Grand Rapids Griffins announce new logo

zigzag

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think having a giant griffin destroying Grand Rapids is a pretty cool idea...

"We agree." --people suckered in by Amway

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And here I was expecting something really bad, like original Phoenix Coyotes bad, but this has a special charm that people are missing. I think having a giant griffin destroying Grand Rapids is a pretty cool idea...

If the execution of that idea didn't look like a bad high school art student's project, sure. But I just can't fathom looking at these two side by side and deciding that the new one is better.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

If the execution of that idea didn't look like a bad high school art student's project, sure. But I just can't fathom looking at these two side by side and deciding that the new one is better.

This. There aren't enough likes for this.

I get that there are some people who didn't like the old logo and like the new one. But it's pretty clear they're a minority. I have no idea how enough people in the Griffins offices said, "You know what, that new logo is really way better than the other one. We should replace it. Oh, squirrel!" (At least I imagine that's how the conversation ended.)

I HATED the old logo, and adore the new one. The jerseys aren't quite that good though. Thank God the old logo is long gone now, because it was garbage.

giphy.gif

The new logo looks like he's shrieking in pain after being shot in the back.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

The old logo's no prize itself, I like the concept for this one far better. That being said, the execution of this is ridiculously poor. The "wings" look tacked on, the arms/paws have strange proportions, the body looks bloated and cuts off oddly, the wordmark outline is unbalanced on the right side, and the city just looks thrown in. The head and the wordmark itself are the only competently-done parts of this logo.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

The old logo's no prize itself, I like the concept for this one far better. That being said, the execution of this is ridiculously poor. The "wings" look tacked on, the arms/paws have strange proportions, the body looks bloated and cuts off oddly, the wordmark outline is unbalanced on the right side, and the city just looks thrown in. The head and the wordmark itself are the only competently-done parts of this logo.

Couldn't disagree more. A wordmark this warped (it appears to be concave based on the red backdrop) does not necessitate that grey shadowing effect.

And can anyone explain to me wtf is going on with that wing?

Midway.png

Astonishingly bad.

Most curious to me is this is not a team unfamiliar with what good or at least better work looks like. IF you take all the fan submitted one-offs that they've accumulated and then actually worn? You have at least 3 better options right there. Including one designed by Fraser F'ing Davidson. Right? So......holy cow. Call somebody guys; somebody already in your rolodex. There's no justification for this. NONE.

Like a freight train with stickum

Why not this, Grand Rapids? WHY NOT THIS?

3a4cpdafwnhivgf26wbjwsq59.gif

y02egz2pebobjeph22ve34hwk.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Oh my god.... it's.. it's ... It's GRIFFINZILLA!! Run!!!

In all seriousness, it's not a great logo, but somebody thought it would be a good logo. That's alright... Iowa will still beat them. ;)

Oh my god.... it's.. it's ... It's GRIFFINZILLA!! Run!!!

Can we assume Griffzilla is there to protect Grand Rapids rather than destroy it?

Anyway, you could write a book about what's all wrong with this, but beyond all the design flaws of this new logo, at the very least the previous full-bodied version of the griffin captured all the characteristics that make a griffin a griffin. This covers most of the lion half so we're left with a muscular-looking eagle. I'm just glad the Milwaukee Admirals got it right and went with Studio Simon so they didn't end up with something like this.

Archived