(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

2 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Well, let's go back to 2007, shall we? 

At the time Nashville had made the playoffs in 4 of their 9 seasons, but had never gotten past the 1st round. They were moving upward in attendance, but had hit an all-time low in the 2003-04 season, averaging just over 13,000 fans a game. Their best player was an aging Paul Kariya at 32 & the goaltending was split between Tomas Vokoun & Chris Mason. The best player in the history of the team at the time (& still is) was David Legwand, a guy who averaged 40 points a season. TBH, I get where @Ice_Cap was coming from at the time. Now? They've shown hockey could work in a market no-one expected & have made the Cup Final & tied the series at 2 apiece. All in all, it's a great story & if they win it all, I'll be happy for the fans down Nashville. . 

The bigger point is that giving a team less than ten years to "solidify a fanbase" is total crap. It's also worth mentioning that this was around the time Balsillie was in hot pursuit of purchasing the Predators, so there was a personal gain in this for Icecap.  Let's just say there was some bias involved in his argument.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

The bigger point is that giving a team less than ten years to "solidify a fanbase" is total crap.

I agree, to a point. Atlanta, unfortunately, needed to move. That had less to do with the fans, and was more about management and lack of a local buyer.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

8 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Let's just say there was some bias involved in his argument.

As there was in yours. 

I've been busy with other things so I have no idea how my name came up. 

Regardless, the "regional pissing match ban" is still in place. So everyone please keep that in mind.

Happy to see I didn't appear in that thread over ten years ago (wow). 

I never thought Nashville a failure as a market. I think their attendance dip during that period was for reasons three: 1. Jim Balsilie was selling tickets for their team in another city, that'll damage the psyche of any fanbase and turn people off from getting emotionally invested. 2. We were still just a few years removed from the lockout, and like Columbus that season off really did a lot of damage for the perception of the league from casual ticket buyers. 3. They were still young in what was largely a transplant city. Now you're seeing fans who grew up as Nashville residents with the Predators in their lives. In 2007 those ticket buying people were actual children and as you know children have very little money of their own. 

After 2007 the league told Jim Balsillie to :censored: off, Blackberry tanked, they put together more winning seasons, attendance rose with success, they "solidified a base" that was able to weather some down years, and they got off Canadian Relocation Deathrow. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I agree, to a point. Atlanta, unfortunately, needed to move. That had less to do with the fans, and was more about management and lack of a local buyer.

Technically, that management also cares very little about the Hawks. They ranked 26th in attendance this year, down 4 spots from the previous season. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Haven`t we sort of been down this road before with Carolina? They were well supported in the years leading up to and after their Cup win. Now look. It seems that hockey in the south is more of a trend that comes and goes, rather than consistently supported.

Don`t get me wrong- I`m happy to see hockey doing well down there. The sunbelt expansion phase was definitely an experiment, and as with most experiments, some fail and some succeed.

Tampa Bay is a success. 

Dallas is a success.

L.A. is a success.

San Jose is a success.

Nashville seems to be a success. 

Carolina and Florida`s long term fates are yet to be seen.

Atlanta was a double failure. 

Phoenix was a failure.

Las Vegas will be a colossal failure within 7 years. 

sig.png

Well, it's been a rough two games for me. The bounces that were going the Pens way in the first two games have gone to Nashville, and the play by their stellar defensemen and Rinne's resurgence have tied the series.

The Pens look tired right now. Hopefully they have enough in the tank to muster two more wins.

NSFCvyu.png

16 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

No, it was "Owners wouldn't sell to anyone local unless they paid them a princely sum for rent or had plans to build an NHL-sized arena".  The Thrashers were being evicted from their own building by an ownership group that never cared about them.

6 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Technically, that management also cares very little about the Hawks. They ranked 26th in attendance this year, down 4 spots from the previous season. 

New ownership now.

Game 5, I feel, is must-win for the Penguins.  They haven't played poorly in Nashville, but they haven't haven't played that great in this series either, aside from the final 10 minutes of the first period in Game 1 and the 3rd period of Game 2.  Nashville is going to be throwing quite the party on Sunday, which means their fans are going to have virtually all weekend to get lubricated up and be even more rowdy than the rest of the playoffs.  You could see some "Don't want any" from some of the Penguins last night, including Malkin.  The pressure's on Pittsburgh to hold-serve.

^ I've been thinking the same thing. The pressure has clearly shifted to the Penguins at this point. And I believe they know it. If Nashville wins game 5 up there, I personally believe there's no way they DON'T win game 6 back down here. And if that happens, this city is going to erupt. And I'm going to enjoy it immensely...right up here from my little alcove up north of Briley Parkway. :)

I do find one thing funny, however...that somehow the Predators went from being so many people's favorite team to hate (on) during the regular season to now having virtually 90% of the hockey fandom rally behind them. And I get why--it's because of who they're playing, and probably more to the point the city that club represents, one that's been spoiled with championships left and right throughout the years, with seemingly every bounce of chance luck going their way, as McCarthy explained so well some pages back.  People are done with it. It's my second hometown, I still have a personal attachment there and I BEEN done with it. (Although i am noticing that somehow this Cup Finals seems to be finally divorcing me from my Pittsburgh attachment to some degree. Sports fandom doesn't make sense, sometimes.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

8 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

Well, it's been a rough two games for me. The bounces that were going the Pens way in the first two games have gone to Nashville, and the play by their stellar defensemen and Rinne's resurgence have tied the series.

The Pens look tired right now. Hopefully they have enough in the tank to muster two more wins.

Why the hell are you clogging up this thread with... oh, well... uh... this is the playoff thread, I see.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:28 AM, KittSmith_95 said:

I don't feel it's fair to rag on a city, but Atlanta has been known to have laze-faire fanbase. There is a lot to do in the city and that might distract people from watching sports teams, even the successful ones (90s Braves anyone?).

15 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Why the hell are you clogging up this thread with... oh, well... uh... this is the playoff thread, I see.

It's my civic duty to bog as many conversations as possible.

NSFCvyu.png

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

Thought this final would be write-off after the first two games but instead I find myself legitimately nervous for tonight.  Please pull this off Nashville.

You have another day to relax.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

20 hours ago, Morgo said:

:P  The time off between games in this series is ridiculous.

It's only a two day layoff. Not long at all, although the wait was only a day in the not-too-distant past.

I feel my Pens are gonna take this one, but I've been wrong before. Regardless of my prediction, this is the most important game of the series tonight. If we win, I think it goes six, maybe seven. If the Preds win, they'll hoist the Cup at Bridgestone.

NSFCvyu.png

Archived