(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Holding someone's leg because they're repeatedly punching your head into the ice isn't even close to matching infractions. It should've been a power play for Nashville, not offsetting minors. One is violent and the other is self-defense and if anyone pulled that :censored: on Crosby they would've gotten a game misconduct. 

Kerry Fraser thought it should've been an extra two for 87. 

Kerry Fraser was an NHL official for 30 years and will soon be in the Hockey hall of fame so he knows a little bit about what he's talking about.

Ummm, Subban holding Crosby's stick and leg and keeping him from getting up could have been called too. Also the ref's ignored Subban punching Sid in the head in Game 1 and have let A LOT of things slide in this series so this monocle dropping and pearl clutching for Sid "giving the business" to Subban is kind of funny.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

It was one of the most evenly matched series we've seen, complete with one of the most exciting finishes to a Stanley Cup Final I can remember. 

The two goals in 17 seconds by Chicago was one of the more exciting moments in sports history. Couple that with beating the Bruins (yes, I'm still salty over the '13 ECF) and you have a great Final. It wasn't as good as 2011 or 09, but it was good none the less. I'd venture to say 2015 was another underrated gem even though the world knew Chicago would win.

9 hours ago, ninersdd said:

2016 was kinda weird. The Penguins were clearly the better team, yet all 6 games were one goal games throwing out the empty net goals.

The series was relatively low scoring, and the games were usually within at least two goals of each other. I think the problem with '16 is similar to the problem with '15...the Penguins were such huge favorites against SJ and people were just looking to tip their hat at most anything. Like Tampa, SJ carried their weight and made the series competitive, but ultimately succumbed to the Pens.

NSFCvyu.png

Kerry Frasier.  I HATED that guy in the 1980s.  I thought he had it in for the North Stars.  I'm sure it was based on one bad call and he did not, in fact, have it in for the North Stars. Nevertheless, that's the only 1980s NHL offical I can name. :)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

21 minutes ago, ltp74 said:

Ummm, Subban holding Crosby's stick and leg and keeping him from getting up could have been called too. Also the ref's ignored Subban punching Sid in the head in Game 1 and have let A LOT of things slide in this series so this monocle dropping and pearl clutching for Sid "giving the business" to Subban is kind of funny.

Maybe he should've gotten a penalty, but offsetting minors that results in a 4 on 4 goal for the Penguins? Give me a break. You should've been on the penalty kill and you know it. Subban never resorted to that level of violence in the previous games. False equivalence.

Take off your homer hat for a minute. If that happens to Crosby would you be cool with it? Of course not. Crosby was accidentally ball tapped by Brandon Dubinsky and Penguins fans wanted Dubinsky to face a civil trial. A month later Crosby went out and deliberately did the same thing to Ryan OReilly and it was crickets, and "part of the game". 

He's the Lebron James of the NHL if Lebron James behaved like Draymond Green. It's disappointing. Thankfully we now have Connor McDavid to provide a good face for the league. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, charger77 said:

2015 was entertaining too. 

Horrible outcome, however. 

28 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Kerry Frasier.  I HATED that guy in the 1980s.  I thought he had it in for the North Stars.  I'm sure it was based on one bad call and he did not, in fact, have it in for the North Stars. Nevertheless, that's the only 1980s NHL offical I can name. :)

Don Koharski, of donut-eating fame, also comes from the '80s.

spacer.png

Just now, Kramerica Industries said:

Horrible outcome, however. 

Don Koharski, of donut-eating fame, also comes from the '80s.

That name definitely rings a bell...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

"This is why I am not a sports fan. You just can't invest."

My co-worker said this about last night's Crosby incident(s) and the lack of response from the officials. I *work* for a hockey team. This, coupled with ? heads like Mike Milbury, is why the NHL will never be taken seriously by the American public.

#MakeItSeven

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

A friendly reminder. You can disagree about officiating to your heart's content but don't cross the line into personal insults.

Sorry. 

;-)

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 hours ago, Bradbury said:

"This is why I am not a sports fan. You just can't invest."

My co-worker said this about last night's Crosby incident(s) and the lack of response from the officials. I *work* for a hockey team. This, coupled with ? heads like Mike Milbury, is why the NHL will never be taken seriously by the American public.

#MakeItSeven

Unfortunately, I don't tend to think any of this is why the NHL is a fringe sport in the US.

Media and officials favoring star players is a huge issue in basketball, but I don't think it's chased many people away.  Some people think incidents like Brashear or Burtuzzi turn off fans.  Maybe. Who knows?

I think hockey has other disadvantages that are just inherent to the game...particularly when it comes to the attraction of casual fans:

• Star time on the ice.  NBA Superstars tend to play 40-45 minutes out of 48 (in big games, anyway).  NHL stars play less than half the game.
  • "Who's on the ice?" Changing on the fly probably drives fans looking for Crosby or Ovi nuts.  It's the one sport in which you are not always certain who's out there (OK, football, but the changing at least occurs between plays and is more often acknowledge by announcers.  
  • Two intermissions.  Sure it's far less aggravating the constant stop/start (and more frequent commercial breaks) in football and basketball, but it's something fans perceive as making the game a drag. 
  • "You can't see the puck on TV."  Again, a perception thing, but I think it's an issue.  Remember the glow puck (or whatever it was called)?  It was awful, but I did not blame them for trying it.  It's also more difficult to appreciate the speed and athleticism on TV.  
  • Low scoring.  Like it or not, it matters.  It's why we have the DH, why MLB let steroids go for a while, why the pitchers mound was lowered back in the 60s, etc.  Again, a perception issue; that low-scoring = no action/excitement.  Remember after one of the work stoppages, all the talk of a larger net, smaller goalie pads, etc.  I am glad that never happened, but it may have been helpful in attracting casual fans...8-5 may look better to some of them than 3-2.
  • In this age of 1,000 TV channels, sun-belt teams, and a generally shrinking world, I don't think "southern weather" is the impediment it used to be.  But certainly, fewer kids in warmer parts of the country ever put on skates.  Everyone at least goes out and "shoots hoops," plays touch football, and plays catch.  Of the "big 4" (and 5 with soccer), hockey's the one that probably has the least "hands-on" experience with organized play and casual play.

Anyway, a lot of these issues are perception.  It's too bad because I think most people could adapt to seeing the puck, changing on the fly, etc. Especially if they get more and more burned out on super teams and predictable playoffs...there's none of that on ice!  And given the speed, physical play (which we LOVE), and digestible pace, I feel like if all sports fans somehow agreed to "Give it a Chance" for the 2018 playoffs, a lot of them might stick with it.  You don't need to know what a neutral zone trap is to enjoy it at roughly the same level of knowledge most people enjoy football at.

POTD (Shared)

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

The TV ratings are actually pretty good this year. Game 4 got a 4.1 and won NBC the night. 

Social media's made it far more immersive an experience, but it's also free advertising for the league and as a result more people at the very least know it's happening than they would've 10-15 years ago even if they're not watching. I think the league's carved out a really good niche. I've never cared about ratings, but the sport feels far more accessible and mainstream than it did even when the games were on espen. This morning coworkers were asking me about Crosby's assault last night and I wouldn't have wagered on them even knowing hockey existed before today. 

But yeah we absolutely need to get Mike Milbury to stop speaking on behalf of the sport. He's a joke. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

20 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

But yeah we absolutely need to get Mike Milbury to stop speaking on behalf of the sport. He's a joke. 

I've said before that I have no idea how he even has an analyst gig. Being told I have to take seriously the opinions of the undisputed worst GM in the league's history might just be peak OITGDNHL.

Looking at the play from that gif... well :censored:, I wonder why PK was pulling on Crosby's leg? Maybe it's because he was trying to get the guy beating his head into the ice off of him!

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

Remember the glow puck (or whatever it was called)?

FoxTrax. Canadian comedians used to make fun of that thing for years.

I think the NHL is a fringe sport for all the reasons you mentioned and one more: money. Hockey is a relatively expensive sport to play. Think about it: you only need a football to play a pick up game, a ball and hoop for basketball, and while you need a diamond and bat to play a proper game of baseball, you only need a ball and mitt to play catch. For hockey, you need to purchase sticks, helmets, gloves, pucks, and (for ice hockey) skates. All that equipment adds to the dollar tally. Add in that you need to find a proper rink, and you can see how bad the logistics can be. It's much easier for an 8 year-old to grab his/her soccer ball and kick it in the backyard rather than coax his/her parents into joining an expensive rec hockey league.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I think this is one thing all 30 31 fanbases can agree on.

NSFCvyu.png

PK Subban is my beautiful perfect precious boy and they only called a penalty on him because Canadians are racist. Am I doing this right, Hockey Twittereddit?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Are people seriously bringing in the race card? I never used Twitter and abandoned Reddit long ago.

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

1 minute ago, FlyEaglesFly76 said:

Are people seriously bringing in the race card? I never used Twitter and abandoned Reddit long ago.

I mean, I'm sure somebody is, but not anywhere I've looked.

Archived