MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

There's too much navy in MLB and always has been, and I don't normally like two-toned caps.  But that color combination has always worked for the Angels, they're one of a handful of teams that actually look better with a two-toned cap, and they need to return to it.  I'm with the others, though, that if they're going to keep the logo like that, it's too busy to accommodate both an "L" and an "A".  Maybe if the blue outline and the white outline were made considerably thinner it might work.

I've always thought the Rays would look good with a two-tone cap. Their Spring Training/BP cap looks good with a navy crown and Columbia blue brim.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

4 hours ago, insert name said:

It's still Anaheim Angels to me damnit! 

Agree, Anaheim Angels sounds nicer than Los Angeles Angels, besides Angeles means angels, right? So it´s basicly Los Angels Angels ? 

That´s a lot of Angels in this post :wacko:

32 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Agree, Anaheim Angels sounds nicer than Los Angeles Angels, besides Angeles means angels, right? So it´s basicly Los Angels Angels ? 

They'd be "The The Angels Angels".

Currently they're The Graceful Home Angels of The Angels.

spacer.png

spacer.png

24 minutes ago, Thomas said:

5 hours ago, insert name said:

It's still Anaheim Angels to me damnit! 

Well, if we're going by what sounds best, then it should be "California Angels".

The name "Anaheim Angels" sounds all kinds of goofy.  What's more, Anaheim has no business in a league alongside the Chicagos and the New Yorks of the world.  Anaheim belongs alonside Azusa and Cuc...amonga.  (I hope that there are some people who are cultured enough to get that reference.)

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with "Los Angeles Angels", which, in practice, is always said as "L.A. Angels".  That name is older than most of the other names the Majors, dating back to the first years of the 20th Century.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with "Los Angeles Angels", which, in practice, is always said as "L.A. Angels". 

No, it isn't.

"always" is a buzzword that generally will bring out the contrarians, like it did this time :-)

It's where I sit.

tumblr_m8hwwidcSs1r3f9ymo2_250.gif

Ooooh.  It's that time again!  The time second only to NOB vs. NNOB.

You could argue just as well that Green Bay, Portland, and Columbus don't deserve teams.  It's not as though Los Angeles doesn't have a team in the sport, although for the longest time football didn't and most people outside of that metro area didn't complain.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Anaheim belongs alonside Azusa and Cuc...amonga.  (I hope that there are some people who are cultured enough to get that reference.)

il_570xN.797197078_swti.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Huh.  That's one of those current-at-the-time references made by Warner Brothers that nowadays to the younger generations are known as being Looney Tunes references.  I'd read that in Bugs Bunny's voice.

Actually, when a Looney Tunes cartoon made this reference, it was done by Daffy Duck.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

It's possible the Padres may be moving to a blue, white, grey scheme. Those were the colors of the Tucson Padres and that uniform was considered popular by the Tucson fans, IIRC, as well as our ownership. However, I think they were popular not because of the colors but the font style.

If they cut yellow and replace it with grey, that would be pretty dull. Which means it's highly probable.

V3b3vhQh.jpg

TucsonPadresCap.PNG

TucsonPadresLogo.PNG

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Not sure if this means anything but the Brewers' schedule got me thinking so I looked up the Padres 2017 schedule. Here is a screen shot of the printable PDF available for download. Blue/grey? Really? I sure hope this doesn't mean anything but it's scary nonetheless. Padres2017.jpg

New number font for the Padres? 

RE: These teams like the Padres, Brewers, (now maybe the Royals), etc. that appear to not be setting on an identity / color scheme:

Teams like this know exactly what they are doing.  They aren't "confused" about their identity.  They are being decidedly indecisive.  

You know how most teams have alternate jerseys?  Well we all know that one of the main motivations of that is to sell more jerseys.  Teams like the Brewers have (maybe intelligently?) taken that to the next level of alternate identities.  Why just sell alternate jerseys when you can sell entire alternate identities, with matching hats and everything?  It's almost genius, if you think about it, at least in terms of money/sales.

Somebody earlier posted a Brewers schedule that clearly showed both the BiG and the M-barley, not blatantly favoring either one.  Well, ... that's the point.  They don't really want you to think they are favoring either one, so that you will think that both identities are being used, so that you will go out and buy both kinds of gear.  And I've got to think that it's working, because more and more teams are doing it.  Just like what happened with alternate jerseys.

I'm not saying I am in favor of what teams like this are doing, but I just want to clarify that they are certainly not "confused" or "trying to figure out their identity."  Their owners aren't idiots.  They are purposely hanging on to multiple identities / color schemes in order to make more money.  And I guess from a business perspective, good for them, if it's working.

11 hours ago, Dra--- said:

It's possible the Padres may be moving to a blue, white, grey scheme. Those were the colors of the Tucson Padres and that uniform was considered popular by the Tucson fans, IIRC, as well as our ownership. However, I think they were popular not because of the colors but the font style.

If they cut yellow and replace it with grey, that would be pretty dull. Which means it's highly probable.

V3b3vhQh.jpg

TucsonPadresCap.PNG

TucsonPadresLogo.PNG

That was Moorad and he doesn't own the team anymore.

12 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Not sure if this means anything but the Brewers' schedule got me thinking so I looked up the Padres 2017 schedule. Here is a screen shot of the printable PDF available for download. Blue/grey? Really? I sure hope this doesn't mean anything but it's scary nonetheless. Padres2017.jpg

I think this might just be a place holder. It's not in the same format as every other team's schdule and the team said on Twitter a couple of days ago that they were working on the schedule and haven't made an announcement since then about releasing it.

And actually, the yellow's still around on Cleveland's ST schedule:

image.jpeg

Had anybody seen this year's 5950s (without the NE logo) go on clearance yet online? I want to buy a few Sox hats as back ups and just wear these until I die. I won't be too enthused about buying caps with the manufacturer logo, and even with the Sox slowly chipping away at and destroying their aesthetics, they haven't messed with the hat yet. If the Sox can give me another 40-50 years out of the current logo, I'll be good.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived