- Hamilton

- Winnipeg

- Seattle

- Quebec City

- Houston

- Likely more that I’m forgetting/we don’t know about

The city that finally got them:

- Salt Lake City

You forgot Portland in the early 2000s, had the Coyotes not gotten the Glendale arena. We could have avoided this whole thing.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 minutes ago, zubazpirate said:

Salt Lake City seems like a weird landing pad for the NHL. It's a pretty small market (smaller than Calgary and Edmonton from a population standpoint, although I'm sure their GDP is a fair bit higher), and it already has a significant competitor in the form of an established NBA team. Usually the NHL only goes for smaller markets when it's clearly the biggest game in town (Columbus, Raleigh, most Canadian cities).

Maybe they'll be able to make it work, but it seems odd to me that they'd choose a small, relatively crowded market as opposed to a huge city like Houston. Even a place like San Diego is significantly bigger and without direct competition (the NBA and NHL teams up the road in LA/OC don't really count).

Yes, but Salt Lake had something most of those other places may not have currently had.....an owner that was ready to move quickly.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

3 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Yes, buy Salt Lake had something most of those other places may not have currently had.....an owner that was ready to move quickly.

Balsillie would have had the Coyotes ready to go in Hamilton for 2009-10. Winnipeg was 15 minutes away from announcing the move in spring 2010. Quebecor got the Colisee back up to NHL standards in anticipation. The moving trucks were bound for Seattle.

It's not a matter of logistics. It's that now and only now, after getting evicted from their arena, losing a vote for a new one, and not having their crap together for a different new one, that Bettman lost faith in them or the board lost faith in Bettman. This was a 15-year passion project on the part of the commissioner's office that was put to an end.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PrimalCookie said:

Cities that tried to get the Coyotes but failed:

- Kansas City
- Hamilton

- Winnipeg

- Seattle

- Quebec City

- Houston

- Likely more that I’m forgetting/we don’t know about

The city that finally got them:

- Salt Lake City

I think Utah will be a pretty good hockey market, I’m just shocked they were the ones to get it done after so long. I really hate it for the the Coyotes fans… but it was time. It had been time for a while. Maybe they get a second chance down the road and make use of it, or not and they just become Atlanta 2.

Sucks, but it also doesn’t. Yknow?

Seattle and Winnipeg did eventually get NHL teams.  Salt Lake City out of the running gives Houston a legit shot for an expansion team.

And the Nordiques will probably be back whenever Atlanta 3 fails again after a decade.  

3 hours ago, zubazpirate said:

Salt Lake City seems like a weird landing pad for the NHL. It's a pretty small market (smaller than Calgary and Edmonton from a population standpoint, although I'm sure their GDP is a fair bit higher), and it already has a significant competitor in the form of an established NBA team. Usually the NHL only goes for smaller markets when it's clearly the biggest game in town (Columbus, Raleigh, most Canadian cities).

Maybe they'll be able to make it work, but it seems odd to me that they'd choose a small, relatively crowded market as opposed to a huge city like Houston. Even a place like San Diego is significantly bigger and without direct competition (the NBA and NHL teams up the road in LA/OC don't really count).

I think small markets are actually the way to go for the NHL. I don’t see the league getting more popular as time goes on. I think moving into markets where it’s No. 1 or 2 in the local sports hierarchy is the most logical move. 

Even with competent leadership, I’d bet a franchise would still suffer in sports-saturated Phoenix. Atlanta was (and could be again) a similar circumstance. Houston, too, for that matter. It doesn’t really matter if there’s a “hockey culture” there if the team gets lost in all the noise.

Places like SLC, Quebec City, or maybe even Omaha, stand a better chance at success. 

The league will always have the cornerstones of NewYork, LA, Boston and Chicago to offer the reach necessary for big TV contracts.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, MDGP said:

Only real downside in all this will be losing the Kachina logo, though it would absolutely be in character for a Utah team to just keep it even though it's irrelevant to the area.

They can rebrand and still have a kachina in use. Their AHL affiliate, the Tucson Roadrunners, have a Kachina alternate. Move them to the Phoenix market, call them the Phoenix Roadrunners, and use that full-time. WHA nostalgia bros and kachina fans would both be happy.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I think small markets are actually the way to go for the NHL. I don’t see the league getting more popular as time goes on. I think moving into markets where it’s No. 1 or 2 in the local sports hierarchy is the most logical move. 

Thanks for reminding me that this team has to compete with BYU/UofU football too. But then, as I've said before, the BYU/Coyotes overlap is probably going to be very thin.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

Even with competent leadership, I’d bet a franchise would still suffer in sports-saturated Phoenix. Atlanta was (and could be again) a similar circumstance. Houston, too, for that matter. It doesn’t really matter if there’s a “hockey culture” there if the team gets lost in all the noise.

Places like SLC, Quebec City, or maybe even Omaha, stand a better chance at success. 

The league will always have the cornerstones of NewYork, LA, Boston and Chicago to offer the reach necessary for big TV contracts.

The likely rationale for Houston in the NHL is that "if hockey can work in Dallas, it can work in Houston" and the NHL wants that Dallas vs. Houston rivalry.   If that turns out to be the main reason for a team in Houston, it's a stupid and short-sighted reason.   One of the reasons the NHL worked in Dallas right away was because the team was competitive to start.  Were there seasons where they weren't great?  Yes there were, but they were never bad enough to where attendance was a disaster.  Their worst season was 1995-1996 when they won 26 games in a full season.  Otherwise, they've either been at .500 or a few games below it in their three decades.  

There's no guarantee Houston will be a success in the NHL as the Stars have been.  The success of the Stars have resulted in a state sanctioned high school hockey league in the DFW area and places known as StarCenters, which serve as community centers for ice skating and ice hockey.  It also led to the arrival of the Allen Americans of the ECHL, in the suburb of Allen, Texas.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

There is a certain poetry in the Coyotes getting Chivas USA'd in the end.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm probably overthinking it and trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, but is there any benefit to the league buying and dissolving the Coyotes and then "expanding" to Utah?  You'd lose the ability to trace the team's lineage to the old Jets, but at this point, is there any value in maintaining that?

If the new team doesn't start its life out under the Coyotes nickname, then maybe making cutting all ties to the Coyotes franchise and simply pretending they didn't exist, would be nice.

And even though it's all made-up BS, if AZ ever got another team, they could "Cleveland" it and resume the lineage, even though everyone knows how the logistics really worked.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I'm probably overthinking it and trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, but is there any benefit to the league buying and dissolving the Coyotes and then "expanding" to Utah?  You'd lose the ability to trace the team's lineage to the old Jets, but at this point, is there any value in maintaining that?

The Seattle expansion fee was $650MM, and the reported way this plays out is the league paying $1B to Alex Mereulo to eff off, then collecting $1.3B from Ryan Smith. So basic math says "yes," but the league line I've seen is "we're getting twice as much as the expansion fee this way," which explains a good bit about this league's business savvy.

The mitigating factor I'm willing to consider is that Mereulo may be quietly in hock to the league a fair bit, and this "billion" he gets involves a good bit taken off the top to make his creditors whole.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

As The Hockey Guy so eloquently stated, the Coyotes are being laundered.

A fitting end for an era of fleecing anyone with a dollar in their wallet.

• Like 2

VmWIn6B.png

2 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Because this couldn't get more YOTES, this delayed statement STILL HAS THE CURSOR LEFT ON

*Cursor still left on

*All Caps

*Stock Microsoft font

*No denial whatsoever

Yep.  It's official.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

VmWIn6B.png

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

He has the "chance", but I'd be willing to bet he just takes the money and runs. The vibe I get based on what I've seen said about him from Coyotes diehards, such as they are, especially among those who actually live in Arizona, is that they hate Meurelo's guts now and wouldn't support him even if he did come back with a new team; meaning that there's strong odds that the Coyotes Mk. 2 could somehow be even more :censored: from the start than the original Coyotes were.

• WOAH 1