2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hockey week said:

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=888859

Details on the Leafs centennial season, including the logo, which will sadly only be used as a helmet sticker.

2016-17-LEAFS-100th-ANNIVERSARY-LOGO.jpg

They are also going to wear a St. Pats throwback on March 18...it's baaaaack....finally!

Lots of great stuff happening. I'm assuming that pulling the trigger on the 100th celebration a season early is so they can enjoy it without overlapping the NHL's 100th celebrations/events.

Or are they celebrating the 100th "season" (since the league counts 04-05), rather than the team's 100th anniversary?

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

6 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Its a great dynamic design. Doesn't look poorly rendered at all. And yes a Ducks foot in the shape of a D is just as clever as that hidden "H" between the whales tail and "W" from the old Whalers logo or the "MB" in the shape of a baseball glove for the old Brewers logo.

No, it's not.  Because it's not nearly as creative or well-rendered as those others are (in fairness, it's easier when you have multiple letters in the monogram).

6 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Its a great dynamic design. Doesn't look poorly rendered at all. And yes a Ducks foot in the shape of a D is just as clever as that hidden "H" between the whales tail and "W" from the old Whalers logo or the "MB" in the shape of a baseball glove for the old Brewers logo.

No, it's not.  Because it's not nearly as creative or well-rendered as those others are (in fairness, it's easier when you have multiple letters in the monogram...

TOUCHE!!! Come on, the Hartford Whalers is an all-time classic and the Ducks D is maybe the 16th or 17th best logo in the NHL...

22 minutes ago, NeverSayNever said:

TOUCHE!!! Come on, the Hartford Whalers is an all-time classic and the Ducks D is maybe the 16th or 17th best logo in the NHL...

I definitely agree that the Ducks D-foot is nowhere near the Whalers, but I just don't understand the hate for it... It's a good logo. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

8 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I definitely agree that the Ducks D-foot is nowhere near the Whalers, but I just don't understand the hate for it... It's a good logo. 

It is. It's a good logo. It's not great, it's not amazing, nobody is going to have a massive revelation about it years from now saying "It's a duck foot!" like they might with the Whalers cut out H, the Brewers' glove being an m and b, or the Wild's logo being a bearcat head, but it also gets the job done respectfully. 

The team name is the Ducks. Ducks. Doesn't exactly strike fear. It's almost more of a baseball name with how tame it is. But it's not so abstract that you can get away with a wordmark only. It's a tangible thing. It's a bit of a struggle for a major league organization to straddle the line of a logo you have respect for, that you're proud to wear, that looks good, and conveys your identity (which is much more important than it was in the early days of the league), and is cool enough to sell merchandise. Considering the name, I think the team did a great job coming up with their logo. 

It's not going to set the world on fire, but it checks all the above-mentioned boxes, and that's enough. It would grow on everybody, just like Winnipeg's, if it weren't for that damned Mighty Ducks logo in its rear-view mirror.

Disney went the opposite direction, made a super cartoony logo, based a cartoon after it, and refused to take suggestions from anybody. They made themselves a unique niche in pro sports, and everyone made fun of them (there's a joke about it in Space Jam!), and they went with "all press is good press". Now you have a lot of nostalgia for that logo as kids who grew up with the team and the movies are the ones buying merch now, and demanding Mighty Ducks merchandise, and the franchise is caving, because money. So the old logo is making a huge comeback, and it's going to displace the current logo before it has any change to actually get a good hold.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

8 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

In 2006; sentiment towards the standalone "Duck-print" peaked at passable...  Now it's in the class of, arguably, one of the greatest hockey logos in history :rolleyes:.  The logo hardly resembles a "D."  Hell, it barely resembles a duck-foot...

Sorry I passed out..

Did someone just compare the Ducks "D" foot logo to the MIGHTY WHALE from HARTFORD!? 

I just can't....won't. I'm out. I Quit

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

23 hours ago, hockey week said:

It's not going to set the world on fire, but it checks all the above-mentioned boxes, and that's enough. It would grow on everybody, just like Winnipeg's, if it weren't for that damned Mighty Ducks logo in its rear-view mirror.

Disney went the opposite direction, made a super cartoony logo, based a cartoon after it, and refused to take suggestions from anybody. They made themselves a unique niche in pro sports, and everyone made fun of them (there's a joke about it in Space Jam!), and they went with "all press is good press". Now you have a lot of nostalgia for that logo as kids who grew up with the team and the movies are the ones buying merch now, and demanding Mighty Ducks merchandise, and the franchise is caving, because money. So the old logo is making a huge comeback, and it's going to displace the current logo before it has any change to actually get a good hold.

Yeah, Winnipeg's logo grew on people because it was probably the only logo in their history that didn't look slapped together/fit with the rest of the logos in the league:

xpnaasvhr3xaabg4knz278a8d.gifdhhc15gfgtog1qo5b5uwpz8h0.gifz9qyy9xqoxfjn0njxgzoy2rwk.gif

It grew on people because the alternatives were so devoid of personality. The Ducks, on the other hand, had a logo with personality and one that fit with the standards of NHL logos. Sure, it's cartoony, but it made a connection with the fanbase that the current logo couldn't. That is not a problem of the webbed foot D, but rather a problem with how the Ducks handled it. The fans couldn't connect with the webbed foot D (despite it being on the Cup-winning uniforms) because it wasn't the central part of those uniforms (as you mentioned), because it was paired with an ugly color scheme (green/orange/metallic gold would have looked better), and because an alternative that had personality and some success paired with it (more than the inaugural Sharks logo had, and people here love that thing for some reason) was waiting in the wings. I don't necessarily think that the Mighty Ducks logos/colors are better, but rather that there were factors in place that assured that the webbed foot D would never be accepted the same way the Mighty Ducks were embraced.

The webbed foot D has grown on me a bit, but I'd still prefer an ornithologically-correct Duck logo (although not one of the rejected ones presented here) that could convey speed and a bit of toughness in dark green/orange/metallic gold. The webbed foot D, like the Stick-in-Rink or the Sharks' fin logo, really would work best as a shoulder patch.

Some thoughts:

• Florida's new look is alright. It's not great by any stretch of the imagination, and the military pandering is silly, but I can live with it. I'm also a fan of having TV numbers on the shoulders and putting logos on the sleeves. Granted, I wouldn't want that to become "the norm", but I think it works in this case.
  • Pittsburgh will look spectacular next year.
  • The Leafs' uniforms are disappointing, but they're still good. As far as looking too much like the Lightning, why should the Leafs give a damn about "infringing" on Tampa's look? Although I wish they hadn't gone with the single waist stripe, they're well within their right to do so. If Florida's new road featured a blue chest stripe outlined in red, and then the Habs decided to switch back to this in a few years, would it be fair to blame the Habs? If a team wishes to borrow elements from their history they should be able to, irrespective of whatever looks modern copycats have adopted.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Winnipeg, because the team left, got a lot bigger clean slate. There was separation between the old Jets and new Jets, and even though the old logos were never great, any push to adopt the old logos gets some pushback. It had a little more vacuum in which to work. It's bland and wonderful, and I think it's gained a lot of quiet traction. 

Having the Mighty Ducks directly in the rearview mirror, they get no separation, they have that charming cartoony logo that doesn't get let go. Perhaps the only good that will come of this whole thing is that the "Mighty" will go away forever. Even if the old logo comes back, the Mighty should stay away.

I put the Ducks logo in this general grouping of logos:

z9qyy9xqoxfjn0njxgzoy2rwk.gif173616512014.gif1079172014.gif2xd2efir5fdew26px6kx.gif

and to a slightly lesser extent (these are the upper echelon of these, but in time I think they could be on the same plane)

50.gif32tfs723a3bes0p0hb4hgcy1u.gif

and certainly no higher than that.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Winnipeg, because the team left, got a lot bigger clean slate. There was separation between the old Jets and new Jets, and even though the old logos were never great, any push to adopt the old logos gets some pushback. It had a little more vacuum in which to work. It's bland and wonderful, and I think it's gained a lot of quiet traction.

There are still some thematic similarities that do enough to make it feel like a natural progression of the original logo. It's a circular mark. It features a jet of some description. It makes use of red, white, and blue. And again, like the original, it's kind of bland.

The old Jets look gets that pushback maybe more because it's associated with the original franchise that departed. Or they just don't want to use it for whatever reason. Nothing stopped them wearing the old white jersey in the pregame warmup for Selanne's number retirement at Anaheim. I don't really think there's any reason for them not to use it, but the old Jets jerseys weren't exactly amazing. I actually prefer the current look.

Even if the old logo comes back, the Mighty should stay away.

And it probably is. Nobody's talking about bringing the old name back. They only did that (kind of, unofficially) for that one Throwback Night, and it was glorious. But that and some retro merchandise is about as far as the old name's going to get. The old logo returning as an alternate mark brings some balance to an otherwise lifeless identity. I still feel it's the stronger mark and would prefer it to take back its rightful place as the primary logo, but for now, having an excellent alternate jersey to itself is just fine.

2 hours ago, BigBubba said:

Pittsburgh will look spectacular next year.

Speaking of franchises that cave in to nostalgia and displace a current look in spite of recent success in that uniform and colour scheme, I agree. The Pittsburgh Penguns will look perfect.

On 08/07/2016 at 5:53 PM, WSU151 said:

On 08/07/2016 at 4:12 PM, NeverSayNever said:

The upper center dick crest looks like it got caught In a fox trap.

What logo are you looking at? ^_^

Actually, fun fact: in some photos of the Ducks wordmark jersey, the u would be folded in half, accidentally and awkwardly forming the word "Dicks".

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

5 hours ago, hockey week said:

Having the Mighty Ducks directly in the rearview mirror, they get no separation, they have that charming cartoony logo that doesn't get let go. Perhaps the only good that will come of this whole thing is that the "Mighty" will go away forever. Even if the old logo comes back, the Mighty should stay away.

I put the Ducks logo in this general grouping of logos:

z9qyy9xqoxfjn0njxgzoy2rwk.gif173616512014.gif1079172014.gif2xd2efir5fdew26px6kx.gif

and to a slightly lesser extent (these are the upper echelon of these, but in time I think they could be on the same plane)

50.gif32tfs723a3bes0p0hb4hgcy1u.gif

and certainly no higher than that.

The Canucks' orca doesn't belong with those other logos. Stick In Rink, yes.

Archived