MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

On 3/26/2016 at 0:54 AM, Purple said:

The Royals visited the White House today and met the President. Interestingly enough, they presented him with a gold-numbered jersey that they started wearing on occasion this season instead of a jersey from last season. I don't know if there is a prescient for this or not?

636047064156400571-USATSI-9394615.jpg

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ohryan said:
On 3/25/2016 at 9:54 PM, Purple said:

The Royals visited the White House today and met the President. Interestingly enough, they presented him with a gold-numbered jersey that they started wearing on occasion this season instead of a jersey from last season. I don't know if there is a prescient for this or not?

636047064156400571-USATSI-9394615.jpg

So I guess this means they're setting the gold standard

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

5 hours ago, WavePunter said:

No prescient for this.. Not sure about a precedent either..

i didn't see it coming, personally. i assumed it'd be a standard game jersey.

21 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I'm holding out hope they just go back to these:

what.jpg

f90fcdbb7b0311d7398a1e55c3215a88.jpg

If they'd never adopted the pullovers, or even if in 93 they'd gone back to these after the pullovers they'd be untouchable on the level of the Dodgers or Cardinals.

What they wear now is fine, but they're getting dated and stale. The old-timey font feels a little too "1800's Baseball Theme Park" for my liking anymore. I think either an update to the uniforms picture above or a buttoned up version of the 1990 uniforms would be perfect. Also, they need to drop black as soon as possible. 

I'm not sure how you felt being a Reds fan, but I loved the pinstriped home uniforms and caps in the mid 90s (before they added the black). I had that pinstriped white cap in junior high and it has become somewhat of a whale for me.

2 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

I'm not sure how you felt being a Reds fan, but I loved the pinstriped home uniforms and caps in the mid 90s (before they added the black). I had that pinstriped white cap in junior high and it has become somewhat of a whale for me.

The pinstripe hat was a little busy.  I had that hat in little league and never grew fond of it.  The lines rarely matched up on the panels, making it look like a mess.   

larkin-gant.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

With this special throwback day created on the spur of a moment, anyone think that a mandated throwback weekend should happen every year.

I suggest oen of two periods, maybe both...

- The Friday thru Sunday after All Star Game

- The Friday thru Sunday of Hall of Fame weekend

Even if it's a fauxback for the newer squads, something should be done.

the Friday through Sunday of Hall of Fame weekend would be amazing. Then they could really put out some old time rivalries and have the jerseys to match.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The pinstripe hat was a little busy.  I had that hat in little league and never grew fond of it.  The lines rarely matched up on the panels, making it look like a mess.   

Agreed. It's a nice uniform with the traditional red hat.  But I am not fond of white hats with or without pinstripes.

Of course, I agree with so many who said that the Reds may be one of the biggest tragedies of the pullover/sansabelt era.  If they'd kept the great look from before then maybe (hopefully) they'd have been looked at as untouchable classics.  Of course using only one color, it's a real possibility they'd have added black at some point anyway.

Too bad they did not just go back to what worked like the Red Sox did.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

larkin-gant.jpg

Yeah that's basically how I feel. It was just too much white when they were playing in the field. The uniforms looked pretty good when they were batting because they wore red helmets, presumably because a white helmet version of the hat with pinstripes would've looked goofy. 

barry-larkin-of-the-cincinnati-reds-look

The white hats also aged really poorly, and didn't particularly look good on fans in the stands. I think this is why they only lasted 6 seasons. The other problem with the home whites was they inverted the Creds logo. I prefer it like this

I really liked the road set, though for a few years they inexplicably put the number on the right side and that always looked bad. 

cincinnati-reds-jeff-branson-barry-larki

PvO6ZWJ.png

This might be sacrilegious for the REDS, but I think the 99-06 uniforms looked their best in 1999 when the team got on a roll wearing black hats and undershirts home and road and then stuck with it the entire season. 

21122g_lg.jpegreds-catcher-eddie-taubensee-celebrates-

In the subsequent years they wore the black undershirts, but baseball made them wear the red hats/helmets and that looked awful. 

072400larkinap.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

32 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Huh.  Looking back at the article about all the throwbacks worn, and it didn't really click until this moment that the Reds and Braves threw back to two wildly different eras.  That's weird.  Have any teams done that in the past?

Mets and Marlins wore throwbacks in 2002. Mets wore their 1986 jerseys. The Marlins wore jerseys from the original Miami Marlins team who a minor league team from the Late-50's. 

Marlins-Mets_2B1.png

Marlins-Mets_2B2.png

XM4KeeA.png

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Huh.  Looking back at the article about all the throwbacks worn, and it didn't really click until this moment that the Reds and Braves threw back to two wildly different eras.  That's weird.  Have any teams done that in the past?

It happens more often than you would think.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

30 minutes ago, insert name said:

Mets and Marlins wore throwbacks in 2002. Mets wore their 1986 jerseys. The Marlins wore jerseys from the original Miami Marlins team who a minor league team from the Late-50's. 

Marlins-Mets_2B1.png

Marlins-Mets_2B2.png

Huh.  They went with throwbacks that were the same colors as their opponent.  I suppose this happens extremely often, but when it's such a unique color scheme it really stands out as weird.

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

It happens more often than you would think.  

Really?  I could understand the couple of years difference that some teams featured this last Wednesday, but more than a decades difference?  I'd think unless one team is throwing back and the other isn't, people would plan it out so that they're less than the 30-year difference the Reds and Braves featured.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was just wondering if anyone know where to get some of these throwback jerseys(retail). I wanted the gray 1986 Mets one but the Majestic site doesn't have it and I called the store at Citi Field and they informed me they wouldn't be carrying it. It's strange how some of the jerseys are available and some are not. I know most of you already know but Majestic is having a major sale on Authentic cool base jerseys. Thanks for any help on that Mets jersey.

12 hours ago, 14er said:

The Reds are wearing their red alternate for a night game right now. No idea why. I can't recall them ever doing this before this before. 

I can't remember them ever doing it before either and there was no mention as to why. They've followed the white jerseys = home night, red jerseys = home day very strictly. 

I hope they don't become a team who wears their alternate whenever they feel like it. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived