(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, RockyTopper said:

It's historic that they're going back to back, whatever, but why did it have to happen to two cupless teams who waited 2 decades for their first appearance back to back man?

9 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Unless Matt Murray does a 2011 Luongo impression in Nashville, freaking Pittsburgh's gonna win again.

I can't wait until their Cup window closes and they go back to being just another team.

You can already see cracks in the armor. Our defensive depth is lacking, and with all the injuries Letang has suffered in his career, there's a serious question mark as to how long he'll continue playing. We do have young guys with promise such as Rust and Guentzel, but our 3rd and 4th line centers are way up there in age (Matt Cullen's done after this series). As it stands, we're either gonna have to call people up from Wilkes-Barre and/or scout out FA in the offseason for replacements. The pending loss of Fleury also removes the security blanket for Matt Murray, should he regress or suffer injury.

So the window is limited to now, which is why I'm enjoying this run. While I would be happy to win the Cup against any opponent, I would prefer it be against a franchise with a lot of success (Chiacgo) or that I hate (LA). I felt kind of bad for the Sharks because they had spent years toiling away in the West and they finally broke through that wall, only to run into a buzz-saw. Nashville is in a similar boat, although I wouldn't write them off just yet. I remember when the Red Wings were heavy favorites to repeat in '09 and led 2-0 going to Pittsburgh, only to lose in 7. It's still a series until I see all four W's.

NSFCvyu.png

11 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Next year, which team in the West gets fed to the Pittsburgh Penguins in the finals. Make your pick...

I have a feeling we'll see Edmonton advance through the West; only to lose to Pittsburgh in 5.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

37 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Next year, which team in the West gets fed to the Pittsburgh Penguins in the finals. Make your pick...

Vegas Golden Knights: first-year Stanley Cup champions. Screencap this.

Seriously, though I at least think they'll make the playoffs as a wild card.

53Ocz8U.png

4 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I have a feeling we'll see Edmonton advance through the West; only to lose to Pittsburgh in 5.

Edmonton will win it all next year.  Pittsburgh will have a hangover and a second round letdown.

5 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

Vegas Golden Knights: first-year Stanley Cup champions. Screencap this.

Seriously, though I at least think they'll make the playoffs as a wild card.

The NHL wants them to succeed. This ensures the worst regular season in history because the NHL is run by incompetent boobs. 

9 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The NHL wants them to succeed. This ensures the worst regular season in history because the NHL is run by incompetent boobs. 

3bc22f14d3eb4a5fe165c63846285cddd9c4af6828d8b93a4680ddb36f10bcdd.jpg

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

13 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

bluefooted-booby.jpg

This booby takes offense at the thought that a member of its species could be as incompetent as the NHL's bosses.

13 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

You can already see cracks in the armor. Our defensive depth is lacking, and with all the injuries Letang has suffered in his career, there's a serious question mark as to how long he'll continue playing. We do have young guys with promise such as Rust and Guentzel, but our 3rd and 4th line centers are way up there in age (Matt Cullen's done after this series). As it stands, we're either gonna have to call people up from Wilkes-Barre and/or scout out FA in the offseason for replacements. The pending loss of Fleury also removes the security blanket for Matt Murray, should he regress or suffer injury.

So the window is limited to now, which is why I'm enjoying this run. While I would be happy to win the Cup against any opponent, I would prefer it be against a franchise with a lot of success (Chiacgo) or that I hate (LA). I felt kind of bad for the Sharks because they had spent years toiling away in the West and they finally broke through that wall, only to run into a buzz-saw. Nashville is in a similar boat, although I wouldn't write them off just yet. I remember when the Red Wings were heavy favorites to repeat in '09 and led 2-0 going to Pittsburgh, only to lose in 7. It's still a series until I see all four W's.

You don't need to feel too bad about that one. I was kind of expecting the aging Sharks to get blasted at some point in those playoffs, but I didn't think it'd happen in the Stanley Cup Finals. It was a "happy to be there" moment, and it wasn't that much of a heart breaker. Losing the Stanley Cup Finals will never hurt as much as the 2014 reverse-sweep.

I do feel sorry for the Predators. I've grown to like them, and I want to see what they can do with the other powers in the conference.

8 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Please don't make me go through that.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

I think the Oilers are the team best situated for a good run of seasons next. Can they win it all next year? Yes. Will then? Probably still just a few games short. But it wouldn't surprise me at all that they're in the final.

Pittsburgh, though, is a tough nut to crack. And for all the conspiracy theorists out there, the big issue and why it becomes a big topic, is that the Penguins have the highest home (U.S.) market rating for games on local cable. In Pittsburgh, the Penguins really are the second favorite team, which is hard for a lot of markets to garner support to an NHL team like that.

So, it does give the idea that the NHL would, if given the choice, to have them in the final since that will carry over to Cup viewership on NBCSN. I know the Canadian issue is brought up, but it would be a financial blow to the gut if the NHL had Nashville-Ottawa this year. And everyone knows it. Sadly, the Canadian teams especially.

On June 1, 2017 at 9:21 AM, JWhiz96 said:

While I would be happy to win the Cup against any opponent, I would prefer it be against a franchise with a lot of success (Chiacgo) or that I hate (LA). I felt kind of bad for the Sharks because they had spent years toiling away in the West and they finally broke through that wall, only to run into a buzz-saw. Nashville is in a similar boat, although I wouldn't write them off just yet. I remember when the Red Wings were heavy favorites to repeat in '09 and led 2-0 going to Pittsburgh, only to lose in 7. It's still a series until I see all four W's.

To me, as a fan of Pittsburgh in general, I could not give a fat rats foot who Pittsburgh plays, especially in the finals. I don't care if we face a team that has been around for 100 years, has never win a thing, their coach just lost his wife, and their star player is blind in one eye and their child just got cancer. If they face Pittsburgh in a finals...any finals...sorry about your luck but there is a shinny trophy at the end of this game and we want it. I have never felt bad about beating any team in a finals. That's why we are there, that's why they are there...to win the big one, to be champions, and you have to earn it. No one DESERVES to be champion, oh you have teams that go into a championship seemingly destined to win only to come up short. Patriots/Giants Super Bowl comes to mind. But that's why we play the games. 

You are right, though, about all 4 W's. Going into Nashville up 2 is good but there are 5 more possible games to play before those 4 are collected...by either team.

I'm finally in Nashville. In other news, it's official. I am only willing to come to Nashville, in the summer, for the Stanley Cup finals.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

25 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I'm finally in Nashville. In other news, it's official. I am only willing to come to Nashville, in the summer, for the Stanley Cup finals.

...lucky guy...it should be a blast...don't they have an Alan Jackson concert lined up for the game?

Anyway, I called for the Preds to win in 7, which means that Pittsburgh would have to win 3...

Things are falling right into place :lol:.

Archived