The Sports Media Thread

The talent doesn't pay, but the NFL does the old "we pay you in exposure" act that disreputable agencies use on their freelancers, except the Super Bowl halftime show is like the one time where that math actually works out for the talent.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

except the Super Bowl halftime show is like the one time where that math actually works out for the talent.

how so?  If you're big enough to be considered for the Super Bowl halftime show, wouldn't that imply that you already have a ton of exposure?  Maybe it's good for some of the non-headliners (MIA supporting Madonna comes to mind) but I'd say it's impossible to quantify.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

how so?  If you're big enough to be considered for the Super Bowl halftime show, wouldn't that imply that you already have a ton of exposure?  Maybe it's good for some of the non-headliners (MIA supporting Madonna comes to mind) but I'd say it's impossible to quantify.

I would guess that it rekindles dormant interest in big-name artists like Madonna or Prince. We all agree Prince had a great show, but he hadn't exactly been keeping his name in the papers to that point. I'm sure that interest in his music went up significantly after the Super Bowl. Maybe this does the same for Dr. Dre.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Last time I remember a decent halftime show was Prince. 

Obviously not on the same level as the Purple One was, but I remember being pleasantly surprised by J-Lo and Shakira a couple of years ago

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

19 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Seems like the Super Bowl halftime show is more of a confirmation that it’s only downhill from here when it comes to musicians. Last time I remember a decent halftime show was Prince. 

These halftime shows seem a bit like SNL. People look back so fondly at a couple shows from the past that they refuse to acknowledge that anything since then is any good. Prince's performance is often labelled the best halftime show of all time, so I don't think much is going to top that, but that doesn't mean we won't get some other great performances.

It was pretty clear after the Janet Jackson incident that the producers decided to play it safe for a while by going with some conservative, classic rock musicians with a catalogue of hits that most people would be familiar with (McCartney, Springsteen, Tom Petty). Then they course corrected a bit too much, which is how we ended up with the Black Eyed Peas.

This seems like the best possible option. You've got a genre that has more relevance with younger audiences than rock does, but the focus is on the legends of that genre that'll be familiar to the older generation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

These halftime shows seem a bit like SNL. People look back so fondly at a couple shows from the past that they refuse to acknowledge that anything since then is any good. Prince's performance is often labelled the best halftime show of all time, so I don't think much is going to top that, but that doesn't mean we won't get some other great performances.

It was pretty clear after the Janet Jackson incident that the producers decided to play it safe for a while by going with some conservative, classic rock musicians with a catalogue of hits that most people would be familiar with (McCartney, Springsteen, Tom Petty). Then they course corrected a bit too much, which is how we ended up with the Black Eyed Peas.

This seems like the best possible option. You've got a genre that has more relevance with younger audiences than rock does, but the focus is on the legends of that genre that'll be familiar to the older generation.

SNL has sucked ass since Chris Farley died. The wrong late night sketch show got cancelled IMO. RIP MadTV.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

I love that Snoop Dogg and Dre playing hits from 1992 is "more relevant with younger audiences." Those are 30-year-old songs!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Maybe it’s just my Gen-Zness speaking, but the Katy Perry one kicked a lot of ass, same with Bruno Mars’ first one. Though Snoop/Dre/Kendrick etc. has potential to top all of that as it’s easily the coolest show the league has put together, as I can confirm that “Still D.R.E.” and “The Next Episode” are still very popular with the youth. 

• Like 7

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

SNL has sucked ass since Chris Farley died. The wrong late night sketch show got cancelled IMO. RIP MadTV.

And I'm sure in the '90s (which I think is the best period for SNL), you probably had older people who had to constantly bring up how John Belushi was better than Farley, and that the show hasn't been watchable since The Not Ready for Primetime Players.

• Like 6

Halftime show production switched from that Emmys guy to Roc Nation a couple years back so I think we're just kind of seeing the reflection of that. I was pretty surprised they got The Weeknd last year but that was the best one since Prince. Perfect choice for the pandemic bowl.

I think it's cool to have some real L.A. curatorial spirit (and also Eminem, sure) for an L.A. Super Bowl, like a modern, hopefully less-corny update on the more locally derived themes of the pre-2000 shows. And combining Dre, Eminem and Kendrick covers your bases across like three generations in a way that makes a lot more sense than 15 seconds of Big Boi and Travis Scott between Maroon 5 songs. It's got potential!

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I wasn't as down on the dad-rock era of halftime shows as a lot of my peers were, but having the Super Bowl in Detroit and coming up with the Rolling Stones really, really annoyed me. You couldn't find anyone from there?

• Like 6

On 10/3/2021 at 10:34 AM, CS85 said:

Bruce Springsteen sucks.  He also annually ruins "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town."

The Boss has a few good songs.  and yes his version of Santa Claus is Comin' to Town is really bad

• Like 1

so long and thanks for all the fish.

22 hours ago, the admiral said:

I wasn't as down on the dad-rock era of halftime shows as a lot of my peers were, but having the Super Bowl in Detroit and coming up with the Rolling Stones really, really annoyed me. You couldn't find anyone from there?

they should have gotten some Motown artist for that one. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, the admiral said:

Bruce did not suck

"Bruce Springsteen is actually bad" is an indefensible position. Also, his halftime show was great.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 10/5/2021 at 5:15 PM, Digby said:

Springsteen's was the best of that Classic Rock era but it was a high-floor, low-ceiling time. I loved how that era's bands always wanted to play something from their new album of the late 2000s. Shut up and play the old stuff!

• Like 1