MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

Mascot caps look minor / little league*.  I'm certainly no traditionalist, but I do believe that the monogram is one aspect of the traditional baseball aesthetic that should be preserved.

*Toronto's cap logo looks great though.  It's done in a way that's not cartoony - it looks like a professional logo.  Maybe it's because it's all I've known, but I wouldn't want to see them in anything else (though a white split-T against blue would look sweet.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Mascot caps look minor / little league*.  I'm certainly no traditionalist, but I do believe that the monogram is one aspect of the traditional baseball aesthetic that should be preserved.

*Toronto's cap logo looks great though.  It's done in a way that's not cartoony - it looks like a professional logo.  Maybe it's because it's all I've known, but I wouldn't want to see them in anything else (though a white split-T against blue would look sweet.)

Orioles would fall into this(personal bias perhaps). Orioles practically have never had anything but a mascot hat, and that's the way it should stay. 

Generally though, agree with you.  Especially for a team so tied to the SD monogram to the point it has been the only consistency 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

22 hours ago, dsaline97 said:

Yuck. 

I like it. If there is any team that should feature stars and stripes, it's the Nationals. However, I will miss the blue jerseys. 

B. Fass
Lancaster, PA

Nationals, Senators, Cowboys, DC United, Wizards

Washington-Nationals-Logo-HD.jpg.281d0e8be98a8521d34280de8329814f.jpgf29b882649e94f47737fee9f5b5b001f.gif.b4758c5fa8639d2f66ee458c1f7b27f9.gifmedium_DCU_20Crest_on_20white.png.4035fbad4dcbf26991bc729beadb718e.png59e126b48fe75_cowboyslogosmall.jpg.27ea81b23b230e77e0460934b5f36e74.jpg

9 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Like this?

IMG_2895.PNG

Yes, but I like the old non-serifed T better.  I wouldn't want them to switch to this, but I still love it.

9 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Orioles would fall into this(personal bias perhaps). Orioles practically have never had anything but a mascot hat, and that's the way it should stay. 

Generally though, agree with you.  Especially for a team so tied to the SD monogram to the point it has been the only consistency 

The ornithologically-correct cap was horrible - way too wide for a cap logo.  Too detailed too.

The current one is just too cartoony and minor-league.  They haven't even worn it for that much of their history - but since it's what they wore when I was a kid, I guess I'm used to it.  Either way, I prefer their caps with the old-English B better.  Even a white-paneled cap with a block orange B would be preferable IMO.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

31 minutes ago, Fassy said:

I like it. If there is any team that should feature stars and stripes, it's the Nationals. However, I will miss the blue jerseys. 

I think they will be staying as well.  White would be for day games and the blue for nights

12 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Just to add- case in point, the late 90s Blue Jays logo with the "T" and the cartoony Blue Jay hiding behind it looked like something out of the Class AAA International League.

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yes, but I like the old non-serifed T better.  I wouldn't want them to switch to this, but I still love it.

The ornithologically-correct cap was horrible - way too wide for a cap logo.  Too detailed too.

The current one is just too cartoony and minor-league.  They haven't even worn it for that much of their history - but since it's what they wore when I was a kid, I guess I'm used to it.  Either way, I prefer their caps with the old-English B better.  Even a white-paneled cap with a block orange B would be preferable IMO.

I had never thought of that.  Makes me re-think my love of that era.  Meh...I still like it.   While I agree that the last iteration was too detailed, I am OK with earlier versions that just used orange, black, and white.  

Either way, the current bird is terrible and minor league.  Or maybe something that should be sold in the "Kids Korner" in the clubhouse shop.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

14 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I had never thought of that.  Makes me re-think my love of that era.  Meh...I still like it.   While I agree that the last iteration was too detailed, I am OK with earlier versions that just used orange, black, and white.  

Either way, the current bird is terrible and minor league.  Or maybe something that should be sold in the "Kids Korner" in the clubhouse shop.

Cartoon bird would be a better alternate hat than "O's".  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Cartoon bird would be a better alternate hat than "O's".  

That's a race to the bottom, though.  I'd prefer O's myself but whichever one I'd prefer would be by default.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I loved the former Orioles hats with the actual bird pictured instead of the cartoon (2009-2011 logo as an example). Those logos along with the current Blue Jays logo look great as the primary because they look like the actual animal. While I like the cartoon logos such as the swinging fryer, Mr. Met, and others, I feel they should never be used as the primary. 

B. Fass
Lancaster, PA

Nationals, Senators, Cowboys, DC United, Wizards

Washington-Nationals-Logo-HD.jpg.281d0e8be98a8521d34280de8329814f.jpgf29b882649e94f47737fee9f5b5b001f.gif.b4758c5fa8639d2f66ee458c1f7b27f9.gifmedium_DCU_20Crest_on_20white.png.4035fbad4dcbf26991bc729beadb718e.png59e126b48fe75_cowboyslogosmall.jpg.27ea81b23b230e77e0460934b5f36e74.jpg

This is my favorite Orioles cap logo. 

14892046365_f3a7102b0b_o.jpg

Although I do have a soft spot for this particular bird logo. 

1939-baltimore-orioles-fitted-cap-by-ebb

It's not remotely ornithologically correct, but it's square enough to be nicely balanced on the front of a cap.  Which is my big problem with any of their other birds, which are so much more horizontal than vertical. 

Nats new alternates... love the jersey, hate the caps. The flag in the cap logo is unneccesary and is beyond muddled and unclear and that's looking at high quality close ups of it. Imagine how it'll look in actual action on TV or from the stands. The jersey would have already looked fine with the caps they already had. Also just remembered they have too many caps already so this doesn't help. The new jersey is a simple patriotic jersey without going over the top as many others have. There was nothing wrong with the navy blue jersey so I hope it isn't gone but there's nothing wrong with putting that flag version of the curly W on a solid white jersey.

24 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

If the hat I just saw someone wearing on the subway is authentic, your gonna hate the New Era logo and the Mets alternate caps even more than you did before...

Which alternate caps?  Blue cap with orange brim, or solid blue with the silver stitching?

The worst part about the NE flag on the cap is all fashion caps are lumped in with AC hats.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

23 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Which alternate caps?  Blue cap with orange brim, or solid blue with the silver stitching?

The worst part about the NE flag on the cap is all fashion caps are lumped in with AC hats.

The blue with orange brim and with a white outline on the insignia

Archived