• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, rams80 said:

They "host" the Giants at Twickenham in 2016.

They are also playing in the UK in 2017.

So this means in 2018 we'll have 3 games in London and a game in China as well as possibly a recurring game in Mexico. :unsure:

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

31 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Not sure that's going to work.  Currently punters try to balance distance and hang time so that their guys have time to get down the field near the receiver to make a play.  If it's all fair catches, the punters can just let loose and we'll see much longer punts (obvious exception being coffin-corner situations.)

If it's "where the ball hits the ground", then why would there even be a receiver to fair catch it when the only possible alternate outcome would be a muff?

I agree that this is where the game is headed, but I'm just not sure that those are the smartest alternatives.

All games will turn into the Pro Bowl with teams losing possession at the quarter too. How about we just say, "Tackle with your head up at all times or it's a 5 yard penalty"! And ban any type of 2 or 3 man wedges protecting ball carriers. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Is this all touchbacks, or just those on kickoffs?  The college game has kickoff touchbacks on the 25 and punt/turnover touchbacks on the 20.

If anything, this will encourage more returns, which goes against safety-first.  Kickers are already clearing the end zone.  Now essentially it's a 5-yard penalty for a kickoff touchback, so perhaps this gives teams some incentive to try and force the receiving team to make a play instead of taking a knee or simply watching the ball hit beyond the back line of the end zone.  The NFL wants you to have a reason to watch every second of the game instead of taking plays for granted....that's why the PAT's were moved back last year, and that's why this change was made.  The NFL's thought process is that this will lead to more kickoff returns (as in, action happening on the field).

4 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Is this all touchbacks, or just those on kickoffs?  The college game has kickoff touchbacks on the 25 and punt/turnover touchbacks on the 20.

If anything, this will encourage more returns, which goes against safety-first.  Kickers are already clearing the end zone.  Now essentially it's a 5-yard penalty for a kickoff touchback, so perhaps this gives teams some incentive to try and force the receiving team to make a play instead of taking a knee or simply watching the ball hit beyond the back line of the end zone.  The NFL wants you to have a reason to watch every second of the game instead of taking plays for granted....that's why the PAT's were moved back last year, and that's why this change was made.  The NFL's thought process is that this will lead to more kickoff returns (as in, action happening on the field).

I disagree.  What's the average kickoff return - right around 20-25 yards, right? I really don't know, it just seems that way.

The only incentive to run a kick out of the endzone was if you thought you could get more than 20 yards.  Now you have to get more than 25 for it to be worth it, so there will be more knees in the endzone.

For the kicking team, it's still not worth taking the risk of the other team breaking it when in most cases you're just going to stop them right around the 20-25 anyway, so you're still going to kick it out of the endzone.

THe only effect this will have is to reduce the number of runbacks from in the endzone - NOT decrease the number of kicks in to or out of the endzone.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Because it is too much.  20 was perfect.  So were kickoffs from the 30.  At least from a fan's perspective.  I'm sure this new system is better from a player's brain perspective - or at least that's the selling point.

These rule changes have already, and will continue to alter the game to the point where most of the exciting plays simply don't happen anymore.  Until someone can prove that there's no link between NFL football and CTE (which is impossible), this is the way it's going to be, and we're going to have to decide as a society if we want to watch and cheer as people slowly give themselves brain damage, or if we want to watch the neutered version of the game, or just not watch at all. 

I suspect that in 20-30 years, we won't be watching at all.  And as much as I love "real" football, I can't watch MMA or other things where people intentionally injure each other, and as more facts come out, I find it harder to support and watch football too.  I still do, of course, because I'm an addict, but it's definitely different for me than it was.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

43 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The NFL let the Rams get out of Hard Knocks if they drafted Michael Sam.

I think it's more like "you're doing Hard Knocks if you don't draft Sam".

Either way, that's really underhanded. But what else is new in Goodell's NFL?

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

The NFL comes off more as The OC (or insert any other scripted "reality show") more and more by the day it seems like. Good gosh.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

So with the Browns signing RG3, rumors of the Eagles trading up to draft the guy from north Dakota (Goff?) are heating up.  Word was that they were positioning themselves to trade with Cleveland, now they may not need to go that high (unless they're afraid of Cleveland trading down.)

I've obviously never seen that guy play (don't even know his name!) but keep hearing how great he is.  Seems odd that someone that's considered a top 5 pick would be so under the radar that I woudl never have heard of him (note - I watch next to zero college football, but at least usually hear the top names in passing, whether just "water cooler" talk or if SportsCenter is on in the background, or by reading these threads.)

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So with the Browns signing RG3, rumors of the Eagles trading up to draft the guy from north Dakota (Goff?) are heating up.  Word was that they were positioning themselves to trade with Cleveland, now they may not need to go that high (unless they're afraid of Cleveland trading down.)

I've obviously never seen that guy play (don't even know his name!) but keep hearing how great he is.  Seems odd that someone that's considered a top 5 pick would be so under the radar that I woudl never have heard of him (note - I watch next to zero college football, but at least usually hear the top names in passing, whether just "water cooler" talk or if SportsCenter is on in the background, or by reading these threads.)

I'd like to see them start next season with RG3 and Goff. Hopefully the Browns are smart enough to realize that their QB problem is far from solved.

Oops. Wentz is the guy they're talking about. 

Former Eagle and Patriot fullback Keven Turner has died from ALS at age 46. 

He was involved in a research project that is linking ALS to CTE, and his brain will be examined.  I think there was either an OTL or maybe a local show about him in the past year or two and it was said that most of the experts that have seen him believe there is a direct link between the hits to the head he took as a fullback and ALS.

9 minutes ago, DDR said:

Packers end up agreeing with Jared Cook. I am irrationally excited about this, even though I've seen him play several times here in St. Louis.

He's excellent at dropping passes.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived