2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, hockey week said:

For all of the people who complain about the Penguins "mismatched" socks, this is what the uniform would look like if the socks matched the sleeves, as the Hamilton Bulldogs have been doing:

14424740_10154472263001240_2421494334393130179_o.jpg

Looks good in a vacuum, but too close to the Bruins. I wish the Pens would go with a different stripe design on their black socks that better matches the striping on the rest of the uniform, but gold socks are not the answer. Looks like a Bruins rip-off rather than their own distinct identity.

On 10/1/2016 at 8:37 PM, oddball said:

Here's a close up of the Kings All Star patches from the 50th jersey. The picture doesn't do the gold justice.

image.jpeg

I like the all star logo a lot more, like this, without that god-awful mosaic effect.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

3 hours ago, hockey week said:

For all of the people who complain about the Penguins "mismatched" socks, this is what the uniform would look like if the socks matched the sleeves, as the Hamilton Bulldogs have been doing:

14424740_10154472263001240_2421494334393130179_o.jpg

The problem is they tried to match the sleeves exactly and used the yellow portion on top. The Penguins can't do that because the Bruins famously wear yellow socks with their black jerseys.

Here's what I'd do: 

Pens-Socks.png

still matches the sleeves, matches the hem stripes on the white jersey, would match the hem stripes on the black jersey if they were striped how I would stripe them. 

Again, those Penguins throwbacks are better than what they were wearing, but were a couple details away from being perfect. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

34 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The problem is they tried to match the sleeves exactly and used the yellow portion on top. The Penguins can't do that because the Bruins famously wear yellow socks with their black jerseys.

Here's what I'd do: 

Pens-Socks.png

still matches the sleeves, matches the hem stripes on the white jersey, would match the hem stripes on the black jersey if they were striped how I would stripe them. 

Again, those Penguins throwbacks are better than what they were wearing, but were a couple details away from being perfect. 

But then don't you get what's referred to on here as the "leotard effect"?

Alex-Ovechkin.jpg

vs

alex-ovechkin-move-of-the-night.jpeg

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

15 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

No idea why the Leafs had to change their uniform.  It was perfect before, why change?!

Because a logo stuck in a 70s timewarp and representative of a fifty+ year Cup drought wasn't worth keeping around ;)

12 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Because a logo stuck in a 70s timewarp and representative of a fifty+ year Cup drought wasn't worth keeping around ;)

I get the logo change, but not the uniform change.  Seemed like an after though and a cash grab.

5 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I get the logo change, but not the uniform change.  Seemed like an after though and a cash grab.

That's exactly what it was :D Welcome to MLSE 101 :P

Just swap out the Ballard leaf and the new leaf? May not be different enough for fans to buy a new sweater. Which lines up with a "friend of a friend of a friend" sort of rumour I heard a while back. That the Leafs had been considering a reto or retro-ish logo change for at least ten years or so but never pulled the trigger because with all the retro Leafs gear on the market? There was no guarantee that such a change to the primary set would move the needle merch wise. It makes sense that they would only go through with it if they changed the base sweater just enough to get the fence sitters to pay to switch.

My opinion of the new uniforms remains largely unchanged. Is it the Maple Leafs uniform I want? No. It's still better than a mashup of the 1930s, 1967, and 1970s looks has any right to be though. It's not my ideal design but it works for me none the less.

1 hour ago, hockey week said:

Alex-Ovechkin.jpg

vs

We're only talking about the black socks here because the white socks contrast with the black pants. The black socks have no more a "leotard effect" than their current black socks or any other team whose pant color matches the top color of their socks. 

Other examples of this style of sock striping in use:

markus-naslund-of-the-vancouver-canucks-

dd96d90145b8138e3d4bf38328906aad.jpg

predators-paul-kariya-skates-up-ice-duri

It's not unheard of and I think with the penguins it would actually make the most sense because that's how their sleeves and hem stripes work. 

The Capitals look had the unique decision to make the top of the socks the same color as the pants, even on the white socks, which created that capri pants look because the jersey and the bottom of the sock is the ligher color. They made a good decision when they flipped them around. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

That's exactly what it was :D Welcome to MLSE 101 :P

Just swap out the Ballard leaf and the new leaf? May not be different enough for fans to buy a new sweater. Which lines up with a "friend of a friend of a friend" sort of rumour I heard a while back. That the Leafs had been considering a reto or retro-ish logo change for at least ten years or so but never pulled the trigger because with all the retro Leafs gear on the market? There was no guarantee that such a change to the primary set would move the needle merch wise. It makes sense that they would only go through with it if they changed the base sweater just enough to get the fence sitters to pay to switch.

My opinion of the new uniforms remains largely unchanged. Is it the Maple Leafs uniform I want? No. It's still better than a mashup of the 1930s, 1967, and 1970s looks has any right to be though. It's not my ideal design but it works for me none the less.

Haha, I see!   I thought there was maybe more behind the change but it appears like there wasn't. 

Which makes it even more frustrating with the Avalanche staying in their current awful set.  Not only would a new uniform LOOK much better, it would also help the company make more money.  I really don't get their stubbornness on such an awful sweater.  

44 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Haha, I see!   I thought there was maybe more behind the change but it appears like there wasn't. 

Which makes it even more frustrating with the Avalanche staying in their current awful set.  Not only would a new uniform LOOK much better, it would also help the company make more money.  I really don't get their stubbornness on such an awful sweater.  

The only thing I can think of is that maybe they're trying to avoid appearing to be one of those mercurial teams that has to keep changing their look up. 

With the general look staying the same, though, I don't think anyone would accuse them of that. They're no Vancouver or Buffalo.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

4 hours ago, hockey week said:

Alex-Ovechkin.jpg

vs

The difference is that Pittsburgh wears a black jersey, so it makes sense for their socks to be primarily black. 

The Caps made the odd choice of pairing a red jersey with primarily navy socks. It was like when the Kings used to wear mismatched socks (the purple socks with black pants, jersey, and helmet looked alright, but the black socks with black pants and purple jersey created the Cooperall effect). 

5 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

The only thing I can think of is that maybe they're trying to avoid appearing to be one of those mercurial teams that has to keep changing their look up. 

With the general look staying the same, though, I don't think anyone would accuse them of that. They're no Vancouver or Buffalo.

Really confused on why you're lumping the Sabres in with Vancouver 

Three major changes since 1970, and only two(three if you count navy and royal as different) isn't nearly as much as Vancouver. And with the current set, only tweaks from here. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived