TVIXX

MLB Changes 2017

Recommended Posts

If they completely get rid of Wahoo at some point, they absolutely have to come up with another logo with some Indian imagery.  Even if they keep the "C" caps they still need something for a sleeve patch.  I absolutely hate the same logo used on the hat and as a sleeve patch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

 

Yes, it will.  Uni Watch posted this photoshop mockup:

 

Czh07A3UkAAHQgN.jpg

Unfortunately the Block C doesn't fit with the Indians script. If they're gonna keep the Indians name, they're gonna have to change the logo and uniform. This is gonna be a mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, insert name said:

Unfortunately the Block C doesn't fit with the Indians script. If they're gonna keep the Indians name, they're gonna have to change the logo and uniform. This is gonna be a mess.

I don't mind the Block C with the script. Seems to work for me in baseball. I think a navy C with white outline would work better with the set though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see no problem with using the block C and indians script. It's really no different than what the Dodgers do. I wouldn't mind switching out the chief wahoo on the home cap to the C as well. Just to keep everyone happy and have some consistency.

 

The red hats are still the most popular with Cleveland fans, so there was no way they were going to get rid of them. They really have been transitioning towards more red with new socks and undershirts last season. Part of me was hoping for a red jersey, just for something different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VDizzle12 said:

The red hats are still the most popular with Cleveland fans

 

Interesting.  What's your source on that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see a need for a sleeve patch at all, personally. Just remove Wahoo from the sleeve and call it a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get this. Titles are stating that the Indians will stop wearing Wahoo caps then you notice when reading the articles that they're only talking about the blue alts now being worn with the ugly red caps. What about the red billed home caps worn with the white jerseys? The panicking titles seem misleading...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

I don't get this. Titles are stating that the Indians will stop wearing Wahoo caps then you notice when reading the articles that they're only talking about the blue alts now being worn with the ugly red caps. What about the red billed home caps worn with the white jerseys? The panicking titles seem misleading...

 

Cleveland is just trying to join San Diego and Milwaukee and have a complete mess of an identity.  Trying to please everybody usually just ends up pissing more people off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, the admiral said:

"Remember what we wore in every single game when we won the pennant? We're never wearing that again."

Hopefully the Cubs won't follow the logic I am inferring that you're advocating.  "Remember when we finally won the World Series only wearing our blue alts on the road?  Let's continue to only wear our blue alts on the road."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few items to clarify:

 

- The Indians are only wearing the red hats with the navy jersey at home. It will still be the navy Wahoo hat with the navy jersey on the road.

 

- According to The Plain Dealer, a new alternate jersey is coming in 2018 to replace the cream alternate, which has been dropped for 2017. (The team already wore the cream uniform much less frequently in 2016 than previous years.)

 

- The Indians have never paired one of their script 'Indians' jerseys (white home/navy alt) with a Block C hat before, so if you're looking for another incremental step in phasing out Wahoo, that door is now open.

 

- As for why there is gray trim on the navy alt: It was originally conceived as an alternate to be worn on the road only, and the gray trim matched the gray pants. It started getting use for home games more in recent years, but the gray trim has remained. 

 

(And this leads to a pet peeve of mine: If gray isn't one of your colors, don't use it as an accent color on your uniforms. The Mets do this, too, and it's equally bad for them.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the Cubs should do that, though I now have to concede that the dumpster-bear alternates are never going anywhere as long as I live.

 

But I think it's strange for the Tribe to commit to a single uniform combination for every single playoff game (or darn close to it) and then immediately retire said combination. If it's merely a matter of de-Wahooing, that falls within an acceptable range, but subbing out that hat for this ugly one is a huge downgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

Yes, it will.  Uni Watch posted this photoshop mockup:

 

Czh07A3UkAAHQgN.jpg

ew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CitizenTino said:

(And this leads to a pet peeve of mine: If gray isn't one of your colors, don't use it as an accent color on your uniforms. The Mets do this, too, and it's equally bad for them.)

 

The Mets don't wear the gray-accented jersey at home, though (at least I don't think so).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kroywen said:

I hate those red caps so much - they also looked terrible with the cream fauxback uniforms. They just don't fit the rest of the Indians' identity at all.

I hate them too, but I think for me it's less because they clash with the rest of the identity, and more because I really feel that light-colored caps (or at least lighter in color than the jersey) just don't work. I can't think of an example of a light-colored cap that has looked good in modern baseball history (not counting turn-of-the-century uniforms like the Yankees white caps). I don't really care for the new Columbia blue Rays ST cap (though I don't know if they actually wore them in ST), and there are a few other ones that just don't look right, including Cleveland's red block C cap. As a general rule of thumb, the cap needs to be darker than, or at least the same shade as, the jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta agree with some of the other guys here. The Indians really should just rip the band-aid off with Wahoo. Get rid of it in one fell swoop, and adopt something like one of the "feather+block C" concepts from these boards (akin to this one, done by McCarthy):

 

CvvB6DGWYAQBtv1.jpgtribe-hats.png

 

It's tied in with team's "block C" history, distinctive, and not a grinning "inferior other" caricature. If they want to keep the "Indians" name, this is the way to go.

 

Of course, the more I've thought about it, the more I think that it would be better to completely ditch "Indians" and rebrand the team as the "Spiders."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

 

The Mets don't wear the gray-accented jersey at home, though (at least I don't think so).  

 

You are correct. Only have grey in the road blue alternates/hats. I didn't like them at first but they have grown on me esp. the hat. And we have a little history with wearing grey in the 80's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I gotta agree with some of the other guys here. The Indians really should just rip the band-aid off with Wahoo. Get rid of it in one fell swoop, and adopt something like one of the "feather+block C" concepts from these boards (akin to this one, done by McCarthy):

 

CvvB6DGWYAQBtv1.jpgtribe-hats.png

 

It's tied in with team's "block C" history, distinctive, and not a grinning "inferior other" caricature. If they want to keep the "Indians" name, this is the way to go.

 

Of course, the more I've thought about it, the more I think that it would be better to completely ditch "Indians" and rebrand the team as the "Spiders."

 

 

I would be ok with this...I think the bottom version with the white outlines looks better though.  Now I'd still want to see a different alternate logo or 2 to be used as the sleeve patches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mockup above would be an instant upgrade from both the block C and Wahoo. The plain block C is probably the single most boring logo in all of professional sports and not befitting of a primary mark.

 

The next most boring cap logo would be Colorado, but at least it's an interlocking monogram. It has some intrigue to it.

 

Cleveland's block C is trying to be super throwback (perhaps like the Milwaukee Braves M, which was also super plain) but with none of the classic feel. At least throw in a contrasting brim or use a white C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

 

Why they just don't take Wahoo to the woodshed and end him is beyond me. They're clearly not happy with him and want him gone, so just do it.

 

Is there another sports logo to which we apply masculine personal pronouns?

 

Of course, the more I've thought about it, the more I think that it would be better to completely ditch "Indians" and rebrand the team as the "Spiders."

 

Forget it. They'll always be the Cleveland Indians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.