NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

10 minutes ago, Digby said:

I'm choosing to consider this an NHL bad decision becuase I assume it's the Jacobs' fault. The Bruins have a new bag policy for home games that bans any bags larger than 6 x 4 x 1.5 inches. Even if they're clear. Only exception is, conveniently, shopping bags for any purchased items from the Garden pro shop in the train station. (I assume this is also in effect for Celtics games and concerts, but I ran into it first via the Bruins.)

6 x 4 is absolutely tiny for a bag! I get banning huge backpacks or whatever but come on, this is a nuisance.

Devil's advocate - what do you need to bring to a game that needs to go in a bag?

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

12 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Devil's advocate - what do you need to bring to a game that needs to go in a bag?

Phone, wallet, keys, glasses, mobile charger, meds, tampons, hand sanitizer, gloves. I mean, not all of those things at once, but some combination of 3-5 of those items seems pretty reasonable. If I need a glasses change and my mobile charger with me I'll usually take a crossbody with me instead of cramming things into every pocket I've got.

The Pro level of Pixels and iPhones wouldn't even fit in one of these bags!

• Like 2

On 2/24/2024 at 9:00 AM, BBTV said:

praying to various gods that their diseased children heal quickly before reaching the estimated Canadian life expectancy of 30 (since nobody can afford health care, unlike in the States where everything is affordable and everyone has access to care

The increase in taxes to pay for that health care is the financial equivalent of every single person getting into a life threatening car accident every single year. So yeah, brilliant. Congrats.

• Huh? 2
  • Dislike 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

3 hours ago, Digby said:

I'm choosing to consider this an NHL bad decision becuase I assume it's the Jacobs' fault. The Bruins have a new bag policy for home games that bans any bags larger than 6 x 4 x 1.5 inches. Even if they're clear. Only exception is, conveniently, shopping bags for any purchased items from the Garden pro shop in the train station. (I assume this is also in effect for Celtics games and concerts, but I ran into it first via the Bruins.)

6 x 4 is absolutely tiny for a bag! I get banning huge backpacks or whatever but come on, this is a nuisance.

I thought you were complaining about feet, not inches. I did a reverse Stonehenge. My spatial reasoning, it's not so great.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 2/24/2024 at 4:53 AM, who do you think said:

I don't live in Canada and don't know anyone who does, so my knowledge of whatever goes on up there is limited to whatever I happen to stumble across either here or on sites like reddit, which could be ChatGPT bots for all I know. But it seems like standard of living isn't great up there right now, by North American standards. And Winnipeg apparently has never been particularly strong in that regard anyway. So people probably just can't afford the price point they're insisting on. The lowest available ticket price being almost double that of the Blue Bombers is silly.

CFL tickets being significantly cheaper than NHL tickets is pretty standard up here, and the Jets have the 2nd lowest ticket prices in the country. Their arena is the smallest in the league, so they do have to charge a little more to make up for the lower overall attendance.

As a small market team, Winnipeg has relied heavily on their season ticket base to keep the building full. It sounds like a lot of their previous season ticket sales were to groups of people who shared them for the year, but when one person in that group suddenly can't afford their portion you lose the entire group. It also feels like the organization took the fans for granted, and weren't providing any sort of proper service to retain clients (as others have mentioned). 

On 2/24/2024 at 10:13 AM, The_Admiral said:

And what product? Kevin Cheveldayoff has been overseeing a rebuild that's been going on since the release of the iPad and has failed to build a team that's reliably in the conversation every single year nor a team that picks a few years to go all-in. I don't think that's because Winnipeg is scary, it's just years' worth of insufficient drafting/development, which, under guaranteed payouts and a hard cap, any organization anywhere needs to get right.

I'm not sure if you've been seeing the standings this year, but the Jets are first in their division and top 5 in the league overall. No front office is perfect, but Cheveldayoff managed to get long term commitments from key pieces. He also managed to effectively navigate having 2 elite young players who had no interest in playing there. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

I thought you were complaining about feet, not inches. I did a reverse Stonehenge. My spatial reasoning, it's not so great.

Not permitted inside TD Garden. Unless you buy the souvenir version at their own Pro Shop.

b22ec7b9dba69f2d31e15e76e8906356.1000x53 

• Like 2

On 2/27/2024 at 2:41 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

As a father of a kid still in diapers, 6x4 is an absurd limit. Unless the venue is going to supply diapers and wipes (at a minimum!) free of charge, they've got to allow bags big enough to accommodate parents.

What happened to 12x12x6 being the industry standard? They just changed the policy at FedEx Forum to 6x8x2, but they didn't do anything about my more reasonably-sized 12x12 bag to the game I went to last month. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Applause 1

16 minutes ago, YELDARBfield said:

As a father of a kid still in diapers, 6x4 is an absurd limit. Unless the venue is going to supply diapers and wipes (at a minimum!) free of charge, they've got to allow bags big enough to accommodate parents.

What happened to 12x12x6 being the industry standard? They just changed the policy at FedEx Forum to 6x8x2, but they didn't do anything about my more reasonably-sized 12x12 bag to the game I went to last month. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Does a kid in diapers need to attend a pro sporting event?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Eyeroll 1

It's where I sit.

19 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Rolling into my middle-aged phase as a childfree person is like half of my personality trait, and even I think this is a bad take.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, YELDARBfield said:

Considering the child's father works in professional sports, yeah.

Color me confused. You're the one working in pro sports? And you need to take your kid in diapers with you to work?

• LOL 1

It's where I sit.

On 3/3/2024 at 5:01 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

Took my son to his 1st a game at 3 years old and brought diapers just in case (he had a blast)

• Like 2

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

3 hours ago, charger77 said:

Took my son to his 1st a game at 3 years old and brought diapers just in case (he had a blast)

Hopefully not in his diapers

• LOL 5

Signature intentionally left blank

8 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Color me confused. You're the one working in pro sports? And you need to take your kid in diapers with you to work?

I work for an MiLB team, and my wife brings the boys to games because it's a fun thing to do with family. Our ballpark has a splash pad, so a change of clothes is a necessity, even for the one not in diapers. And when I'm not working, we go to games elsewhere, so things like ear protection for the kids are good to have. A bag is always necessary.

Point is, parents take kids to events. Unreasonable bag limits like the Bruins' new policy just add another barrier to entry. I get requiring clear bags and banning larger bags for safety reasons, but there was nothing wrong with the 12x12x6 standard.

• Like 2

Yes the rules are a bit restrictive, but straight from the Bruins site...

"Exceptions will be made for diaper bags, breast pump bags, bags needed for medical purposes"

TDG-BagPolicy-V2-600x400-bdb337fd93.jpg

• Applause 2

So that's one group escaping the inconvenience, cool, but it's still a nuisance of a policy, especially for women who are more likely to rely on (totally reasonably sized!) purses and bags. You can't get into a Bruins game for less than $150, why treat customers like schoolchildren?

(Just kidding, I know why, there's a $15 bag locker truck (but only at one corner's entrance) and the beers inside are up to $18 this year.)

• Like 4

Vernon Krause, the billionaire spearheading the return of the NHL to Atlanta, said in an interview that if the NHL does indeed expand to Atlanta, that he hopes to drop puck for the 2027-28 season.