(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

21 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

...lucky guy...it should be a blast...don't they have an Alan Jackson concert lined up for the game?

Anyway, I called for the Preds to win in 7, which means that Pittsburgh would have to win 3...

Things are falling right into place :lol:.

The plaza/Broadway party was great! They shut down Broadway, from Bridgestone, all the way to the river.

18 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Win or lose, enjoy the hell out of this.  Could be a once-a-lifetime deal.

It was everything I hoped it would be. Usually, I prefer closer games, but us being down, and considering what I paid, I'm ok with the lack of nerve fraying.

As an added bonus, I got to meet Butch Jones, and was sitting close enough to high-five him, after every goal.

11 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Not gonna lie, the noise in Nashvillle put San Jose last year to shame.

I can't remember it ever being louder, and I have almost no voice today.

This trip was worth every penny, and I still have the plaza party, for game 4.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

As an added bonus, I got to meet Butch Jones, and was sitting close enough to high-five him, after every goal.

Champion of Life.

I've been pimping how great an atmosphere Nashville has for hockey for years, and those were just regular season games.  I'm glad they're getting to show the entire hockey world just what an enthusiastic and incredible fanbase the Predators have.  The pictures and videos I've seen from yesterday were nothing short of incredible.  It felt on par with the Gold Medal game in Vancouver back in 2010.

2 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I lived in the Nashville area, for a few years. This is actually the first time I've been back, in two years. My ex-wife acts like she got the whole city, in the divorce. I usually don't find the draw strong enough to deal with her BS.

I know the feeling of needing to avoid contact with certain people. Hope it's better now.

I thought Guentzel had a free goal, there. Incredible save, by Pekka!

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

21 minutes ago, MiK said:

Why did the horn sound like that for the second goal? That was so odd.

One of the fairly-recent rules changes.  If the NHL Video Office sees a definitive goal, they stop play to get the ref's attention that there's a good goal.

It's to prevent extra play from taking place, especially if there's a long stretch of play with no stoppage. 

It's impressive that the Preds have had this run while having to play on the road so much considering how much better they've been at home. Just gotta get one in Pittsburgh now. 

A few days ago, I was already waving a white flag. That 1st Pittsburgh goal in Game 3 felt like the first nail in the coffin. And then, the Preds went crazy and now the series is tied. Fantastic job, Nashville!!

Nashville is going to have to defy history if they want to clinch the Cup on home ice in game 6:

Since the NHL expanded in 1967-68, only twice has a team lost game 5 at home in a Cup Final when the series is tied 2-2: 2001 and 2004.

Unfortunately, both teams proceeded to lose games 6-7.

On 6/3/2017 at 10:25 PM, SabresRule7361 said:

Not gonna lie, the noise in Nashvillle put San Jose last year to shame.

Sorry, but it was decided on this forum ten years ago that Nashville's never going to work as a hockey market.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Well, let's go back to 2007, shall we? 

At the time Nashville had made the playoffs in 4 of their 9 seasons, but had never gotten past the 1st round. They were moving upward in attendance, but had hit an all-time low in the 2003-04 season, averaging just over 13,000 fans a game. Their best player was an aging Paul Kariya at 32 & the goaltending was split between Tomas Vokoun & Chris Mason. The best player in the history of the team at the time (& still is) was David Legwand, a guy who averaged 40 points a season. TBH, I get where @Ice_Cap was coming from at the time. Now? They've shown hockey could work in a market no-one expected & have made the Cup Final & tied the series at 2 apiece. All in all, it's a great story & if they win it all, I'll be happy for the fans down Nashville. . 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

As an objective Preds fan, @Ice_Cap wasn't off, on his assessment. If Balsillie hadn't been such an arrogant doofus, the Preds could very well be doing this in the Golden Horseshoe.

This just reaffirms my opinion that any metro of 2 million, or more, can succeed. It just takes better management than traditional markets can get away with. The way Nashville is capitalizing on things, now, will help them better weather the lean years when they eventually come.

Archived