NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

On 6/3/2023 at 12:17 PM, mcj882000 said:

I guess one important question is, has there been any indication that the Jazz are looking to build a new arena? Because I figure no new building will happen without their input, and though I hate repeating myself it really cannot be overstated how suboptimal the soon-to-be-again Delta Center is for NHL hockey.
Four words: "Barclays Center, but worse": 
vivint-arena-2.jpg
Like, if we're gonna move the Coyotes here full-time? Just put them back in downtown Phoenix at Talking Stick/Footprint/whatever it's called now instead, because that'd still be better than this; at least the Suns' arena has hockey-ready seating in a endzone!

There are plans for an arena where they're planning on building a baseball stadium west of Downtown SLC. Depending on when a team moves in (ie-Coyotes or expansion) I assume they'd play a year or two at the Delta Center, something that's doable short term. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

An unintended side effect of the Coyotes playing at ASU is that the bar for an acceptable arena is the floor: I mean, yeah, Delta Center won't work, but look where they are now! Any arena can work. Except this one

Plus de 500 000 visiteurs au Centre Vidéotron en moins de cinq mois  d'activités – Remparts de Québec

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bettman must have dealt with a rude waiter in a French restaurant once which has turned his entire life’s mission to exerting revenge on the Francophone community. 

He got a free dessert in Montreal once which has given them a pass.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

VmWIn6B.png

Bettman wasn't kidding when he said that there are a lot of sports fans in Arizona's large market.

Football games have good attendance numbers:

FxzmXU2aQAAP6Hm?format=jpg

UOFAWIDEIMG_9795.jpg

POP_00_0796_00_N25_medium.jpg

---

Too bad there aren't that many hockey fans. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Bettman wasn't kidding when he said that there are a lot of sports fans in Arizona's large market.

Football games have good attendance numbers:

FxzmXU2aQAAP6Hm?format=jpg

UOFAWIDEIMG_9795.jpg

POP_00_0796_00_N25_medium.jpg

---

Too bad there aren't that many hockey fans. 🤷‍♂️

The bottom stadium will have tumbleweeds and cricket noises if the Cardinals are as bad as we think they will be.  

5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

The bottom stadium will have tumbleweeds and cricket noises if the Cardinals are as bad as we think they will be.  

They’ll still sell out, city of Phoenix is a football city, even as bad as the Cardinals are, they still sell out, especially last year. 

Did he say "we want to make sure we explore all options before ... we consider whether to relocate"?

Haven't they been doing that for the past 10 years?  What option hasn't been explored?  

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Did he say "we want to make sure we explore all options before ... we consider whether to relocate"?

Haven't they been doing that for the past 10 years?  What option hasn't been explored?  

he's doing the reverse Rob Manfred.

Manfred: "Oakland is not a viable MLB city, and the league should have no problem accepting the A's move to Las Vegas.  If I have to I will talk to the Nevada Legislature to push to finalize the stadium deal"

Bettman: "Phoenix is a viable NHL city.  Whichever city in the area they go next I will talk to city officials to make sure an area deal is done"

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

Bettman is going down the list of settlements in the Sun Valley. I'm pretty sure that Tolleson, Palo Verde and New River haven't told the Yotes to F*** off. Yet.

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I'm only being half serious, but what about Tucson? It's got a metro pop of about a million. No suitable arena mind you, yet. 

More suitable than Mullett is 

EDIT: In all seriousness, last season the Roadrunners were 28th in AHL attendance, averaging just 3,625 fans per game. Their best-drawing season was 2018-19, when they drew 4,294 fans per game and finished 23rd. And that's all considering that the Roadrunners are basically the only pro game in town; the city doesn't even have a D-League team, and hasn't had a MiLB team since 2013. Perhaps an NHL team could actually fill the 8,900-seat Tucson Arena, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I'm only being half serious, but what about Tucson? It's got a metro pop of about a million. No suitable arena mind you, yet. 

No, Bettman wants the Coyotes to stay in the Phoenix area so that he can move the Maple Leafs to Tucson.

• LOL 2

On 6/5/2023 at 6:54 PM, habsfan1 said:

Thousands of fans outside celebrating their minor league team's championship victory.

That's doesn't include fans inside the building.

Alright, we get it. Who are you moving to the West to make room for the Nordiques in the East? News flash: it's not going to be Detroit or Columbus.

I'll wait.

• Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, Kevin W. said:

Alright, we get it. Who are you moving to the West to make room for the Nordiques in the East? News flash: it's not going to be Detroit or Columbus.

I'll wait.

Expansion.