Football sleeve stripes that go all the way around

MCM0313

I have a question:

How many NFL teams, with the ever-shrinking sleeve lengths, still have stripes that go all the way around? I can only think of the Panthers, and their stripe is all the way up on the armpit. Furthermore, for those whose stripes used to be complete but are now partial (Steelers, 49ers, Giants off the top of my head), when did they truncate them?

Secondly, same question except replace "NFL" with "NCAA."

Wow, Kirk Cousins plays with his wedding ring on?

I mean, I give him props on the relationship-dedication angle but that just seems like a super awesome way to get injured, especially for a position where the defenders are constantly grabbing for their hands.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

6 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

Wow, Kirk Cousins plays with his wedding ring on?

I mean, I give him props on the relationship-dedication angle but that just seems like a super awesome way to get injured, especially for a position where the defenders are constantly grabbing for their hands.

Don't think it's an actual wedding ring. Just like a black band of some sort to act as a wedding ring while he's playing.

sleeve stripes seem to be all over the place depending on the cut of jersey and sleeve length. no consistency at all, even on the same team. i guess it's based on player preference and equipment manager to fit on field "look" requirements.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

43 minutes ago, pagan696 said:

sleeve stripes seem to be all over the place depending on the cut of jersey and sleeve length. no consistency at all, even on the same team. i guess it's based on player preference and equipment manager to fit on field "look" requirements.

I don't have exact timing but I have to guess going back at least 50 years or so when teams used to source their uniforms from local suppliers, they have always had a team seamstress/tailor etc that would handle lettering/numbering, custom alterations, and repairs. I think it's safe to say while not immediately noticeable in decades past, nfl clubs have a long standing tradition of allowing players to tailor their uniforms to their preference.

3 hours ago, VikWings said:

Don't think it's an actual wedding ring. Just like a black band of some sort to act as a wedding ring while he's playing.

That makes a little more sense but with all the more "modern" tungsten and carbide rings men wear nowdays you can never really tell.  

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

2 hours ago, pianoknight said:

That makes a little more sense but with all the more "modern" tungsten and carbide rings men wear nowdays you can never really tell.  

This came up a couple of months back. Someone posted a link from a Uniwatch story. There is a company which produces rubber wedding bands, marketed to athletes and outdoors people. Several NFL players wear them - mostly QBs, I think. Ryan Fitzpatrick is the only player they found who wore his actual metal wedding band on the field.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Wow, I thought it was a team-by-team thing, not player-by-player. The NFL should mandate sleeve length, or proportion, or something. They should either have them all the way around or not at all, IMO. Move them to the shoulder if you must.

If they tried to mandate length and stripe proportions, etc, you'd end up with the cutting of the sleeves like the early 90's era.. Check out some old Bills super bowl pictures.. Their players seemed to all have different lengths and different amounts of stripes left.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

no, function matters more than look when it comes to football sleeves, so certain players have certain needs in length and tightness to perform at a high level

Or, maybe more accurately, players want a certain length and tightness because they like how it looks and have convinced themselves it has everything to do with performance.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Or, maybe more accurately, players want a certain length and tightness because they like how it looks and have convinced themselves it has everything to do with performance.

Spot on. Id like to see some footage where somebody was tackled because their sleeves were too long. 

Short/cap sleeves were an evolutionary process, when jerseys moved away from elbow length durene in the early 70's the new polyester/mesh jerseys typically had shorter sleeves which did not taper like their predecessors. Thus while shorter, the newer jerseys sleeves were actually easier for interior linemen to grab a hold of. You can go back to the early 80's where players started taping their sleeves in knots and tucking them under their pads. You then had elastic cuffs being added and players started to prefer the shorter cuffed sleeves. More custom tailoring was done to essentially eliminate the material that would bunch up under the armpits to allow for more comfort and and a fully unobstructed shoulder rotation. The cap sleeve then became the default cut for linemen in the late 90's and skill players later adopted it due to preference. So what initially became a functional preference, evolved into a comfort preference and ultimately into a fashion preference.

Archived