2016 MLB Season

ninersdd

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, masterchaoss said:

if they wanted to stop this mlb should make voting only possible in person at the ballpark.

7M7Og_f-maxage-0.gif

Terrific idea!

Since the Cubs fill the stadium better than most teams, they would run away with all 8 starting positions!

6uXNWAo.png

The best teams usually have the most players because more of their fans are paying attention to baseball every day than the fanbases who are out of it and therefore they vote more. My baseball watching is down about 50% due to my team's stinkage. I completely forgot that some people vote for the All Star Game. 

Good for Adam Duvall on making the All-Star team. His numbers have been a really pleasant surprise which means the Reds will probably try to trade him at the deadline. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The only Cub All-Star I think I have a problem with is Russell, and that's only really more so that he's starting, not necessarily that he's on the team at all. I thought Trevor Story even has had a better year. But other than that, I'm really fine with all the other Cubs who are starting.

The bigger problem to me is that guys like Springer, Marte, and Story got left off. The final vote may change that, but still.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Just call it a freaking exhibition, and then let the fans have whoever the fans want to have in the starting lineup. Obviously, MLB should still try to stop these computer programs from logging tens of thousands of votes, but if some slip through and are successful, then oh well. It's an exhibition meant to celebrate the best/most popular players in baseball. No real consequences.

Of course, by tying World Series home field advantage to the ASG, that all gets blown up in a cloud of smoke.

And then they play the game in an NL ballpark but let the AL be the home team. I agree this thing is turning into a circus.

The only problem I have with these lineups is Russell starting. He's having a decent season, but Cory Seager should be starting (and I'm a Rockies fan). All of the other starters are deserving, even Dexter freaking Fowler. That dude was on fire before he got hurt. One thing that bothers me is that the voting started so early that it doesn't give time for players to settle in. Fans don't get to see who is good because ESPN spends all their time covering the NBA through the first week of June. Because of this, people just vote based on big names or who was good in the fall. Marcell Ozuna is having a better year than Harper and Cespedes, but got zero recognition because he plays for the Marlins and his name isn't Giancarlo Stanton. I'm just happy Yadier Molina didn't make it this year.

12 hours ago, kroywen said:

Just call it a freaking exhibition, and then let the fans have whoever the fans want to have in the starting lineup. Obviously, MLB should still try to stop these computer programs from logging tens of thousands of votes, but if some slip through and are successful, then oh well. It's an exhibition meant to celebrate the best/most popular players in baseball. No real consequences.

Of course, by tying World Series home field advantage to the ASG, that all gets blown up in a cloud of smoke.

The whole concept makes it a contradiction.  Fan voting and including every team is kinda problematic when it "counts."

The game, in almost all ways (getting almost everyone in, fan voting, not using starters that just pitched, every team represented), is an exhibition. So find a better way for the World Series.

I know a lot of people think the every team thing is "everyone gets a trophy."  I don't agree...I just think it's a good way to keep fans in all markets interested.  And since I root for a team that's at least five years from not losing 90 games, I like having that to look forward to.  I don't love fan voting, but I "get" it.  Again, though, as long as it's an exhibition.  

So make it an exhibition.  As for World Series home field advantage, there are at least three better options:

• Total record AL vs. NL in interleague play
  • Best overall record
  • Alternate years, as had been done for decades.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I vote for alternating years. We did it forever and nobody had a problem with it. It's like the possession arrow in basketball. It's not your turn for possession, well, sorry those are the breaks. I could also get on board for best overall record. It works in the NBA and NHL, and with interleague expanded the schedules aren't as unbalanced as they once were. 

Big negatory to the AL vs. NL interleague records for me. The AL has built-in advantages over the NL, which is why they've beaten the NL every year since 2004 and 16 of the first 19 years. You give them home field advantage every year and it's another advantage for the AL teams over the NL teams and would create even more competitive disparity. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm in the opinion that the Rays have quit on Kevin Cash.  It may not be his fault we are god awful, but the guys just aren't playing fundamentally sound.  Yes, the injury bug has bit us hard.  Starting pitching is sketchy at best, and only 2 pitchers in MLB have 10 or more losses and they're both on the Rays (Archer and Smyly).  Smyly should go to the pen IMO.  The bullpen outside of Alex Colome has been atrocious, and defense in the field is as good as swiss cheese.

Outside of Longoria, Forsythe, and Archer, anyone else is tradable and available I'm sure if the price is right.

On 7/6/2016 at 11:08 AM, DarkJourney said:

Let the Cubs have their All-Star moment because you know what's going to happen come October (walks away laughing maniacally)

As the pessimistic Cubs fan I can't help but...agree. 

Ugh, this damn team is killing me.  I can't even enjoy an amazing start to the season for fair of the ultimate nose dive that inevitably awaits.  

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

The Cubs are just gonna do whatever they're going to do.  Great start and the roster is fantastic, but here in the valley of their season with injuries everywhere and pitching in the toilet, it's absolutely beyond me to be rational.  I'm keeping my mouth relatively shut and hoping they reach their potential.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

The whole concept makes it a contradiction.  Fan voting and including every team is kinda problematic when it "counts."

The game, in almost all ways (getting almost everyone in, fan voting, not using starters that just pitched, every team represented), is an exhibition. So find a better way for the World Series.

I know a lot of people think the every team thing is "everyone gets a trophy."  I don't agree...I just think it's a good way to keep fans in all markets interested.  And since I root for a team that's at least five years from not losing 90 games, I like having that to look forward to.  I don't love fan voting, but I "get" it.  Again, though, as long as it's an exhibition.  

So make it an exhibition.  As for World Series home field advantage, there are at least three better options:

• Total record AL vs. NL in interleague play
  • Best overall record
  • Alternate years, as had been done for decades.

I'm in favor of using best overall record, personally. It at least creates some semblance of a team "earning" home field advantage.

I'm kind of split on the issue of every team being represented. It's good to keep every market interested, so on the whole, it's probably a good idea. With 15 teams per league, it can easily eat up too many roster spots with players who are completely uninteresting to 95%+ of the fans watching, but that's less of a concern now given how ASG roster sizes have ballooned over the years.

Archived