Sign in to follow this  
zigzag

Grand Rapids Griffins announce new logo

Oh my goodness this is so awful. Good god.

I think having a giant griffin destroying Grand Rapids is a pretty cool idea...

"We agree." --people suckered in by Amway

I HATED the old logo, and adore the new one. The jerseys aren't quite that good though. Thank God the old logo is long gone now, because it was garbage.

Cocaine's a hell of a drug, man.
I'm Tigers6884, bitch!

e1JmeX9.jpg

And here I was expecting something really bad, like original Phoenix Coyotes bad, but this has a special charm that people are missing. I think having a giant griffin destroying Grand Rapids is a pretty cool idea...

If the execution of that idea didn't look like a bad high school art student's project, sure. But I just can't fathom looking at these two side by side and deciding that the new one is better.

If the execution of that idea didn't look like a bad high school art student's project, sure. But I just can't fathom looking at these two side by side and deciding that the new one is better.

This. There aren't enough likes for this.

I get that there are some people who didn't like the old logo and like the new one. But it's pretty clear they're a minority. I have no idea how enough people in the Griffins offices said, "You know what, that new logo is really way better than the other one. We should replace it. Oh, squirrel!" (At least I imagine that's how the conversation ended.)

I HATED the old logo, and adore the new one. The jerseys aren't quite that good though. Thank God the old logo is long gone now, because it was garbage.

giphy.gif

The new logo looks like he's shrieking in pain after being shot in the back.

I really didn't like the old logo, but the new one is somehow a major downgrade. At least the old one was competently executed.

The old logo's no prize itself, I like the concept for this one far better. That being said, the execution of this is ridiculously poor. The "wings" look tacked on, the arms/paws have strange proportions, the body looks bloated and cuts off oddly, the wordmark outline is unbalanced on the right side, and the city just looks thrown in. The head and the wordmark itself are the only competently-done parts of this logo.

The old logo's no prize itself, I like the concept for this one far better. That being said, the execution of this is ridiculously poor. The "wings" look tacked on, the arms/paws have strange proportions, the body looks bloated and cuts off oddly, the wordmark outline is unbalanced on the right side, and the city just looks thrown in. The head and the wordmark itself are the only competently-done parts of this logo.

Couldn't disagree more. A wordmark this warped (it appears to be concave based on the red backdrop) does not necessitate that grey shadowing effect.

And can anyone explain to me wtf is going on with that wing?

Astonishingly bad.

Most curious to me is this is not a team unfamiliar with what good or at least better work looks like. IF you take all the fan submitted one-offs that they've accumulated and then actually worn? You have at least 3 better options right there. Including one designed by Fraser F'ing Davidson. Right? So......holy cow. Call somebody guys; somebody already in your rolodex. There's no justification for this. NONE.

Why not this, Grand Rapids? WHY NOT THIS?

3a4cpdafwnhivgf26wbjwsq59.gif

y02egz2pebobjeph22ve34hwk.gif

Oh my god.... it's.. it's ... It's GRIFFINZILLA!! Run!!!

In all seriousness, it's not a great logo, but somebody thought it would be a good logo. That's alright... Iowa will still beat them. ;)

Everyone here in Grand Rapids hates the new logo and uniforms.

It looks like something a Harry Potter nerd would doodle on the cover of their notebook. Straight awful.

The old one was, at the very least, technically sound.

Near-universally derided here, 4.2 rating on the mothersite... 75% approval rating on Winging it in Motown.

Oh my god.... it's.. it's ... It's GRIFFINZILLA!! Run!!!

Can we assume Griffzilla is there to protect Grand Rapids rather than destroy it?

Anyway, you could write a book about what's all wrong with this, but beyond all the design flaws of this new logo, at the very least the previous full-bodied version of the griffin captured all the characteristics that make a griffin a griffin. This covers most of the lion half so we're left with a muscular-looking eagle. I'm just glad the Milwaukee Admirals got it right and went with Studio Simon so they didn't end up with something like this.

Why not this, Grand Rapids? WHY NOT THIS?

3a4cpdafwnhivgf26wbjwsq59.gif

y02egz2pebobjeph22ve34hwk.gif

The Red Wings inspired logo with the GR city mark is AMAZING.

OHHHH that's what that is. I thought it was a Quidditch Snitch.