NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Friedman deleted that tweet but added a new one saying roughly the same thing.

Let's not forget that the Coyotes once came 15 minutes away from death and escaped, but this really might be it.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, The_Admiral said:

Let's not forget that the Coyotes once came 15 minutes away from death and escaped, but this really might be it.

I feel like Elrond when retelling the story of their near move to Seattle.

spacer.png

”I was there, Gandalf. I was on the CCSLC, reloading the thread to see the updates from the Glendale Council meeting. When the strength of men failed in the face of sports.”

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

I just read this story on ESPN.com: https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/39931044/arizona-coyotes-players-informed-team-relocation-utah

Arizona Coyotes players were informed Friday that the team is relocating to Utah, sources told ESPN, confirming a report by PHNX Sports.

Coyotes general manager Bill Armstrong met with the players ahead of their game against the Edmonton Oilers to confirm what had been rumored all week: that the NHL has facilitated a sale to Ryan and Ashley Smith, owners of the Utah Jazz. The Coyotes will begin playing there next season.

The NHL and Smith's group have been working on a deal, but sources told ESPN on Friday night that nothing was done yet, and there was plenty of work to go before the deal was finalized.

An announcement is expected next week, at the conclusion of the NHL regular season, sources told ESPN.

Coyotes players and staff members will be invited to visit Salt Lake City after their season finale to check out the city and facilities.

The plan is for the team to play at the Delta Center, which is owned by Smith and is also home to the NBA's Jazz. However, sources told ESPN that the NHL has made clear to the Smiths that a hockey-specific upgrade is needed at the Delta Center in order to become the team's permanent home.

Smith already has government support. A bill was passed in the Utah State Senate to help fund a renovated entertainment district downtown in anticipation of an NHL franchise. The bill already has approval from Utah governor Spencer Cox.

Seems pretty final to me.

Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo has been on a years-long quest to find a permanent home for the Coyotes, who have been temporarily playing their home games at Arizona State's Mullett Arena. Meruelo has eyed a plot in the Phoenix area and intends to win a state-run land auction for it on June 27. However, according to sources, the NHL grew skeptical of the timeline and decided it needed a better solution for next season.

The NHL is interested in returning to Arizona in the future and will leave the door open to Meruelo to own the team.

That's a really kind thing to say but when you break up with someone it's ultimately the kindest to tell them it's never going to work out and they should move on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

That's a really kind thing to say but when you break up with someone it's ultimately the kindest to tell them it's never going to work out and they should move on.

I would give good money to have “Little Lies” playing over the final moments of the Arizona Coyotes. What better song than one about a relationship that should’ve ended ages ago but deception kept it around?

It's weird seeing some of the discourse this is stirring up. People crying "but Auston Matthews" and "will someone think of the women and children...'s hockey programs". There's only so much money loss people can take.

There have been some positives in terms of grassroots efforts with the Coyotes but it's like people have forgotten (or just aren't aware) about just how moribund of a franchise  Coyotes have been for their existence.

IbjBaeE.png

16 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

At this point, Bettman should just let the Yotes move without a league vote.

I almost wonder if the league just voted to move Bettman.

Lest you think that the good guys won in any way here, Alex Meruelo is being rewarded with a billion dollars for not paying his taxes. Somewhere in Scottsdale, Jerry Reinsdorf is like "this guy is stealing my ideas!"

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

45 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Are any of us really ready to deal with the Arizona fans cursing Bettman's name over the Arizona Coyotes turning into the Utah Yotes?

I've been on this ride so long that I was around for a particularly off-kilter member telling us all that the Coyotes would skate on the frozen blood of the non-believers. I'm ready for whatever comes out of the woodwork here.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Just now, Sodboy13 said:

I've been on this ride so long that I was around for a particularly off-kilter member telling us all that the Coyotes would skate on the frozen blood of the non-believers. I'm ready for whatever comes out of the woodwork here.

You gotta say it with more panache, like:

【 Skating on the frozen blood of non-believers】

• Applause 1

Man. Salt Lake City. The league is a Portland/Austin expansion away from an in-season tournament for smug transplant cities.

Well, it was nice having hockey in Tucson while it lasted, but as soon as the Tempe location fell through, I kind of expected this.

They'll move the Roadrunners to Phoenix, adopt the kachina full-time, and call it a day. There's no way they give the Knights time to poach the market. It's still attractive as an AHL location.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

On 4/11/2024 at 5:58 PM, The_Admiral said:

I have no excitement for this. I have major reservations about a market of 2.5 million with heavily directional sprawl where the only other team in the market runs concurrently and is almost as established as the Church of England, where hockey does not have a long history of success, where the arena has the same NBA-first sightlines that doomed Phoenix in the first place. The only advantage Salt Lake City has over Quebec City is staying on Mountain Time.

I have no excitement for Utah either and I think we're all kind of blindsided by that being the location that ultimately landed the Coyotes after the dozen other markets that got close in the last decade. It reminds me of Jacksonville getting the Jags because the NFL needed to expand by two teams, but the bids in better markets all tripped over their own butts so the Jacksonville bid was picked by default. 

I was just correcting our guy up there who said that people were hypocritically celebrating the Utah Hockey Pucks using public funds to build an arena when A. nobody is doing that because B. that would require that anyone be fired up for Utah at all. 

On 4/11/2024 at 5:58 PM, The_Admiral said:

But the Coyotes have been on life support for 15 years, the league has cockteased four or five different cities now only to keep doubling down on stupid, and every owner since the days of league control has run out of money, not paid taxes, or both. Enough already. I'm old and tired. Just let this end.

A thing I think is interesting is most people's response has been "ahh yeah well probably for the best" Very few people defending Phoenix.

At least now we get to stop following their endless relocation saga. It's a bit of a relief. 

PvO6ZWJ.png