2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

The last time the Leafs won the Cup wa 1967. That harkens back to when the words TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS sinnified pride and tradition... since them they"br been hockey's version of the Cubs.

Toronto missed the chance to tie into their at one time proud history. They seem lost.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's definitely a case of the sweaters looking better as part of a whole uniform than as something for fans to wear.

Is it what I would have wanted? Not at all. Still? I would have hated it if you had told me the new Leafs uniforms would try to mash together the Smythe, '67, and Ballard looks. That's what they essentially did, but it looks far better than I would have imagined. They could maybe use a Toronto Arenas-style T or T/Shield on the shoulders, but eh. It still works without it.

I hate the jerseys on their own. But the uniform as a whole is really nice, the solid stripe on the pants and the double stripes on the socks save it. Not perfect but well done. I still love the logo of course.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Downgrade. The new logo is just as ugly as it was when it was unveiled, and replacing the hem stripe that matches the sleeve stripes with one that doesn't was a pointless change.

No offense, but we all know that you weren't going to like anything short of a Toronto version of this. B)

blues.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

The uniforms are fine but I was really hoping this original six franchise would give teams like Boston and Chicago a run for their money with this redesign.  I'm sad to say that what they unveiled just isn't it.

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

The uniforms are fine but I was really hoping this original six franchise would give teams like Boston and Chicago a run for their money with this redesign.  I'm sad to say that what they unveiled just isn't it.

The problem is that the ideal Leafs uniform would be the now-old uniforms with the new logo replacing the Ballard leaf. Maybe use blue shoulder yokes on the whites. I would have loved that, but it just wasn't going to look different enough from the old look. They wanted to maximise profits (lol MLSE), which means changing the formula just enough to convince as many people as possible to buy new sweaters.

Which makes sense given what I had heard. This is a classic "I heard this from a friend who knows a guy" story, but I had heard that MLSE had been considering a change to a more classic-looking logo for some time. At least as far back as 2010. They didn't pull the trigger because their research indicated that not enough people would feel the need to buy a new Leafs sweater if it was just a translation of an older look. Again, no idea how reliable that info is. It's just what I heard.

So in retrospect? It's no surprise that when they do pull the trigger on the classic logo they do enough to make sweaters noticeably different from the last ones.

So I know why they did it. And it's not my first choice. That being said? It's not nearly as bad as the concept sounded. I like it well enough. I'll certainly pick one up. Which isn't as fanboyish as you may think. I refrained from buying new Leafs gear after the Edge changeover. So I have no problem passing on a new Leafs sweater if I think it sucks. This one doesn't. It works for me.

Man, seeing all these new NHL sweaters makes me sad for the Avalanche.

They still have the ugliest look in the league and show no signs of a change anytime soon.  I am getting the feeling this will be the Avalanche look for the next 20+ years...

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

The Avs will probably adopt their alternate look full time sooner rather than later. I know a lot of people don't like it, but it's got to be a step up from the Reebok templated mess they wear now.

I love the Avs alternate, especially when compared to their normal home and away.  I would be OK with a change to this full-time but still think they could do better.

40 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

They still have the ugliest look in the league

They're far from the ugliest.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

but but but... the avalanches original jerseys were perfect.... why does the league continue to butt:censored: the fans!? It was so good! Just go back to it!

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Archived