NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

On 2/2/2024 at 2:52 PM, GDAWG said:

I wonder what will get resolved first: the Coyotes new arena or the A's move to Las Vegas, because right now both of them are disasters.  

The A's mess could last one-to-four years. So their situation will easily be resolved first.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 1/29/2024 at 11:43 PM, VampyrRabbit said:

So which would be better for SLC? Getting a relocated Coyotes or an expansion franchise?

I think they'd be better off getting the Coyotes. Whatever the relocation fee would be, it would be much less than an expansion fee. They'd also be inheriting a roster with a lot of good, young talent, no terrible anchor contracts (there's only 2 guys who are signed for more than the next 2 seasons), and a ton of draft capital.

On 1/31/2024 at 6:38 PM, LaGrandeOrange said:

Truly ridiculous- that's some definition of insanity stuff, what makes us think Atlanta will work a third time?

I can't say whether it would work or not, but the potential owners seem confident that having the arena/entertainment district in the northern suburbs would be a better situation (similar to the Braves). The market itself has the typical things the league likes in a city (large population/tv market, massive corporate presence), plus it's the headquarters of Turner Broadcasting, which is now a league partner.

Both of the prior Atlanta relocations can be reasoned away if wanted.

The Flames moved in 1980. There's little comparison to be made between the Flames situation and a potential new team nearly 50 years later. The Thrashers were bought in a package deal by an ownership group who wanted nothing to do with them and handled them like they wanted nothing to do with them.

I personally don't think the Flames should be used a knock on the feasibility of the Atlanta market but I can see some questioning through the Thrashers.

• Like 4

IbjBaeE.png

Bettman mentioned today that the league has talked with groups interested in expansion in Atlanta, Kansas City, Salt Lake City, Houston, Omaha, and Cincinnati. The first four are no surprise but Cincinnati shocked me. Cincinnati would need a new arena. There have been talks about a new arena here for at least the last decade. Omaha could possibly work, If Kansas City is a no go, plus Omaha doesnt have a team in the Big Four. I could see them like a hockey version of Oklahoma City with the Thunder. Their only competition for fans is the USHL Lancers in suburban Omaha and Creighton basketball.

Signature intentionally left blank

38 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Bettman mentioned today that the league has talked with groups interested in expansion in Atlanta, Kansas City, Salt Lake City, Houston, Omaha, and Cincinnati. The first four are no surprise but Cincinnati shocked me. Cincinnati would need a new arena. There have been talks about a new arena here for at least the last decade. Omaha could possibly work, If Kansas City is a no go, plus Omaha doesnt have a team in the Big Four. I could see them like a hockey version of Oklahoma City with the Thunder. Their only competition for fans is the USHL Lancers in suburban Omaha and Creighton basketball.

You are from Cincy, does Cincy have the ability to host NFL, MLB, MLS and NHL?

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

plus it's the headquarters of Turner Broadcasting, which is now a league partner.

"Turner Broadcasting" as Atlanta institution barely exists in any meaningful way. It's basically just a branch office of Warner and has been for years. CNN is run out of Washington and New York, and the other channels are just reruns and sports.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, The_Admiral said:

"Turner Broadcasting" as Atlanta institution barely exists in any meaningful way. It's basically just a branch office of Warner and has been for years. CNN is run out of Washington and New York, and the other channels are just reruns and sports.

Is the former home of The World of Sid and Marty Krofft not CNN anymore?

IbjBaeE.png

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

You are from Cincy, does Cincy have the ability to host NFL, MLB, MLS and NHL?

We can handle the Reds, Bengals and FCC. I dont think we could handle a fourth. Cincy sports has a bit of a lull after the Bengals season ends until Reds opening day. Hockey is low on the totem pole here. With the Reds, Bengals, and FCC at the top, followed by college football and basketball, and hockey at the bottom. The ECHL Cyclones currently average 6,708 fans a game this season in the ECHL. Heritage Bank Center holds 14,453 for hockey if both the upper and lower bowls are open. Usually only the lower bowl is open but a few games a year attract enough for upper bowl sales. Most games bring in fans courtesy of some kind of promotion like $2 beers, teddy bear toss or a kids themed night from Nickelodeon or Marvel. While this may be good for minor league, I dont think the NHL could attract. Many here still wish for the NBA to bring the Royals back.

Our biggest issue right now is arena. Heritage Bank Center opened for the WHA Stingers in 1975. It hasnt had a major renovation since 1997. There have been talks of a renovation or new arena for nearly a decade but nothing has ever come out of it other than proposals and renderings. The issue is who is going to pay for it. Government leaders and taxpayers are skeptical after deals to build Great American Ballpark and Paycor Stadium. Its the reason why TQL Stadium was privately funded. With renovations or a new arena going nowhere Cincinnati has lost out on big events and concerts to surrounding cities that have newer and larger facilities  (most notably we lost out on hosting NCAA basketball tournament games and the Republican National Convention). Our local government believes a new arena isnt a rush right now as they are more focused on three larger projects, the convention center renovation and building of a hotel,  the Brent Spence Bridge project and replacement of the Western Hills Viaduct. At the earliest unless a private individual comes forward to fund and build a new arena, they arent looking at an arena replacement until after 2030. Some here also believe that a new arena  isnt worth the investment unless we bring in a major league tenant.  Our current arena does fine with 34 Cyclones games, concerts, and other events. Plus IMHO, I think we would do just fine without a major league tenant, similar to how Kansas City does with the T-Mobile Center.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I wonder what will get resolved first: the Coyotes new arena or the A's move to Las Vegas, because right now both of them are disasters.  

The Coyotes were having issues, even when they had a building of their own. At this point, I don't know if it ever gets resolved.

b83ca4ac17468e71659a25b8323fe0ef2c59a461

• LOL 1

Adding more on potential for Cincinnati. While not confirmed, the interest in the NHL for Cincinnati could possibly be coming from FC Cincinnati Co-CEO and President Jeff Berding. Berding along with Co-CEO and founder Carl Lindner III are responsible for FC Cincinnati getting to MLS and building TQL Stadium. Berding was also an executive with the Bengals for 19 years and was on Cincinnatis city council from 2005-11. He is also currently board chair of Visit Cincy. With his role for Visit Cincy along with the Cincinnati Regional Chamber, just this week announced they are spearheading a study for a new arena. In the past year one spot mentioned for a potential new arena was located next to TQL Stadium  at what is currently a parking garage and studios for Cincinnati Public Radio and WCET, the local PBS station. They are scheduled to move to a new building soon. Also this week on the north side of TQL Stadium, FCC is looking to build a three hundred million dollar development that would include a hotel, apartments, office space, retail, restaurants, music/entertainment venues and an outdoor plaza. The team requested $26.4 milion from the a state tax credit program, but was denied this week. Basically if this is Berdings doing for interest in the NHL in Cincy, it is a very plausible effort, seeing his success with FCC as well as other ventures here in the city. Berding might not have the money for an arena or a team, but he has connections with some of Cincinnatis wealthiest people.

5 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Omaha?  That's interesting, but I don't know if it can work.  I think that if MLS gets to 40, Omaha might be possible.  

I remember local hero @Sport pointing out that the Cincinnati and Dayton metros have basically merged into one agglomeration.  Not a lot of separation between Cincinnayton and Columbus, which itself keeps sprawling. None at all, really.

I've always said Cincinnati just intuitively feels like an NHL town more than Columbus does, and would have had the benefit of not having a big-time college arena down the street from its own, but there's no way you can have both towns in the league at the same time.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 3:04 AM, Sykotyk said:

You would get a lot of mormon support from surrounding states and the rest of Utah. You'd see a huge territory of southern Idaho, western Wyoming, northwest Colorado, and east/northern Nevada

Which comes to out to what, about 58 people? Half of which probably live in a mountain?

Just put together a whole roster of guys named Ryker, Clorgyn, Krylan, and Sclarktyn, which is honestly easier than it should be, and don't stop the people of southern Idaho from making inferences.

• LOL 1

19 hours ago, Dilbert said:

The biggest competition in Omaha from a hockey market standpoint is actually Omaha Mavericks college hockey. The Mavericks and Lancers each have their own arenas, while an NHL team would play at the downtown venue. From a scheduling standpoint, Creighton basketball would be the major conflict.

Omaha has a deep hockey history. The 2005-2007 version of the Omaha Knights was the last pro hockey team in town, but they were horribly mismanaged and the Calgary Flames were impatient and quickly moved the franchise elsewhere (and have continued to relocate the franchise every so often, but that's another story). The Mavs play in college hockey's best conference and have a strong fanbase and some consistent national attention. There's absolutely a market here for hockey.

The bigger piece of the puzzle is the support ANY big-5 professional team would get if based in Omaha. People often cite the diehard support of Husker football or any of the other local college teams as a reason a pro team wouldn't work here. As in, people care so much about those teams that there isn't any room left for another franchise. In reality, Omahans have shown time and again that they'll show up for just about any sporting event. And all the pro teams around here get great support (Union Omaha, Omaha Storm Chasers, Omaha Supernovas). Plus an impressive track record hosting the College World Series, US swim trials, and US curling trials, all of which the community have fallen in love with.

I don't think Omaha is an actual market in consideration for any of the big-5 professional leagues, but I do think the NHL would actually be the best option and could work.

• Love 1

Quebec City is conspicuous by its absence on that list. Are they poking around the Coyotes, have they completely given up, or has Bettman stopped returning their calls? "ohhh dur dur dur they're not economically viable" stfu, we're sitting here talking about Omaha

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

I remember local hero @Sport pointing out that the Cincinnati and Dayton metros have basically merged into one agglomeration.  Not a lot of separation between Cincinnayton and Columbus, which itself keeps sprawling. None at all, really.

I've always said Cincinnati just intuitively feels like an NHL town more than Columbus does, and would have had the benefit of not having a big-time college arena down the street from its own, but there's no way you can have both towns in the league at the same time.

Cincinnati and Dayton are pretty close enough that they can be one big agglomeration. Kings Island and West Chester are about the mid point between the two. My issue is while many from Dayton come down to Cincinnati for the Reds, Bengals, FCC and other events, Im not sure many Cincinnatians go to Dayton other than attending college.

Yeah, I'm sure there's a similar one-way flow with Cleveland and Akron. I wouldn't put an NHL team there, either. Columbus really precludes both, which I'm sure was indirectly part of the idea: neither market can 100%-for-sure sustain a team, but be Ohio's Team and pull secondary support from both. Honestly would have been smooth sailing had Ohio State not built an identical arena down the street.

• Like 1