NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

33 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

But they’ll have to start winning, and look more like a Nashville, Dallas, or Tampa than a Phoenix, otherwise this franchise could be the Nordiques 2.0

They should have been Nordiques 2.0 13 years ago.

• Like 5
  • WOAH 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The only issue I can see with Atlanta getting an expansion team (apart from the fact that it would be hilarious to see some people's heads absolutely explode) is that you'd need to add three more expansion teams along with them to keep things balanced.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 3/9/2024 at 11:02 AM, GDAWG said:

Good on the Virginia Assembly for turning down a potential Caps and Wizards arena in Alexandria....or at least not putting the issue on this year's budget.  

Youngkin when he can't give a billionaire a taxpayer bailout:

tumblr_l9s0oylfm21qz4w1go1_400.png

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/northern-virginia/insider-alexandria-texts-discuss-arena-plan-to-tax-the-crap-out-of-users/3562145/

One of those answers reveals Monumental expected to pay $29.6 million in lease payments on the new arena. It’s a lot of money, but only a little more than the company spends now in mortgage and rent payments for Capital One Arena, according to information the I-Team gathered and The Washington Post reported.

The really eye-catching message was a text discussing the funding of the arena plan from Alexandria Mayor Justin Wilson. It reads, “The only difference between this arena deal and outdoor dining on King Street was scale.”

It’s not exactly clear who he was texting to, but he continued, “We finance and build the street, let a private restaurant use it in exchange for rent, and then tax the crap out of their operation to pay for the street and then some.”

Wilson stood by the message Thursday — even the part about “taxing the crap” out of people who dine or attend arena events.  In a phone call with the I-Team, Mayor Wilson called it “informal language” but told the I-Team the funding mechanism for outdoor dining in Old Town and a $2 billion arena is the same aside from the scale of the plan. He even pointed to his posts on X where he explained that.

He sent the I-Team the post he was referring to. It didn’t say anything about taxing the crap out of anyone.

I'm so delighted to see this fail.

"Five (frustrating) NHL predictions for 2024"

Spoiler

Brodie Brazil predicts, among other things, that:

1. The Arizona Coyotes will move to Salt Lake City, but the NHL will then turn around and grant an expansion team for the Phoenix market that would debut if and when the Phoenix area finally has a new NHL-specification and NHL-size arena.

2. The NHL will award a third expansion franchise to the Atlanta market.

22 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

"Five (frustrating) NHL predictions for 2024"

Hide contents

Brodie Brazil predicts, among other things, that:

1. The Arizona Coyotes will move to Salt Lake City, but the NHL will then turn around and grant an expansion team for the Phoenix market that would debut if and when the Phoenix area finally has a new NHL-specification and NHL-size arena.

2. The NHL will award a third expansion franchise to the Atlanta market.

I wouldn't stomach the Blackhawks if they "won" the draft again this year.

Looks like we have two competing groups for NHL expansion to Atlanta (Both in Alpharetta) . Vernon Krause with his South Forsyth (The Gathering) plan and former NHLer Anson Carter and his North Point Mall property site plan. They're about 5 miles from each other. 

• Facepalm 1

On 3/13/2024 at 5:51 PM, BottomlessPitt said:

Looks like we have two competing groups for NHL expansion to Atlanta (Both in Alpharetta) . Vernon Krause with his South Forsyth (The Gathering) plan and former NHLer Anson Carter and his North Point Mall property site plan. They're about 5 miles from each other. 

Build both arenas. Once Atlanta 3.0 moves to Quebec just award Atlanta 4.0 to the other group ... soooo Saskatoon can get in on the NHL fun.

• LOL 2

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

22 hours ago, BottomlessPitt said:

"People are craving certainty," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said recently. "And we are, too, but this isn't a 60-minute game where the light goes on and the game's over. [Meruelo] is working on it. We still have some time."

Yeah, it doesn't appear to be a best-of-seven series, either, or they'd have lost that, too. It's more like that time the Bolts ran a 1-3-1 against the Flyers so the Flyers just stood there not doing anything, except instead of lasting a minute it lasted 15 years.

I don’t know anything about Phoenix, but just from fooling around on Google Maps, this seems like a terrible spot for an arena. This is still far from the population center, just in a different direction now. 

(Yes, I know there is basically no chance anything happens with this attempt either.)

Theoretically all Ryan Smith has to do is make a higher bid and pledge to build a community park there and off the 'Yotes go to SLC.

• LOL 2

VmWIn6B.png

15 hours ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

I don’t know anything about Phoenix, but just from fooling around on Google Maps, this seems like a terrible spot for an arena. This is still far from the population center, just in a different direction now. 

(Yes, I know there is basically no chance anything happens with this attempt either.)

It seems like it's worse than the proposed Tempe site, but not as bad as Glendale. For most of the fanbase that's in the East Valley they'd still have a decent drive, but they at least wouldn't have to drive through central Phoenix. North Scottsdale is also one of the richest areas of Phoenix, which doesn't hurt.

• Like 1

For those with closer knowledge of DC area sports, can Washington DC afford to keep the Caps and Wizards and also get a new stadium done at the old RFK site for the Commanders?  

On 3/24/2024 at 2:29 AM, GDAWG said:

For those with closer knowledge of DC area sports, can Washington DC afford to keep the Caps and Wizards and also get a new stadium done at the old RFK site for the Commanders?  

With the Caps and Wiz staying in DC (a no-brainer) with $515 million in renovations, the floor has been set for luring the WTFs back to the RFK stadium site. However, I suspect it will cost DC at least $1.5 billion for redevelopment and bringing football back to the District. 

The only metric I am going with is the construction cost of NFL stadiums from a 2022 article.

Do you think Blumpkin will try to make a play for the Football Team now that the Capitals stayed put? I know Snyder had been exploring a move to Virginia for quite a while.

15 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

Do you think Blumpkin will try to make a play for the Football Team now that the Capitals stayed put? I know Snyder had been exploring a move to Virginia for quite a while.

I'd imagine that the Governor learned his lesson with this defeat. He pretty much botched the handling of the situation. Honestly, there's only been two options, either keep them in Maryland or relocate to a refurbished RFK Stadium in the District.

4 minutes ago, BrySmalls said:

I'd imagine that the Governor learned his lesson with this defeat. He pretty much botched the handling of the situation. Honestly, there's only been two options, either keep them in Maryland or relocate to a refurbished RFK Stadium in the District.

It also got a little known Virginia Senator named Louise Lucas a lot of attention.  

The Commanders will probably end up back in RFK, if DC can afford it.