Established franchises that have never worn a throwback.

ColeJ

Neither the Minnesota Wild or the Columbus Blue Jackets have also never worn a throwback uniform; I guess you could call both teams 'established' now.

Also, both the Jacksonville Jaguars and Carolina Panthers have also never worn a throwback uniform either.

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel pretty confident saying that the Washington Nationals have not worn any old Montreal Expos throwbacks. However, they've definitely worn throwbacks of the Negro League's Homestead Grays. Not sure if those should count as throwback since it's two completely different franchises.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I'll leave this one up to the judges: The New York Giants.

They went back to an old logo and quasi-retro unis but have never worn throwbacks in an actual game.

Nevermind. 1994 killed this for a lot of teams.

6uXNWAo.png

6 hours ago, dsaline97 said:

New+York+Mets+v+Colorado+Rockies+Game+Tw

I'm saying Rockies, because this crap doesn't count.

It really blows my mind that the Rockies have not had a major uniform overhaul for their entire existence.  The set they have is average at best

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

ahh one of the Seahawks home games that was moved to Husky Stadium due to falling ceiling tiles in the Kingdome. Kids, hard to believe, but there was a time when the Seahawks stadium was falling apart and they were the most likely relocation candidate. 

I went to one of those Seahawks games at Husky Stadium, think it was against Denver. Being 1994, was strange to see the Seahawks outdoors...

21 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

I went to one of those Seahawks games at Husky Stadium, think it was against Denver. Being 1994, was strange to see the Seahawks outdoors...

I remember the speculation in Cleveland was that we'd have the Cleveland Seahawks....

10 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Yep they could've been the LA Seahawks.

For a few days, they were. Ownership moved headquarters to an abandoned grade school in Orange County over the 1995-96 offseason, but the NFL told them to go home, and possibly that they were drunk. 

Could have had five relocations in three years. Instead we only had four! Should have only been one!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Bengals haven't really dabbled in throwbacks outside of one game during that 1994 league wide event. The one helmet rule will probably prevent this*, but I'd love to see 68 throwbacks for the 50th anniversary season coming up. Failing that they should throwback to the 81 set because the helmets are the same. 

*"but their helmets are orange so they can just take off the stickers and slap a BENGALS sticker on there." The Bengals helmets are actually painted, as opposed to stripe decals like they were in 1994, so wearing throwbacks to the plain orange helmets would involve an entirely new set of helmets, which is now against NFL rules. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 5/10/2016 at 5:22 PM, Ice_Cap said:

I would go with that, but switch out the hunter green for the victory/kelly green. It wouldn't be accurate, but it would look better. 

that's the 1993-94 uniform. the green actually WAS kelly green there. it just looks a ton darker on an old scanned hockey card, and surrounded by so much black.

once they switched to hunter green, they switched the numbers to white, and made the stripes fatter. (also, moog ditched the brown pads after 1993-94, and replaced his bear mask with a texas shape)

50 minutes ago, dont care said:

What you talking about Willis?

Exactly what I said, the Rays have already had a throwback game to the gradient era uniforms. 

On 5/10/2016 at 5:08 PM, ColeJ said:

i've seen the spurs wear throwbacks too, from the gervin era.

it seems as though the stars are by far the oldest team to have never worn a throwback, unless you only count them from 1993... at which point they're still pretty high at the top of the list.

now i want our alternate to just be a straight throwback to this:

4991-301Fr.jpg

How is the 93 to about 99/2000 home and away set regarded with most Stars fans? They had a decent amount of success in those uniforms but they seem to be forgotten to the 'star' template and the current set. 

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

3 minutes ago, Claystation360 said:

Didn't they do a 70's fluxback a few times. 

That's all that I remember and a Tampa Tarpons 1920's ish jersey for a game. I really don't remember them ever wearing the gradient jersey

They've done this, the made up home and away fauxbacks, St Pete Saints (x2), St Pete Pelicans, UT Spartans, Tampa Smokers, Tampa Tarpons (x3), and Jacksonville Red (Caps? Legs?) all just off the top of my head. 

image.jpg

Archived