Teams named for Brands

nash61

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't confirm as fast, but I believe the New Jersey Red Dogs of the Arena Football League were named after Red Dog Beer.

The Detroit Pistons began as the Zollner Pistons (later the Fort Wayne Zollnet Pistons). Original owner Fred Zollner had a company that made automobile pistons. So, their product was a Zollner Piston.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Do the Kentucky Colonels count? Referred to the famous colonel, and the owner of KFC owned the team for a period of their existence.

Was he the original owner? I thought they were named after the curious Kentucky social group.
Looks like he wasn't the original owner. He was owner #2. Had never heard of the social group.

It's pretty trippy.

From Wiki --

The Detroit Safari (originally founded as the Detroit Neon) was a member of the Continental Indoor Soccer League that played at The Palace of Auburn Hills.[1] Their owners, the Palace Sports Group were awarded a franchise on November 4, 1993. Their star player and unofficial coach (the CISL prohibited player-coaches) was experienced indoor player Andy Chapman.[2]

The name Detroit Neon was a reference to the Dodge Neon and came from a sponsorship from the Chrysler Corporation like fellow Palace Sports team the IHL Detroit Vipers. In 1997 the naming rights were sold toGeneral Motors and they were named after the GMC Safari minivan.[3]The team folded along with the closing of the Continental Indoor Soccer League after the 1997 season.[4]

Team logo --

cisldetneon.gif

Car logo --

vinyl-decal-sticker-1050.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The Decatur Staleys were named after the A. E. Staley Manufacturing Corporation in Decatur, IL. The team later moved to Chicago and changed their name to the Chicago Bears.

Since the Bears took the inspiration from their name from the Cubs, one could argue that they're still kind of named after a business.

I can't confirm as fast, but I believe the New Jersey Red Dogs of the Arena Football League were named after Red Dog Beer.

This is correct. While the Miller Brewing Company (makers of Red Dog beer) were not the owners of the New Jersey Red Dogs, they were a major sponsor. A New York Times story from early 1997 makes mention of the use of the name in connection with the Miller sponsorship.

That name was convenient, because "red dog" was already a football term. Still, when the Miller sponsorship ended and the team was sold, the nickname was dropped and the team became the New Jersey Gladiators (later the Las Vegas Gladiators, now the Cleveland Gladiators).

A less graceful occurrence happened in the original NASL, in which a Lipton-owned team was called the New England Tea Men. This was a little weird, because "tea men" was not an existing phrase in soccer or anywhere else in the the English language. Furthemore, what was used as the team's name was neither the company name "Lipton" nor any brand name, but the product name "tea", evidently in a strained effort to invoke the Boston Tea Party. (The logo was a ship.)

But even this connection was lost when the team moved to Jacksonville, Florida, and became the Jacksonville Tea Men, with the same logo. Usually I am in favour of a team keeping its name and logo upon a move; but in this case that was ridiculous.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

The Oshawa Generals are named for General Motors who have their Canadian manufacturing facilities in town. At one point their jerseys said GM right on them.

Lou_Jankowski_Oshawa_Generals.jpg

Do the Kentucky Colonels count? Referred to the famous colonel, and the owner of KFC owned the team for a period of their existence.

Was he the original owner? I thought they were named after the curious Kentucky social group.

The Flint Generals have a similar relationship with Oshawa, though I don't think they ever used the GM logo or ownership.

As for the Colonels, it's was a traditional name for Louisville clubs, having been used by baseball teams there for nearly a century.

A USHL ownership group I was associated with explored Louisville with some interest, going so far as to have some concepts developed for a team. My suggestion was to give the Colonels name a promotion and call them the Generals. I still have the commissioned concepts from Keith Flynn.

This is correct. While the Miller Brewing Company (makers of Red Dog beer) were not the owners of the New Jersey Red Dogs, they were a major sponsor. A New York Times story from early 1997 makes mention of the use of the name in connection with the Miller sponsorship.

That name was convenient, because "red dog" was already a football term. Still, when the Miller sponsorship ended and the team was sold, the nickname was dropped and the team became the New Jersey Gladiators (later the Las Vegas Gladiators, now the Cleveland Gladiators).

A less graceful occurrence happened in the original NASL, in which a Lipton-owned team was called the New England Tea Men. This was a little weird, because "tea men" was not an existing phrase in soccer or anywhere else in the the English language. Furthemore, what was used as the team's name was neither the company name "Lipton" nor any brand name, but the product name "tea", evidently in a strained effort to invoke the Boston Tea Party. (The logo was a ship.)

But even this connection was lost when the team moved to Jacksonville, Florida, and became the Jacksonville Tea Men, with the same logo. Usually I am in favour of a team keeping its name and logo upon a move; but in this case that was ridiculous.

Their clipper logo puts the LA Clippers - Clip-Art-ers - logo to shame!

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

IHL Muskegon Zephyrs come to mind. Their logo is the same as that for the chain of gas stations.

Forgot about the ABA Denver Rockets - *facepalm*

Not sure we can count the National Industrial Basketball League or not. With company sponsored teams like the Akron Goodyears, Bartlesville Phillips 66s, Peoria Caterpillars, and Wichita Vickers.

a good chunk of NPB teams have their owners names(companies, not individuals) in them.

The same can be said of the teams in the KBO in Korea as well.

Same for the PBA in the Philippines... They're all brand names

Thanks for saying that. The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) team names are based from brands. Even the defunct basketball league Manila Industrial and Commercial Athletic Association (MICAA) and PBA Developmental League (D-League) have team names that are brand-based. The most famous PBA team, Barangay Ginebra San Miguel, is based from a gin named Ginebra San Miguel, while the PBA team with the most number of championships (21), San Miguel Beermen, as the name implies, is based from San Miguel beer. These two sister teams consist one of the greatest rivalries in Philippine basketball.

I guess it's technically true, maybe, but the "similarity" is superficial at best.

If Orca Bay used anything like a Haida-style orca, or the Canucks used either a more realistic orca or a group of orcas, then I'd agree wholeheartedly. But I don't think anyone is going to see the Canucks logo and think about the parent company.

I'd love to hear from the designer, if the animal was specifically chosen as a deliberate reference to the owners or because of its connection with the region.

Continuing with the Arena League, there's a team named after the band KISS for some insane reason.

"Owned by the band" may be a stupid reason, but it's not really an insane one.

Archived