2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

22 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

dBYDKYg.jpg

I don't like any of them.

Bottom left is somewhat decent but, again, too Thrashers-esque. The powder blue ain't helping.

Top left at least makes an effort to update the original identity, but the streak behind the duck looks terrible.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand the hate for the D-foot. It's a very clever logo. I get that people prefer the Mighty Ducks logo, (Which I think is only because of Nostalgia) but that doesn't mean the D-foot isn't a good logo. It's simple, it's got a hidden yet very noticeable meaning. The letter D shaped kinda like a duck's foot, for the team the Ducks! 

Think of the Canadiens logo. The letter C for a team called the Canadiens! With an H in it for Hockey! If the Habs logo is considered a great logo, even without all the history behind it, why isn't the webbed-foot D either? 

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The Ducks currently have one of the worst logos in sports, but after reading about the ridiculous restrictions they placed on the designers, it's their own fault that they have to wear that crap.

Nope... Have you seen the LA Clippers new logo? The OKC Thunder? The Miami Marlins? It's not even close... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

10 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I don't understand the hate for the D-foot. It's a very clever logo. I get that people prefer the Mighty Ducks logo, (Which I think is only because of Nostalgia) but that doesn't mean the D-foot isn't a good logo. It's simple, it's got a hidden yet very noticeable meaning. The letter D shaped kinda like a duck's foot, for the team the Ducks! 

Think of the Canadiens logo. The letter C for a team called the Canadiens! With an H in it for Hockey! If the Habs logo is considered a great logo, even without all the history behind it, why isn't the webbed-foot D either? 

A poorly illustrated Duck foot, awkwardly warped into a "D" is clever?  I think the only reason it get's praise is because the prior version, with the script, was so awful.

21 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I don't understand the hate for the D-foot. It's a very clever logo. I get that people prefer the Mighty Ducks logo, (Which I think is only because of Nostalgia)

No.

For what it's worth, some of us never wanted that logo gone to begin with. That doesn't mean I hate the D-foot. I just don't think it's anywhere near as good as the mask. What's not helping the D-foot is the bland black and gold colour scheme it's been paired with.

Actually, I did a quick palette swap with the logo. I think the main portion being orange instead of gold helps it better resemble an actual duck's foot. It's strange seeing the colours this way round, but they should really have emphasised the orange from day one. Maybe this is a marginal improvement, curious to see what everyone else thinks.

duckswap.png

mTBXgML.png

Orange & Gold are hard to play off each other.

You need to use either as little gold as possible (SF Giants do this slightly as Gold is used as very minimal trim) or use as little orange as possible.

I hate the Ducks new jerseys. They're a giant mess & I hated that 3rd jersey from day 1.

What the team should've done is kept the sweaters they had, add the Mighty Ducks oval logo to the shoulders & scrap the wordmark for the D. Instead, they made a set off a jersey I can't stand & don't get the love for at all. They're a horrible templated version of the Sabre's 90's set with yokes that aren't needed and these skinny looking numbers. The number font that was made was never supposed to be stretched out like that.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

What the team should've done is kept the sweaters they had, add the Mighty Ducks oval logo to the shoulders & scrap the wordmark for the D. Instead, they made a set off a jersey I can't stand & don't get the love for at all.

I don't think even a logo change would have been enough to salvage those uniforms, they were painfully dull. The current primary set isn't particularly good, but as a fan I'd rather have that than what they had before, at least they're interesting to look at.

mTBXgML.png

5 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Gotta disagree.

dBYDKYg.jpg

Most of these suck, but top-center and bottom-left logos are lightyears better than the one they picked. IMO, they're even better than the old duck-mask logo that everyone raves over (I've never been a fan, personally).

The Ducks currently have one of the worst logos in sports, but after reading about the ridiculous restrictions they placed on the designers, it's their own fault that they have to wear that crap.

I think that the top middle is awful, with the wings being the only good part. The bottom right has some salvageable qualities, but the shield shape and the crossed sticks are all wrong. 

I made this years ago, but I still think it's true. The webbed-D is a very fine logo, it could be just as simplistic and timeless as Winnipeg's logo (which I know also got a lot of heat on here, but boring = not trendy = never dated looking). It's a D, it's a Duck Foot, if you turn it sideways, you could even get an A out of it. It's fine. Not amazing, but just fine. But throwing the UCKS on there, and the dumb little circle, just made it so much worse, so much more forced, and the jerseys didn't do well in the switch to the Edge template. They didn't have the chutzpah to do what they needed to to do from the start. A decent alternate logo with the name on it would've worked just fine, but no. They couldn't do it.

Ducks%20D%20logo%20jerseys_zpsc0lbjsj3.j

Then the nostalgia for the Mighty Ducks logo keeps popping back up, so the logo that would inevitably grow on everybody is going to get chucked to the curb and this will be an awkward footnote in their history that vaguely explains the color scheme change.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

58 minutes ago, Kaz said:

The 80s looked great, but I think the pinnacle was the 1990-91 season.

Every team looked good - I'm not crazy about the Germany Canucks, but it isn't a bad look, just not the right one for Vancouver.

Let's all be honest, what is the right look for Vancouver? :lol: I feel like every year they have an identity crisis. 

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

1 hour ago, Kaz said:

Every team looked good - I'm not crazy about the Germany Canucks, but it isn't a bad look, just not the right one for Vancouver.

Seriously.  1991-92 Pro Set hockey cards (with 90-91 pictures) were among my favorite.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Top center is straight amateur hour, it belongs in a basement with wood panelling and a plaid couch.

Basements with paneling, wildlife illustrations, and plaid couches? Ohhhhh that's hockey, baby!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Ugh.

I consider the 1980s the golden era of NHL uniforms.  And I love the Leafs of that era.  And this does nothing for me.  

5 hours ago, Kaz said:

4 hours ago, worcat said:

Let's all be honest, what is the right look for Vancouver? :lol: I feel like every year they have an identity crisis. 

4 hours ago, Kaz said:

0927-van08a-burrows.png

Though their current set is a close 2nd.

I always loved the Canucks' 80s colours. Their home yellow/away black look was a natural and very unique in a league dominated by many home white/away royal blue teams. The Flying V and constant losing, though, made their brand look bad.

However, they should have kept their blue and green for identity stability. The Canucks could've gone with navy blue, add more green accents and change the logo to Johnny Canuck(What's a Canuck?!) and keep the SIR as a shoulder patch. 

It's safe to say that a Johnny Canuck jersey is due. They should put Johnny as the main and the C stick/rink logo as the shoulder and stick with it. No more uniform changes for 20 years.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

18 hours ago, Morgo said:

A poorly illustrated Duck foot, awkwardly warped into a "D" is clever?  I think the only reason it get's praise is because the prior version, with the script, was so awful.

Its a great dynamic design. Doesn't look poorly rendered at all. And yes a Ducks foot in the shape of a D is just as clever as that hidden "H" between the whales tail and "W" from the old Whalers logo or the "MB" in the shape of a baseball glove for the old Brewers logo.

The Catch of the Day!

1 hour ago, NeverSayNever said:

The upper center dick crest looks like it got caught In a fox trap. Just too goofy.

The Canucks jerseys pictured are perfect as is the green and royal blue color scheme.

What logo are you looking at? ^_^

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived