NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Say what you want about the Flyers / Comcast / Spectacor, but the Wells Fargo center has had more than 500M in renovations just in the past 3 years, and hundreds of millions before that - all privately financed - and is (IMO) a fantastic-modern arena - and is 28 years old.

Jeff Vinik did the same in Tampa a while back (maybe 10 years ago).  of course there's some things that could be renovated now, but Amalie Arena (formerly Ice Palace) is going on 28 years old in 2024 I believe and looks great too.

The Honda Center is 30 years old and the Samueli's are doing a $4 billion project to turn the area around the arena into one of those entertainment districts. The project isn't projected to be be done until 2029 plus they've put a bunch of money into the arena within the last decade or so, so the Honda Center is looking like an arena that'll be around a while as well.

I also think the Samueli's and the Ducks org as a whole are seeing what's happening directly across the freeway with Arte and have decided to be better civic members of Anaheim.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

On 12/12/2023 at 2:12 AM, GDAWG said:

17 hours ago, GDAWG said:

From what I have read, Monumental Sports and Entertainment want the city of DC to pay for renovations to the Capital One Arena.  I have also read that DC doesn't have the money to pay for renovations and also try to convince the Commanders to move to the site of RFK Stadium and that its one but not both.  

I hope this is a ploy and Leonsis should have enough capital to privately pay for the Capital One Arena upgrades.  It would be a shame if the Caps and Wizards relocated to Potomac Yards. That is an affluent area of Alexandria city and not far from Reagan National Airport.  Congestion would become a nightmare, if it isnt already! I believe DC mentioned that they would cover $500 million in upgrades to the arena to keep both teams in the city.

2 hours ago, BrySmalls said:

I hope this is a ploy and Leonsis should have enough capital to privately pay for the Capital One Arena upgrades.  It would be a shame if the Caps and Wizards relocated to Potomac Yards. That is an affluent area of Alexandria city and not far from Reagan National Airport.  Congestion would become a nightmare, if it isnt already! I believe DC mentioned that they would cover $500 million in upgrades to the arena to keep both teams in the city.

Is there convenient PT to this new site?  Given the transplant population in DC proper, I'm' not sure how many city residents are Wizards/Caps fans, but it'd be a damn shame to rip an accessible arena from them and essentially shut them out from seeing their teams.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Is there convenient PT to this new site?  Given the transplant population in DC proper, I'm' not sure how many city residents are Wizards/Caps fans, but it'd be a damn shame to rip an accessible arena from them and essentially shut them out from seeing their teams.

There's one Metro stop that is shared by the Blue and Yellow lines. A rendering of the planned (future?) site is below. The red is the stadium location. For comparison, the Green and Yellow lines all have a stop directly at Capital One Arena. The Blue, Orange, Silver, and Red lines have a stop a few blocks away from the arena.

This is a blow to downtown DC.

spacer.png

• Like 2

The only convenience I see about Alexandria is that it gets the players in and out through Reagan quicker. The Downtown arena provides an arguably equal travel distance for those in Maryland and Virginia, but moreso for DC residents. I don't know where most of Capitals and Wizards fans are within the DMV (despite being a resident of the area myself), but it would be a big disservice to the Maryland population north/east of the city. The Beltway sucks. You can't make them take the Beltway.

5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So does Washington DC have the money to keep the Nats and Caps and also bring the Commanders back?

The Commanders are in Landover, Maryland. Given that their team facilities and headquarters are in Northern VA, it makes much more sense for them to move than for the Capitals and Wizards.

On 12/13/2023 at 10:53 AM, Dynasty said:

The only convenience I see about Alexandria is that it gets the players in and out through Reagan quicker. The Downtown arena provides an arguably equal travel distance for those in Maryland and Virginia, but moreso for DC residents. I don't know where most of Capitals and Wizards fans are within the DMV (despite being a resident of the area myself), but it would be a big disservice to the Maryland population north/east of the city. The Beltway sucks. You can't make them take the Beltway.

My understanding has always been Wizards on the Maryland side, Capitals on the Northern Virginia side, which would track with the black/Jewish core most NBA fanbases have

• Eyeroll 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Virginia deal isn't even a done deal anyways.  Still have to get the state assembly to sign off on it and there's a chance that if this goes to a public vote, the NIMBYS will do everything they can to destroy this deal.  Now I read that the deal has to also pass the Alexandria City Council, but that seems very likely to pass with them since everyone on the Alexandria City Council was in attendance at the press conference.  This could all collapse within a matter of months.  

11 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

Why don't they just leave the Wizards at Capital One Arena and move the Capitals to Virginia or vice versa if they're going to have two superfluous arenas anyway?

That doesn't really make sense, but not much about this does. Apparently the plan is to scale down Capital One but book concerts there, except concert tours would likely hit the NBA/NHL arenas in every market and not a 10,000-seater in DC. They'd also burn off some summer dates with Mystics games. Whatever. 

The other thing that doesn't make sense is that it's not even a full-on Escape To Suburbia like moving back out to Landover or out to Tysons Corners or the greater Dulles hellscape, which, by the way, arguably the most terrible, America-at-its-worst part of the entire country. No, it's just over the river to Alexandria, which is notoriously old-world and stuffy and probably kind of resistant to a giant suburban Sports Containment Zone being built on what remaining open space they have. And the arena they have now is new-ish, well-maintained, and centrally located in a metropolitan area that all but requires public transit. I'm reminded of Mr. Burns: "I'd trade it all for a little more."

On 12/16/2023 at 1:41 AM, the admiral said:

That doesn't really make sense, but not much about this does. Apparently the plan is to scale down Capital One but book concerts there, except concert tours would likely hit the NBA/NHL arenas in every market and not a 10,000-seater in DC. They'd also burn off some summer dates with Mystics games. Whatever. 

The other thing that doesn't make sense is that it's not even a full-on Escape To Suburbia like moving back out to Landover or out to Tysons Corners or the greater Dulles hellscape, which, by the way, arguably the most terrible, America-at-its-worst part of the entire country. No, it's just over the river to Alexandria, which is notoriously old-world and stuffy and probably kind of resistant to a giant suburban Sports Containment Zone being built on what remaining open space they have. And the arena they have now is new-ish, well-maintained, and centrally located in a metropolitan area that all but requires public transit. I'm reminded of Mr. Burns: "I'd trade it all for a little more."

Yeah that's what I'm saying is that if they're going to operate the two arenas anyway, they might as well have a team playing in each. Heck, the Wizards and Capitals could alternate years on each side of the river.

It would make far more sense to not move at all or to get rid of Capital One Arena if they leave it. But I think the one team in each would make more sense than what they're proposing.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

• 2 weeks later...

Wellp, this could get interesting...

Lawsuit alleges Kraken violated Metropolitans trademark with Winter Classic jerseys

Not exactly a security guard vs Baltimore Ravens type scenario—this is more like, according to the story, an Entrepreur Who Holds IP on Defunct Hometown Team And Sells Merch Using That IP vs Brand New Top-level Team In Same Town Who Made Friendly With Then [Allegedly] Lowballed Said IP Holder on Merchandiging Rights type scenario.

This might actually be worse, if any of these allegations are proven true through due process. But I ain't the lawyer up in here, just the herald delivering the news as it ran across my in-phone feed earlier today...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 12/29/2023 at 1:56 PM, tBBP said:

Wellp, this could get interesting...

Lawsuit alleges Kraken violated Metropolitans trademark with Winter Classic jerseys

Not exactly a security guard vs Baltimore Ravens type scenario—this is more like, according to the story, an Entrepreur Who Holds IP on Defunct Hometown Team And Sells Merch Using That IP vs Brand New Top-level Team In Same Town Who Made Friendly With Then [Allegedly] Lowballed Said IP Holder on Merchandiging Rights type scenario.

This might actually be worse, if any of these allegations are proven true through due process. But I ain't the lawyer up in here, just the herald delivering the news as it ran across my in-phone feed earlier today...

I feel like the Kraken would’ve had lawyers sign off on the jerseys before putting them into production. They seemed to stray just far enough away from the Metropolitans jersey to keep everything kosher. The S shape is based on their primary logo, it says KRAKEN instead of SEATTLE, and they used their normal colour scheme. 

• Like 2

On 12/29/2023 at 10:56 AM, tBBP said:

The guy paid for the Metropolitans trademarks in anticipation Seattle would get an NHL team. He's been selling Metropolitans merchandise ever since and has been doing pretty well. He has no connection to anyone involved with the original Metros and is mostly an opportunist being opportunistic.

I'm pretty sure Seattle would win any lawsuit anyway. The Kraken S is similar to the Metro's logo, but there are enough differences I'd imagine it could stand on its own.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Seattle Washington (INDEPENDENT) Hockey Team

Yeah, I think the design is fine, and even if it's not, who cares? I have no respect for someone squatting on someone else's intellectual property from 100 years ago.

• LOL 1