The Sports Media Thread

36 minutes ago, JayMac said:

I agree. He isn't bad but I can't take it when he starts screaming.

I can't watch a game with him at all. It always feels like he picks one team before the game and is overly bias towards them. I also laughed when he was on the Jaguars game on Sunday... definitely made that game feel like a college game.  

On 9/15/2021 at 2:20 PM, Sport said:

I'm joking about Paul Bissonnette being the worst player in NHL history. There's loads of guys who played fewer games and scored fewer points. As a personality I think Biznasty is tiresome. He wasn't that good on the few episodes I listened to of the Spittin' Chiclets podcast (which is a mess all around and I don't understand the popularity). Maybe he's better in a polished studio show? 

Agreed about Gretzky. That guy's famously dull and a lot of people have reported that he's kind of an a$$hole behind the scenes. 

I've seen a bit of Biz's work on the Coyotes' regional broadcasts, and he's much more professional & polished there compared to the podcast, although he still has his trademark self deprecatory humour. I actually think the contrast between him & Gretzky could make for an interesting dynamic.

As for Chiclets, I think the appeal is pretty obvious. People constantly complain that NHL players have no personality, and the podcast is one of the few public forums where players genuinely feel comfortable opening up. You also get former players who can come on and tell stories that wouldn't fly on am radio. I'm not sure how long ago you listened, but it feels like they have toned down a lot of the frat boy-type stuff that helped them blow up. Maybe Roenick getting fired for his comments on the show caused them to re-evaluate the brand.

ESPN fired Katie Nolan.

Since they hired her I never actually saw her, so could be a wash?

Sports TV needs an AEW (and no, it can't be Barstool).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That's what Fox Sports 1 was supposed to be when they tried to build the network around Katie Nolan.

She would be a good fit at a less serious outlet, maybe one where her Boston background would come in handy and she would be allowed to be Just One Of The Guys again, doing podcasts for people who can't read. Hmm.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

21 minutes ago, the admiral said:

That's what Fox Sports 1 was supposed to be when they tried to build the network around Katie Nolan.

She would be a good fit at a less serious outlet, maybe one where her Boston background would come in handy and she would be allowed to be Just One Of The Guys again, doing podcasts for people who can't read. Hmm.

I just said no Barstool!

But yes, the Ringer has probably already hired her. She better never be in a room alone with Simmons.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I never understood why ESPN hired her, presumably at a hefty salary, just to like, give her a web series that didn't get promoted. Why does ESPN have cost problems? Seems like throwing money at every single thing but not being able to support every single thing is maybe unsustainable. 

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, there was that 6 month run of being THE FUN NETWORK! and then they shifted gears to become the place for even hotter takes than ESPN. NBCSN could've been that alternative around the time they were on that hot streak landing the EPL and NASCAR, but missing out on other contracts and then NBC Sports deciding to commit suicide by getting rid of NBCSN and then kinda giving up on putting on an effort on everything besides SNF once they lost the NHL contract happened.

Complete aside, I don't think it's hit anyone just yet about the absolute duopoly ESPN and Turner are going to have with winter sports with this NHL deal. NBA? ESPN and TNT. NHL? ESPN and TNT. Almost every meaningful college hoops game from championship week onward? ESPN and Turner (plus CBS). It's going to become a lot more apparent once football season's over and done with.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Katie Nolan used to be in the Barstool orbit but I think she burned that bridge once she moved to ESPN and got involved with the goings-on in Stamford. (I think she might have been with the ESPN crowd that got the PMT show cancelled after one or two episode, not that the show was that great anyways)

She's got to be going to the Ringer or whatever Lebatard has going on?

IbjBaeE.png

The guy who makes the NFL maps is a Patriots fan, so it stands to reason that he'd be a winner who doesn't realize he won. Anyone with a media career is ecstatic about this halftime show. NO ONE BELIEVED IN US! , "us" being "the most popular musical artists of like the last 25 years"

• Like 1

Bruce Springsteen sucks.  He also annually ruins "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town."

• Like 4
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 9/29/2021 at 7:57 PM, RyanMcD29 said:

Yeah, there was that 6 month run of being THE FUN NETWORK! and then they shifted gears to become the place for even hotter takes than ESPN. NBCSN could've been that alternative around the time they were on that hot streak landing the EPL and NASCAR, but missing out on other contracts and then NBC Sports deciding to commit suicide by getting rid of NBCSN and then kinda giving up on putting on an effort on everything besides SNF once they lost the NHL contract happened.

Complete aside, I don't think it's hit anyone just yet about the absolute duopoly ESPN and Turner are going to have with winter sports with this NHL deal. NBA? ESPN and TNT. NHL? ESPN and TNT. Almost every meaningful college hoops game from championship week onward? ESPN and Turner (plus CBS). It's going to become a lot more apparent once football season's over and done with.

FS1 and the Big East think you're a loony

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

26 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Bruce Springsteen sucks.  He also annually ruins "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town."

Springsteen through Nebraska is untouchable, but I won't defend anything past that. "Streets of Philadelphia" is a good song, at least.

I gotta grab a napkin to do the math but I think the timespan between "Born in the USA" and Springsteen's halftime show is about the same as the one between "Ain't Nothin' But a G Thang" and Dre/Snoop's halftime show. The Weeknd was someone new but they clearly burned him off on the Super Bowl no one could go to.

• Like 2

Isn't there some nonsense like the halftime act having to actually pay the league for the "privilege" vs the league paying them like any other concert works?  I can't imagine Dre, Snoop, Eminem, et al doing that, unless someone else picked up the tab.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."