(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

On 6/9/2017 at 5:04 PM, HedleyLamarr said:

And as someone touched on before, hockey will always lag behind other sports simply due to it being a pricey game.  Paying for ice time, all the equipment, etc...all you need for soccer and football is a ball with makeshift goal boundaries marked with shirts or trees.  You can play a form of baseball with unblossomed pinecones and a stick.

A friend of my dad's was convinced his son was gonna make the NHL and allow him to retire comfortably, so he spent his retirement fund, just about every penny he had taking his son to camps (he lived in Alaska, so airfare outside wasn't cheap), paid for all the best equipment he could find, and even turned his yard into a rink. Turns out the kid just developed early, was bigger than the other kids, and when he got to high school, the other kids had caught up and he wasn't as good. Now the guy is mad at his son for screwing up his future and making him think he was so good. Won't ever admit the fault was his, blames the kid for screwing up his retirement and won't even talk to him anymore. Kicked him out of the house once he graduated and complains how his son ruined everything for him.

I don't even mention this around him when I go see my dad. I have to get updates about him (he was a nice kid, just couldn't live up to his dad's unrealistic expectations) from his siblings.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HedleyLamarr said:

That whistle bullshat needs to be reviewable.  Referee errors can't be looked at, but linesmen errors take away goals all the time.

Since they always have the "intent to blow the whistle" card up their sleeves, the refs really need to give an extra second to see things through.

As the rules stand, the goal should have been waived off, the whistle was blown. That being said, @HedleyLamarr is right, things like that should be reviewable. That whistle was awfully quick, and that's the only reason it was a non-goal.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 minutes ago, charger77 said:

There is no way to fix an early whistle. Pittsburgh could say, we stopped when the whistle blew. 

It took TV replaying it three times and enhancing the sound to hear the whistle somewhat clearly.  Penguins can't claim something that was hardly audible.  Forsberg only heard it because he was in front of the ref.  Hardly anyone else reacted until the ref was waving his arms.

Sports need a benevolent dictator and less bureaucratic rule obsession. Someone to be able to step in and say, "The ref blew the whistle too early, and no Penguins had a chance to stop what was going on. Good goal." Even most Penguins fans would probably agree. We don't need to ruin every game going forward with stupid coaches' challenges just because Matt Duchene was a mile offsides one time. We just need a person to step in when everyone and their mother knows what happened, but the "rules" don't agree.

16446563124_940532453f_o.jpg

Just now, Cosmic said:

Sports need a benevolent dictator and less bureaucratic rule obsession. Someone to be able to step in and say, "The ref blew the whistle too early, and no Penguins had a chance to stop what was going on. Good goal." Even most Penguins fans would probably agree. We don't need to ruin every game going forward with stupid coaches' challenges just because Matt Duchene was a mile offsides one time. We just need a person to step in when everyone and their mother knows what happened, but the "rules" don't agree.

Give the responsibility to Toronto. Aspects of what they do are already in line with that.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 minute ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Give the responsibility to Toronto. Aspects of what they do are already in line with that.

I would honestly love some type of hybrid system where officials in Toronto could tell the on-ice officials that somebody took a dive (instead of a high stick), stop the game for a penalty, watch for obvious offsides, etc. You could figure a lot of this stuff out on TV by the time the ref skates to the bench. Keep the game moving.

3 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

It would work this time, but far more often it wouldn't. Just don't blow the whistle until the play is done.

It's where I sit.

Archived