NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

9 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

hundreds of regular people who will be losing their jobs or forced to uproot their lives if they want to stay employed. Obviously it's a business decision, but there are still human impacts to any relocation.

unfortunately, many of those hundreds may not even be given the "opportunity" to uproot their lives.  But it's true that there's marketing staff, accounting, and other full-time jobs that are impacted by any move.  I don't think anyone is celebrating their fate (though I do think that there's people don't even recognize that pro sports is more than just the meatheads wearing the uniforms.)

With all due respect to the FTEs that are impacted by this, I'm not sure that it's possible for the average person - myself included - to view this from any other lense than that of a fan who is tired of the whole league being brought down by this complete joke of a franchise that's been sucking money and resources from taxpayers for a decade (or decades).

Taking a job with an unestablished pro-sports franchise comes with risk.  It sucks for the IT guy, but they bet on black and the ball landed on red.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 minutes ago, BBTV said:

unfortunately, many of those hundreds may not even be given the "opportunity" to uproot their lives.  But it's true that there's marketing staff, accounting, and other full-time jobs that are impacted by any move.  I don't think anyone is celebrating their fate (though I do think that there's people don't even recognize that pro sports is more than just the meatheads wearing the uniforms.)

With all due respect to the FTEs that are impacted by this, I'm not sure that it's possible for the average person - myself included - to view this from any other lense than that of a fan who is tired of the whole league being brought down by this complete joke of a franchise that's been sucking money and resources from taxpayers for a decade (or decades).

Taking a job with an unestablished pro-sports franchise comes with risk.  It sucks for the IT guy, but they bet on black and the ball landed on red.

Considering that the Athletic was reporting on the $#!+ show that is the Coyotes front office three years ago, employees should have seen this coming for a long time and had their resumés updated.

• Like 2

VmWIn6B.png

I wonder if Shane Doan's kid is going to copy his old man and say he won't report to Utah because he has a no-move clause.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Now the question is… where do the Kings relocate their Frozen Fury preseason game now and how long until yet another team kicks them out. First was Vegas, now (probably) SLC.  They’re moving most of the preseason to Quebec in the fall so… you’re telling me there’s a chance?

VmWIn6B.png

10 hours ago, LMU said:

Now the question is… where do the Kings relocate their Frozen Fury preseason game now and how long until yet another team kicks them out. First was Vegas, now (probably) SLC.  They’re moving most of the preseason to Quebec in the fall so… you’re telling me there’s a chance?

Why not Phoenix 🤣

If this happens does Phoenix join Atlanta on the "More Likely than Quebec City" list?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

11 hours ago, LMU said:

Bakersfield 

56 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

If this happens does Phoenix join Atlanta on the "More Likely than Quebec City" list?

Yes, but it's a very long list.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

"Oh, sure, but what about the social media managers who will be out of a job?"

The social media managers who will be out of a job:

CDN media

• LOL 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Today I learned Brian Burke killed off "Brass Bonanza" while he was GM in Hartford. I bet he's still ticked that he could never be the league's number one killjoy because he worked in the same era as Lou Lamoriello.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

"Oh, sure, but what about the social media managers who will be out of a job?"

The social media managers who will be out of a job:

CDN media

Finding the Coyotes a forever home they say?

b4KPNOI.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 9

VmWIn6B.png

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I am a little skeptical about Houston.  

Same; as I've noted before Houston hasn't had any kind of hockey team since Les Alexander booted the Aeros out of Toyota Center and into Iowa in 2013. The only reason Houston's even up for consideration now is because Les finally sold the Rockets in 2017. 10 years is a long time for a market to go entirely unserved; even Phoenix still had the IHL's Roadrunners when the Coyotes came to town, IMO that's enough time for any local interest in the sport to wither away altogether.

Despite that I'm cautiously optimistic still; as long as they're owned by the Rockets' owner and playing at Toyota Center, it'll probably go fine, perhaps merely an unremarkable middle-of-the-road success, which would still be a huge step up from Phoenix. Yet I'm also wary that if the situation ever changed, if the Rockets sold the Houston NHLers and/or made them get a new home elsewhere in town, I actually think it could have the potential to be a bigger failure than the Coyotes have been.

1 minute ago, mcj882000 said:

Same; as I've noted before Houston hasn't had any kind of hockey team since Les Alexander booted the Aeros out of Toyota Center and into Iowa in 2013. The only reason Houston's even up for consideration now is because Les finally sold the Rockets in 2017. 10 years is a long time for a market to go entirely unserved; even Phoenix still had the IHL's Roadrunners when the Coyotes came to town, IMO that's enough time for any local interest in the sport to wither away altogether.

Despite that I'm cautiously optimistic still; as long as they're owned by the Rockets' owner and playing at Toyota Center, it'll probably go fine, perhaps merely an unremarkable middle-of-the-road success, which would still be a huge step up from Phoenix. Yet I'm also wary that if the situation ever changed, if the Rockets sold the Houston NHLers and/or made them get a new home elsewhere in town, I actually think it could have the potential to be a bigger failure than the Coyotes have been.

My reason for skepticism from Houston is the mindset that "if the NHL can work in Dallas, it can work in Houston"

5 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

The Delta Center looks atrocious for hockey, but at least it'll be temporary.

I mean the Coyotes first home in Phoenix was atrocious for hockey too

Signature intentionally left blank

It might actually be happening?