MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the logo...I'm surprised by how restrained it is, as we heard it was going to be "colorful" and most of us feared the worst.  One detail that I don't really like:  The points of the M are higher than every other "lower case" letter.  I get that it's supposed to emphasize the hat logo, but it still looks awkward.   And it'd be so much better if the Marlins' batterman (on all jerseys and hats) was blue and orange instead of black and orange.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I like the logo...I'm surprised by how restrained it is, as we heard it was going to be "colorful" and most of us feared the worst.  One detail that I don't really like:  The points of the M are higher than every other "lower case" letter.  I get that it's supposed to emphasize the hat logo, but it still looks awkward.   And it'd be so much better if the Marlins' batterman (on all jerseys and hats) was blue and orange instead of black and orange.

Also, why does the first A come to a peak at the top, but the second and third A's flatten off? Strange. 

spacer.png

26 minutes ago, dsaline97 said:

Also, why does the first A come to a peak at the top, but the second and third A's flatten off? Strange. 

Because the first A is a capital letter and the second and third A represents lower case letters. 

New York Mets & New York Jets

2 hours ago, The Fonz said:

Because the first A is a capital letter and the second and third A represents lower case letters. 

I understand that, but it still seems to be inconsistent. Especially with the capital-style M. 

spacer.png

4 hours ago, dsaline97 said:

Using a star in the All STAR Game? What an unoriginal idea! No one should ever be allowed to do that!

I wasn't complaining or saying it was unoriginal. Also, it's more than just the star that is similar. The words through the center, the small star between the words All and Star, the way the lowercase letters are actually small capital letters, the way an element of their cap logo is used at top point of the star, and the placement of the batterman logo. I was only pointing those elements out, not criticizing them.

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

And it'd be so much better if the Marlins' batterman (on all jerseys and hats) was blue and orange instead of black and orange.

Did you know that this did exist briefly? The first "batch" of their (rarely ever worn) alternate red orange caps had the batterman logo in blue and orange. It wasn't long before it was switched to the black and orange batterman to match their other caps and jerseys and the blue and orange one never made it to game use. This was in November 2011 and they probably didn't even get into January 2012 before the logo was switched. I own one of these rare caps as I bought it the weekend of the rebranding.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Did you know that this did exist briefly? The first "batch" of their (rarely ever worn) alternate red orange caps had the batterman logo in blue and orange. It wasn't long before it was switched to the black and orange batterman to match their other caps and jerseys and the blue and orange one never made it to game use. This was in November 2011 and they probably didn't even get into January 2012 before the logo was switched. I own one of these rare caps as I bought it the weekend of the rebranding.

I bought an orange cap in November 2011. I'll have to take a look. Never really noticed it.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

18 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Cool - can you post a pic?

I bought my orange hat the night it was released at the stadium, I'll check/post a pic when I get home. Never really noticed. 

True2OB.png

If Tubby34 is still around, he had a picture of his orange/blue batterman Marlins hat too.  Some might say "Sounds like the Mets" but the Marlins' blue is pretty different.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just because I'm not at home now, here's an image I found online showing the two batterman logos for the Marlins, the one on the left is the blue and orange one but the lighting is way too dark and it kinda looks like a royal blue. In person it's definitely a brighter blue and its unique to baseball. I tell people the Marlins "ocean" blue is lighter than royal blue but not as light/pale as baby/powder blue. It is a beautiful color that I'm sure the Marlins will use more over time. It shows up on so much of their merchandise and media but has yet to be increased in it's usage on the uniform where it is only a trim color on the logos and on the numbers and wordmark of only one of their jerseys.

122jkh3.jpg

I love the Marlins light blue color and the red-orange hat. But I still hate their logo/wordmark and emphasis on black.

They should be teal/cyan/light blue/whatever and red-orange with black trim. They can keep the black alternate if they must and even wear the black hat on the road if they want but the other colors need to be emphasized more and the home caps should be either the orange or blue with the other being a Sunday/day game alt or something.

The blue "boyz ii men" jersey is beautiful.

Bqrx8kVCIAAdYpw.jpg

I know some people hate multiple alternates but I'd be perfectly fine with.

Orange Hat/undershirts at home.

Black Hat/undershirts on road.

Black Alt (Road Only, pitchers choice/whatever)

Blue Hat/Alt/Undershirts (Sundays at home)

Orange Alt (Day games/Fridays/whatever)

They could even occassionally whip the blue stuff with the white jerseys if they want.

If I had to get rid of one I'd get rid of the black alternate of course, but even in the little fantasy island I was just living on I was trying not to be too naive.

I don't know why the Marlins didn't just become a White Sox ripoff of black and gray/silver. They did that with the Florida Marlins at the end and they are slowly deemphasizing orange. They had a beautiful color scheme in the beginning and even the rebranding was initially pretty good. It seems to me that management is hell bent on having no real color.

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

They should be teal/cyan/light blue/whatever and red-orange with black trim. They can keep the black alternate if they must and even wear the black hat on the road if they want but the other colors need to be emphasized more and the home caps should be either the orange or blue with the other being a Sunday/day game alt or something.

The blue "boyz ii men" jersey is beautiful.

Bqrx8kVCIAAdYpw.jpg

tumblr_mi1mc5jkQd1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

What a blown opportunity.

That shade of blue is fantastic.  ONly change I'd make (would need to see it first, obv) is make the ARLINS the same colors as the M.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived