NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, keynote said:

"Welcome Toronto" is odd phrasing, agreed. Are the Raptors always the visiting team?  Or is that their way of welcoming the fans?

It's a nod to Drake, one of OVO's slogans is "Welcome OVO", it's even their instagram name

9 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

It's an owl icon, isn't it? It's either the mascot for some company he runs or he has some sort of thing for owls (weirdo).

Yeah - isn't OVO (which stands for the record label October's Very Own) supposed to look like owl eyes and a nose?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yeah, Toronto is taking the co-branding with Drake too far. 

The Nets did a good job of drafting off of Jay-Z's street cred without overdoing it.  They play classic Brooklyn hip hop as part of the in-game entertainment (Biggie, Gangstarr, Jay-Z, etc.), but they also play songs from other artists as well.  They use slogans that reference Jay-Z, yet still work for the team, e.g., Hello Brooklyn, Brooklyn We Go Hard, etc.   Yet they maintain other ties to their borough (e.g., the Brooklyn Dodgers alts) and to their franchise (their fauxback New York Nets' jerseys).  And it's not as if the Nets' new black/white color scheme was a specific nod to Jay-Z (sure, he wore black and white on an album cover once, but they weren't his signature colors, per se).  

The Raptors' use of Drake's black and gold doesn't have any dual meaning for the city or the franchise that I'm aware off, other than "we're using Drake's colors."  

7 hours ago, keynote said:

Yeah, Toronto is taking the co-branding with Drake too far. 

The Nets did a good job of drafting off of Jay-Z's street cred without overdoing it.  They play classic Brooklyn hip hop as part of the in-game entertainment (Biggie, Gangstarr, Jay-Z, etc.), but they also play songs from other artists as well.  They use slogans that reference Jay-Z, yet still work for the team, e.g., Hello Brooklyn, Brooklyn We Go Hard, etc.   Yet they maintain other ties to their borough (e.g., the Brooklyn Dodgers alts) and to their franchise (their fauxback New York Nets' jerseys).  And it's not as if the Nets' new black/white color scheme was a specific nod to Jay-Z (sure, he wore black and white on an album cover once, but they weren't his signature colors, per se).  

The Raptors' use of Drake's black and gold doesn't have any dual meaning for the city or the franchise that I'm aware off, other than "we're using Drake's colors."  

I agree all about the money yo, dont you know how nike works? (yes im aware black and gold are from years past too,)

the nba f'd up not going east vs west. hate me now. kick me from the forums, i dont care. I'm glad i can talk to you guys who actually know stuff and design and dislike 8/10 things that nike has changed or produced. taking away the finals script was strike 1. strike 2 was jersey ads. strike 3 is a non east vs. west asg. what should we expect now? a game of h-o-r-s-e?

1 hour ago, jmatt116 said:

the nba [messed] up not going east vs west. hate me now. kick me from the forums, i dont care. I'm glad i can talk to you guys who actually know stuff and design and dislike 8/10 things that nike has changed or produced. taking away the finals script was strike 1. strike 2 was jersey ads. strike 3 is a non east vs. west asg. what should we expect now? a game of h-o-r-s-e?

I feel like strike 3 would've been changing the "Home, Road & Alternate" jersey names to Icon, Association, Statement and Icon or whatever and forcing every team to have to have 4 jerseys.

Also I like all star games East Vs West too, but all leagues are hungry to have better ratings for the games. MLB is the only one to stick with their traditional format this whole time.

6 hours ago, jmatt116 said:

the nba f'd up not going east vs west. hate me now. kick me from the forums, i dont care. I'm glad i can talk to you guys who actually know stuff and design and dislike 8/10 things that nike has changed or produced. taking away the finals script was strike 1. strike 2 was jersey ads. strike 3 is a non east vs. west asg. what should we expect now? a game of h-o-r-s-e?

Umm...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_All-Star_Weekend_H–O–R–S–E_Competition

30 minutes ago, TheFallenHaveRisen said:

http://www.nba.com/heat/1718-heat-vice-uniform-collection

Decent video hyping up the Vice uniforms, nothing actually shown

Still don't get why these three (Raptors, Knicks, Heat) waited so long to officially unveil them. I mean, Footlocker.com is already selling Vice jerseys.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 1/11/2018 at 4:01 PM, cajunaggie08 said:

Did the rockets ever make an official release of their City Edition uniform?

They have appeared on the rockets team shop website and I saw them hanging on the rack at a local Academy

Men_s_Harden_SM_City_Jersey_Front_480x48

Laziest jersey ever. Really Houston? Much rather have seen a sleeveless version of the grey jersey.

It would have been hilarious if Memphis hadn't worn their I AM A MAN jerseys today, but they are. They look fine.

And of course the Lakers are playing on the road in yellow. I'm getting used to yellow vs white matchups, but I still don't like it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived