The conference alignment situation is just a cop out answer for why Quebec City doesn’t have a team. If it was a market the league thought was valuable, they would figure out a way to arrange the divisions. 

• Like 5

Has Pbil Knight expressed or hinted at any interest in owning a hockey club, or is that just speculation?

(I genuinely don't know, that's why I ask.)

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

11 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Has Pbil Knight expressed or hinted at any interest in owning a hockey club, or is that just speculation?

I don't know either, but given how so much of this is foundless speculation, does it matter?

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

The Coyotes spend about half the season in Pacific Time and play in a division with teams in Central Time. This alignment is short of divinely inspired.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, tBBP said:

Here's an interesting question: let's say that Knight does end up owning an NHL team. Would that affect Nike's ability to bid on the NHL contract once Fanatics' current contract ends?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)