Established franchises that have never worn a throwback.

ColeJ

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/16/2016 at 7:57 AM, McCarthy said:

Yeah this isn't a cartoon. You'd see the orange decals raised off of the helmet, it would be very hard to get them to line up exactly correctly so you'd see some black peaking through, and then matching colors exactly would be an issue too. That's not an option. Either the NFL has to relax their one helmet rule or the Bengals will have to throwback to their super bowl uniforms instead, which I think I would actually prefer. 

I think their first Super Bowl appearance was probably the best the Bengals have ever looked.

On 5/12/2016 at 0:42 PM, twi said:

They've done this, the made up home and away fauxbacks, St Pete Saints (x2), St Pete Pelicans, UT Spartans, Tampa Smokers, Tampa Tarpons (x3), and Jacksonville Red (Caps? Legs?) all just off the top of my head. 

image.jpg

It was the Jacksonville Redcaps.  Back in 2008.

5755083566_8c8d24a82f_o.png

13 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

Seattle Mariners wore this in 2006:

ichiro110804b.jpg?w=500&h=510

The Mariners have worn a ton of throwbacks.  From their own history, the Pilots' and minor league teams like the Seattle Rainiers and Turks.

ichiro-rainiers-throwback.jpg  1996throwback_Listach.jpgichiro110908b.jpg Ichiro-in-Mariners-Throwback-Uniform-basichiro110825a.jpgzunino_miller_turks.jpg

18 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Question for you because I'm very interested in the inaugural Devil Ray uniforms and can't find as much info as I'd like. The picture below... what color are the brims? I had no clue about the purple brim caps that you referenced. So were there 3 caps that first season or just two? Also with the below picture, is that what initially the uniforms were supposed to be? Was the TB cap originally set to be an alternate?

26543006750_28e329d2a8.jpg

Those brims are black. I guess I had forgotten about those. They did sell a version of that cap with purple brims, because I still have one somewhere. The ones in that pic are the ones they wore in the 2009 throwback game, but were never worn on the field until then. The 1998 team took the field in the TB caps every game.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

1 hour ago, Matito said:

Those brims are black. I guess I had forgotten about those. They did sell a version of that cap with purple brims, because I still have one somewhere. The ones in that pic are the ones they wore in the 2009 throwback game, but were never worn on the field until then. The 1998 team took the field in the TB caps every game.

Hilarious that they do a throwback game and the throwback game is the first time a cap is ever actually worn on the field.

One last question about that pic above... did the purple undershirts on the home jersey make it to the field? Did they wear purple all year long or did it switch to black at any point?

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I think their first Super Bowl appearance was probably the best the Bengals have ever looked.

To me the Bengals have looked consistently terrible since that time -- varying degrees of terrible; but always terrible.

The last time that team looked decent was in 1980, before the arrival of the absurd stripes.

archie-griffin-of-the-cincinnati-bengals   bfe1a310c3227c990376fea88b6f03af.jpg   52477288-quarterback-ken-anderson-of-the

Ahhh, how nice.  Normal stripes.  A simple straightforward wordmark on the helmet.  This looks like an actual football uniform for adults, as opposed to the garish clown suits which the team has worn since the early 1980s.  If the Bengals ever do a throwback, it should be to this beautiful and dignified uniform.  

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

16 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

To me the Bengals have looked consistently terrible since that time -- varying degrees of terrible; but always terrible.

The last time that team looked decent was in 1980, before the arrival of the absurd stripes.

archie-griffin-of-the-cincinnati-bengals   bfe1a310c3227c990376fea88b6f03af.jpg   52477288-quarterback-ken-anderson-of-the

Ahhh, how nice.  Normal stripes.  A simple straightforward wordmark on the helmet.  This looks like an actual football uniform for adults, as opposed to the garish clown suits which the team has worn since the early 1980s.  If the Bengals ever do a throwback, it should be to this beautiful and dignified uniform.  

I would love to see this thrown back to just once, but it would be an upsetting day if they returned to them full time. Also I just explained why even a throwback to those is a long shot possibility. They wore them in the league wide event in 1994, but only once because removing all of the decals was a painstaking process for the equipment manager. Other teams like the Lions and 49ers wore theirs multiple times. Today removing decals and replacing with the arched Bengals is impossible because the stripes are painted on. 

81875384_zpsb6cf4802.jpg

The Tigger costumes they wear now are clown suits and some of the worst uniforms in the NFL and I hate them. From the neck down. The helmet is the best helmet in any level of football except for maybe the Rams. I thought the first two iterations of the tiger stripes were an understated application of that concept and had the primary benefit of being an instantly recognizable look, not confusable with the Cleveland Browns, which the original uniforms can't say. They were deliberately similar to the Browns specifically to piss Art Modell off which is why they had to go. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

18 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Hilarious that they do a throwback game and the throwback game is the first time a cap is ever actually worn on the field.

One last question about that pic above... did the purple undershirts on the home jersey make it to the field? Did they wear purple all year long or did it switch to black at any point?

As far as I can tell (and I was only 8 in their inaugural season so I don't remember first hand), they never wore purple undershirts. This picture was during spring training 1998, and McGriff is wearing black.

aart188.jpg

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Boooooooooooorrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiing. 

1. They looked like the Browns, except substitute black for brown. A team needs its own distinct identity. From 1981 onward the Bengals have been easy to tell apart from any other team in the NFL. 

2. They were named after a type of tiger. Tigers don't have "normal" stripes; why should a team named for them? Their current look, while far from perfect, suits the theme of their nickname much better than the pre-1981 look did.

3. I'll admit, however, that the wordmark has grown on me a little bit. It's simple, but it works fairly well. Arched text can be a good thing.

4. I like the tiger-striped pants (or I would, if it weren't for the stupid blank space at the top of the current ones), but I'll admit the stripes on these uniforms were pretty good. Very clean and all that. Just not enough to make this team stand out from the crowd.

4 hours ago, Matito said:

As far as I can tell (and I was only 8 in their inaugural season so I don't remember first hand), they never wore purple undershirts. This picture was during spring training 1998, and McGriff is wearing black.

aart188.jpg

If you do a quick Google search of players who were on the 1998 team, like Tony Saunders, it helps. It was always black undershirts and no evidence of them wearing the cap with just the Ray on it. Too bad, I liked that cap a lot too and I own the all black one. 

Go A's!

17 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

If you do a quick Google search of players who were on the 1998 team, like Tony Saunders, it helps. It was always black undershirts and no evidence of them wearing the cap with just the Ray on it. Too bad, I liked that cap a lot too and I own the all black one. 

Yep, that's exactly what I did. I started with Boggs, then went to McGriff after I didn't find what I needed. Quentin McCracken, Kevin Stocker, Miguel Cairo, Paul Sorrento... they were next.

17 hours ago, Matito said:

Yep, that's exactly what I did. I started with Boggs, then went to McGriff after I didn't find what I needed. Quentin McCracken, Kevin Stocker, Miguel Cairo, Paul Sorrento... they were next.

Have you guys seen how these inaugural Devil Rays jerseys are portrayed in MLB The Show? They've got the jerseys correct and even included both the TB and the unworn alternate cap with the Devil Ray on it but the undershirts and socks aren't black, not even purple, they're the green color of the 2001-07 sets! It's a strange mess, the 1998-00 jerseys and caps, the 01-07 undershirts and socks, and, if you play with a current player and don't change the colors of their cleats, wristbands and other accessories they'll be wearing the navy and columbia blue of the present team. All three eras in one!

20 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Have you guys seen how these inaugural Devil Rays jerseys are portrayed in MLB The Show? They've got the jerseys correct and even included both the TB and the unworn alternate cap with the Devil Ray on it but the undershirts and socks aren't black, not even purple, they're the green color of the 2001-07 sets! It's a strange mess, the 1998-00 jerseys and caps, the 01-07 undershirts and socks, and, if you play with a current player and don't change the colors of their cleats, wristbands and other accessories they'll be wearing the navy and columbia blue of the present team. All three eras in one!

That's funny. They should try that in real life. I mean, it's not like their current unis are all that great, and they've never worn a throwback before. Why not combine eras?

On May 17, 2016 at 6:06 PM, goalieboy82 said:

Seattle Mariners wore this in 2006:

ichiro110804b.jpg?w=500&h=510

Have any other teams done a throwback to another franchise still in the league? Because, shouldn't Milwaukee wear these? It is their franchise. Do the Royals wear K.C. A's throwbacks? Do the Red Sox have Boston Braves throwbacks? They might, I'm just curious...

21 hours ago, Matito said:

Is it the lighting or is this jersey from 1999 green?

Tony-Saunders-STP.jpg

Go A's!

18 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

Have any other teams done a throwback to another franchise still in the league? Because, shouldn't Milwaukee wear these? It is their franchise. Do the Royals wear K.C. A's throwbacks? Do the Red Sox have Boston Braves throwbacks? They might, I'm just curious...

The Brewers have worn Pilots uniforms.

ronnie-belliard-brewers-pilots-1999.jpg

Also, Milwaukee Braves throwbacks have been worn both by the Milwaukee Brewers and by the Atlanta Braves, once on the same day.

On several other occasions the Brewers wore Milwaukee Braves throwbacks against the Braves, with the Braves wearing their normal uniforms.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

Is it the lighting or is this jersey from 1999 green?

Tony-Saunders-STP.jpg

That jersey is green, but that was the Single-A affiliate St. Petersburg Devil Rays. Tony Saunders injured his arm the first time in 1999 at Tropicana Field, wearing the home white uniform. (Side note: I was there that night. When they say that you could hear a pin drop in the stadium, they mean it. We were in a box suite next to his wife. Horrifying) When Saunders made a comeback attempt in 2000 with the SP Devil Rays, he broke it again, as seen above.

Archived