2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

The foot is such a terrible logo. Bring back the Duck mask already and call it a day.

It's really not, and I certainly don't think the duck mask is any better. 

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

54 minutes ago, hockey week said:

It's really not, and I certainly don't think the duck mask is any better. 

I agree...

But I'm also tired of this discussion, as it's just going in circles... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

18 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

Yup, they look exactly like the Lightning...

ea_zpsd4tmvlaz.jpg

from NHL17 trailer

Blech.  If the Lightning win a cup in their current look, these teams will never look different from each other again.

12 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Seeing the "duck-print" in eggplant and jade makes the current logo look like a masterpiece.  It just isn't working in those colours.

Yeah...I know it doesn't get a lot of love around here, but tweaking the colors on the webbed-D made me realize that the current colors are about as optimal as anyone is likely to get. 

2 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

It's been going in circles for about ten years now...

As it has every time the topic is brought up.

20 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Seeing the "duck-print" in eggplant and jade makes the current logo look like a masterpiece.  It just isn't working in those colours.

The main portion of the logo needs to be a light colour for it to work. Preferably something close to an actual duck foot, which the current gold barely manages. In this case eggplant and jade don't really fit the bill (well, foot) and it feels forced whenever I see this application. The yellow kind of works, but it was only an accent on the duck mask and seeing it so dominant on the primary logo would be jarring, unless yellow was added to the old palette and worked into the striping which isn't really ideal.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

2 hours ago, hockey week said:

If it has to be a light color, preferably one in the old color scheme, what about gray/silver for the duck foot?

Actually, there was a concept that was posted here once, taking inspiration from the old Anaheim script third and simplifying the colour scheme to purple, black, and white. The logo had the duck foot in white, and that looked quite sharp. I'd be all for that direction.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

4 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

The main portion of the logo needs to be a light colour for it to work. Preferably something close to an actual duck foot, which the current gold barely manages. In this case eggplant and jade don't really fit the bill (well, foot) and it feels forced whenever I see this application. The yellow kind of works, but it was only an accent on the duck mask and seeing it so dominant on the primary logo would be jarring, unless yellow was added to the old palette and worked into the striping which isn't really ideal.

Agreed. While the gold used in the current logo isn't great (its too dark IMO), I felt compelled to include it in my mockup in an attempt to bridge their current and past looks. However, I'm not convinced that eggplant and jade can't work in the design. After looking at the webbed D for a while I've come to the conclusion that its just too busy. For a seemingly "simple" design the webbed-D uses five colors ( ! ) without any clear reasoning behind their usage. Why is orange relegated to a single accent stripe? Why is there silver for the exterior border but white for the border around the D?

In light of this observation I thought I'd take another stab at my original mockup. I scrapped the black, white, and silver/grey and focused entirely on the eggplant, jade, and gold color palette. The end result reminds me very much of the old Arizona Diamondbacks...and I kinda like it. As a bonus I made a second version that swapped out the gold for a burnt orange. I'm not as satisfied with this color scheme, but I think it could be an interesting direction.

Webbed-D_Remix.png

Archived