MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

11 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

yanksua.png

Yeah, I can't see the Yankees going for that. Or several of the other teams for that matter. I'd bet my favorite hat that logo will be on the sleeve by 2020.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that I know much about the biz, but I'd think that whether the Yankees are going to do this is probably known.  Would UA spend all this money to tarnish the jerseys only to have the most-watched franchise pull the rug out from under them?  I'd think it's a done deal, unless there's some language like "at least 25 teams" or some provision for a team to pay a bunch of money to abstain.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This was always inevitable. Money rules all. Soon it'll look normal (NBA is doing it as well), and before we know it the jerseys will be covered with ads and we won't know what happened. If there is any way to fight it let me know but I'm certain there is not. Aesthetics will change. Kids will grow up, in 15 years join these same boards, and bash a team for going ad-less because it looks "like a middle school team."

12 minutes ago, eRay said:

This was always inevitable. Money rules all. Soon it'll look normal (NBA is doing it as well), and before we know it the jerseys will be covered with ads and we won't know what happened. If there is any way to fight it let me know but I'm certain there is not. Aesthetics will change. Kids will grow up, in 15 years join these same boards, and bash a team for going ad-less because it looks "like a middle school team."

Very simply way to fight it, don't buy the crap with the logos on it. Enough people forego the over adverted crap, they'll roll it back to save their merch sales.

I don't know that merchandise sales would really impact this...the exposure is probably worth it. Not that it matters...most fans either won't be bothered by it or are content with a replica that does not include the logo.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

21 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I don't know that merchandise sales would really impact this...the exposure is probably worth it. Not that it matters...most fans either won't be bothered by it or are content with a replica that does not include the logo.

I said it earlier, and I'll say it again, I never thought I'd miss Bud Selig.

Teams with chest logos (Yankees, Cubs, White Sox, Reds, and Nats, along with a number of alts) are probably going to have a bit of a soccer look going on, with the manufacturer logo on the left breast directly opposite the team logo. 

If the chest logo is inevitable for all 30 teams, my hope is that the UA logo is directly lined up across the chest with the team logo (as opposed to how it is in the Yankees mock-up above). That would look marginally better than how Auburn has it, where the manufacturer's logo isn't lined up at all with the AU monogram.

If the team wears a number opposite the chest logo (a la the White Sox and Reds), the UA logo could go directly above the number.

One even scarier thing: if the UA logo goes on the chest, that frees up space for team to wear a sleeve patch with a corporate advertisement. I'm certain that neither Under Armour nor advertisers would've wanted their logos next to each other on a sleeve competing for attention, so a UA chest logo manages to avoid that scenario.

In other words, expect ads on sleeves by the mid-2020s.

54 minutes ago, kroywen said:

One even scarier thing: if the UA logo goes on the chest, that frees up space for team to wear a sleeve patch with a corporate advertisement. I'm certain that neither Under Armour nor advertisers would've wanted their logos next to each other on a sleeve competing for attention, so a UA chest logo manages to avoid that scenario.

In other words, expect ads on sleeves by the mid-2020s.

If corporate ads are to go on a sleeve, you'd think they could put the UA logo on the left sleeve, and the corporate logo on the right.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

If the Yankees have to wear on the front, I can see them using Auburn's layout:

11745591.jpeg

It's not ideal, but it's the best case outcome for this scenario. And it's at least palatable here compared to the Yankees mockup in the thread because it's smaller, whereas the other one is far bigger.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Gosh, you people are getting annoying with the crying over this. It doesn't look bad. That picture of the Auburn player above is the perfect reason I'm fine with this move. The logo isn't going to be that big, so just suck it up and move on. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

38 minutes ago, Griffinmarlins said:

Gosh, you people are getting annoying with the crying over this. It doesn't look bad. That picture of the Auburn player above is the perfect reason I'm fine with this move. The logo isn't going to be that big, so just suck it up and move on. 

So just roll over and accept something that ugly? No thanks.

1 hour ago, Griffinmarlins said:

I'm not a fan of the move by any means, but the uproar makes it seem like Under Armor is going to change bats to tennis rackets and jerseys to garbage bags. From an aesthetic point of view, yeah, the logo on the chest is unsightly and unnecessary, but it's not going to be the end of the world. We all survived the World Series with the Cubs and Indians wearing New Era flags on their caps, so we'll survive just fine with UA logos on the chest.

tl;dr - Fine, voice displeasure. I know I have. But don't whine and cry and act like this one act is going to ruin the game forever.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Archived